Port Canaveral to MCO

It will be interesting to see just how different it will all be.  Who knows, it might not be that much different by that point.  HOPEFULLY, they will still do the self disembarking and we can get off the ship at a reasonable early hour.  I haven't booked my flights yet but wanting to do that this week or next.  I could do a slightly later flight but I really wanted to get home at a decent hour.  Meh, we'll see what the new processes are like and if we need to change flights, we can.

22 hours ago, Icesk8rReedy said:

It will be interesting to see just how different it will all be.  Who knows, it might not be that much different by that point.  HOPEFULLY, they will still do the self disembarking and we can get off the ship at a reasonable early hour.  I haven't booked my flights yet but wanting to do that this week or next.  I could do a slightly later flight but I really wanted to get home at a decent hour.  Meh, we'll see what the new processes are like and if we need to change flights, we can.

First and foremost, we need to see ships sail and reliably be allowed to return and disembark passengers at all.  

Second, we need to see what the disembarkation process will be like.  I suspect you can kiss the early disembarkation and quick departure goodbye, at least initially.  No doubt there will be some TSA/Customs&Immigration-esque new governmental cluster put in place that will not actually accomplish anything other than cost taxpayers $$$, create a new bureaucracy, and frustrate travelers.

But honestly, it's the first one that could absolutely kill the industry.  If we see ships sail and there's any sort of outbreak where the port refuses entry, they're screwed.  Most of us have zero appetite for being stuck on board longer than planned.  Sure, it sounds nice, but it really screws everything up.  I for one will not be willing to take that chance.

10 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

First and foremost, we need to see ships sail and reliably be allowed to return and disembark passengers at all.  

Second, we need to see what the disembarkation process will be like.  I suspect you can kiss the early disembarkation and quick departure goodbye, at least initially.  No doubt there will be some TSA/Customs&Immigration-esque new governmental cluster put in place that will not actually accomplish anything other than cost taxpayers $$$, create a new bureaucracy, and frustrate travelers.

But honestly, it's the first one that could absolutely kill the industry.  If we see ships sail and there's any sort of outbreak where the port refuses entry, they're screwed.  Most of us have zero appetite for being stuck on board longer than planned.  Sure, it sounds nice, but it really screws everything up.  I for one will not be willing to take that chance.

Could not agree more.

Not sure why anyone would book airfare right now not knowing which ships or intineraires are actually sailing.

Your ship may not even be sailing the departure from the port you think.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Not sure why anyone would book airfare right now not knowing which ships or intineraires are actually sailing.

I have seen some very good pricing for flights that I need. I guess some are willing to hedge their bets and lock in the pricing. I, however, have not pulled the trigger.

Jimbo; I think some people were booking air because they saw a great price.  Up until May 1st, all the US airlines would allow you to cancel, change, and modify your flight without incurring any fees.  So even if a cruise does not go later this year;  people don't have to worry about cancellation fees;  but they locked in a low price.  As of May 1st the big three US airlines have gone back to cancellation and change fees;  plus prices have gone up for int'l travel, so you have that to deal with too.  Have a nice day.

6 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Jimbo; I think some people were booking air because they saw a great price.  Up until May 1st, all the US airlines would allow you to cancel, change, and modify your flight without incurring any fees.  So even if a cruise does not go later this year;  people don't have to worry about cancellation fees;  but they locked in a low price.  As of May 1st the big three US airlines have gone back to cancellation and change fees;  plus prices have gone up for int'l travel, so you have that to deal with too.  Have a nice day.

Yeah, I can see if no change fee or hassle changing flights, but otherwise I wouldn't do it. To uncertain.

Our next cruises from the US are in March 2022 and October 2022...........Since we moved recently from NJ to Southwest Virginia, it's now only a 10 hour drive, we probably rent a car and drive to the cruise, rather then deal with airports.

Edited by Jimbo

Jimbo;  we live in Ohio and have to fly to all cruise ports.  It's a two day drive to Florida and a good 12 hrs to NY or Baltimore.  So we fly everywhere.  We have a Aug 2022 cruise out of AMS;  so won't bother looking at flights until Oct.  Have a great day.  Hope you are enjoying SW Virginia.  Are you near VMI or Virginia Tech area?  

24 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Because I can 🙂  And Delta rocks.  I have already talked to them and even if the cruises get changed around, they still work with you.

26 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I do most of my travel with JetBlue and have Mosaic status, so there are never any cancellation or change fees.  As such, I joke that I "invest in JetBlue futures!".  At any given time, I have probably a dozen flights booked and a couple hundred in travel bank credits.  As such, if I'm even considering a trip, and I like the price, I just book it because there is no downside.

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have seen some very good pricing for flights that I need. I guess some are willing to hedge their bets and lock in the pricing. I, however, have not pulled the trigger.

