Viking Homelands Aug 2021 and MVJ

dwlmg

This morning, 4 May 2021, our booking in MVJ for our Aug 2021 Viking Homelands cruise was in 'view only' mode. In addition, the calendar indicates we are going Reykjavik, Iceland to Bergan, Norway. On the Viking website, all 2021 dates for Viking Homelands have been removed.  It does not look good.

I just call the viking TA.  He said they have locked accounts for 48 hours for maintenance.  I asked him if they had canceled cruises on viking Homeland.  He said no... they cancel about 2 months out.  But still will have to agree with you.  Not looking good

We are booked on the August 9th British Isles Explorer and have the same questions.  The 2021 tab on the Viking website for that cruise has also disappeared.  In another wrinkle, the calendar on MVJ showed us traveling from Croatia to Oslo.  I called Viking and they said they were having technical issues with the website and that our booking was still correct.  We will just have to see...

It might just be me but I have had trouble in the last few months with the web site.  I spent about a month not being able to log into my Viking.  Finally was able to get in but then got shut out again.  Hope they get it fixed

3 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

FYI I just tried to log in again and they have a banner that says site is under maintenance......

Just received the same message. Our next cruise isn't until 2023, so no chance that ours is locked for a pending cancellation.

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Just received the same message. Our next cruise isn't until 2023, so no chance that ours is locked for a pending cancellation.

Interesting that we are completely locked out of the site. Usually, it is just that I can log in but it is read only or that I can't see anything after logging in.

Sounds like they are doing a lot of work on the site.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

Interesting that we are completely locked out of the site. Usually, it is just that I can log in but it is read only or that I can't see anything after logging in.

Sounds like they are doing a lot of work on the site.

Yes... trust me they need to do a lot of work on the site.....I bet I have spent 8 hours on the phone with IT and TA's.  It's always the same thing... erase cookies... use a different browser..... change your password...We are not sure that using a Mac will work....Really?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I just call the viking TA.  He said they have locked accounts for 48 hours for maintenance.

MVJ is available again. What ever had the shut down for a few hours has been taken care of and they are open for business again.

I’m having the same problem... I can’t log into MVJ at all... our British Isles Explorer Cruise for August 2021 is not on the “main” website either...makes me really nervous...we got cancelled from Viking Sun when it went to China...before the website went down we were flying to Croatia rather than London and we didn’t have a cabin number...we’ve been so focused on this cruise...I’m really hoping it really is website and not another cancellation...I want to go have a drink in the Explorers Lounge and watch the world!  Could they be reloading excursions? That’s what I was hoping at first... now I’m just nervous.

I think it too early for them to be canceling.  But we will see.  Not much we can do about it.  I called the viking TA and they have no idea...Let's see what happens in the next day or two.  My hope is ( yes call me a dreamer also) that they are working on excursions.

5 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I think it too early for them to be canceling.  But we will see.  Not much we can do about it.  I called the viking TA and they have no idea...Let's see what happens in the next day or two.  My hope is ( yes call me a dreamer also) that they are working on excursions.

I'm bursting your bubble. It is never too early. You are seeing the first signs of possible cancellations: you can't get into MVJ even though other people can, your sailing is no longer on the Viking website.

Everything you are seeing points to pending cancellations. The Viking TAs do not get advanced notice --  so that they can't spill the beans.

The only upside of all if this is the possibility that  Viking will add additional sailings for Iceland