Delta has waived all change fees and I have a feeling some of the others will follow suit.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yeah, I can see if no change fee or hassle changing flights, but otherwise I wouldn't do it. To uncertain.

Our next cruises from the US are in March 2022 and October 2022...........Since we moved recently from NJ to Southwest Virginia, it's now only a 10 hour drive, we probably rent a car and drive to the cruise, rather then deal with airports.

Ten hours in a car would be torture for me and I enjoy flying. It is part of my vacation.

13 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Jimbo;  we live in Ohio and have to fly to all cruise ports.  It's a two day drive to Florida and a good 12 hrs to NY or Baltimore.  So we fly everywhere.  We have a Aug 2022 cruise out of AMS;  so won't bother looking at flights until Oct.  Have a great day.  Hope you are enjoying SW Virginia.  Are you near VMI or Virginia Tech area?  

Yes, 40 minutes, 40 miles from Blacksburg, Hokie Land !

VMI is (100 miles from us) north  from us.

90 miles to the south of us is Bristol, TN/VA

Edited by Jimbo

5 minutes ago, Icesk8rReedy said:

Delta has waived all change fees and I have a feeling some of the others will follow suit.

As of May 1st those change fees have gone away.  Delta, American, and United have started up the fees.  If you booked prior to May 1st; you are protected.  But I agree Delta does rock. 

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The airlines are basically waving change fees, so why not book now?  Get the flight and seat you want, and possibly get a lower price to boot.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ten hours in a car would be torture for me and I enjoy flying. It is part of my vacation.

Piece of cake, pack car the night before, leave at 4:30am,  with a few bathroom breaks ,  by 3:30 pm feet are in the pool.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same here, more than 3 hours in a car and I fly instead. I've lived in the DC area for 25 years and the traffic is horrible. I much prefer flying, anyway.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Same here, more than 3 hours in a car and I fly instead. I've lived in the DC area for 25 years and the traffic is horrible. I much prefer flying, anyway.

My limit is right around the 8hr drive time. Anything less then that, I can get there quicker in my car and not have to deal with all of the TSA and airplane stuff.

We have a fall cruise planed out of PC and will drive down, but it's also 11 people, so the flight cost is pretty high.

1 hour ago, ArthurUSCG said:

My limit is right around the 8hr drive time. Anything less then that, I can get there quicker in my car and not have to deal with all of the TSA and airplane stuff.

We have a fall cruise planed out of PC and will drive down, but it's also 11 people, so the flight cost is pretty high.

8 hours? Yikes! We have TSA precheck so we typically don't have to wait very long, but I know airports can be a hassle sometimes. Not everyone's the same. Since we live in DC we have 3 airports nearby so there's a lot of competition and thus low prices. OTOH my friend who lives in Helena, MT is always saying how expensive it is for her to fly. Not a whole lot of options up there.

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

8 hours? Yikes! We have TSA precheck so we typically don't have to wait very long, but I know airports can be a hassle sometimes. Not everyone's the same. Since we live in DC we have 3 airports nearby so there's a lot of competition and thus low prices. OTOH my friend who lives in Helena, MT is always saying how expensive it is for her to fly. Not a whole lot of options up there.

I'm down in Southern MD. Figure on, 1:30 hr drive to BWI or DCA, 1:30 hr for travel from parking lot to gate, 2hr non stop flight, 1 hr deplane + rental pickup, that's 6 hours assuming everything goes right. So, anywhere within 8 hrs drive time puts me arriving about the same time.

If the flight is flying thru Chicago, I add at least 5 hrs for flight delays, I've never laded in Chicago on time, twice the plane has had to land in Indianapolis, 1 time we had to wait for a replacement crew to fly in so we could leave Chicago. I'd rather be in my own car conformable and listening to music then stuck in a tin can, with the person in-front of me trying to destroy my knee caps.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I'm down in Southern MD. Figure on, 1:30 hr drive to BWI or DCA, 1:30 hr for travel from parking lot to gate, 2hr non stop flight, 1 hr deplane + rental pickup, that's 6 hours assuming everything goes right. So, anywhere within 8 hrs drive time puts me arriving about the same time.

If the flight is flying thru Chicago, I add at least 5 hrs for flight delays, I've never laded in Chicago on time, twice the plane has had to land in Indianapolis, 1 time we had to wait for a replacement crew to fly in so we could leave Chicago. I'd rather be in my own car conformable and listening to music then stuck in a tin can, with the person in-front of me trying to destroy my knee caps.

and coughing on you the whole flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I'd rather be in my own car conformable and listening to music then stuck in a tin can, with the person in-front of me trying to destroy my knee caps.

I totally get the knee cap thing.  Solve it by flying first class.  Plenty of space, and they used to serve food and drinks (we haven't flown since the shutdown) which you don't get when you drive.

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Living in DC area ages a person ten years.  I hear you about flying over three hours in car

• Like 1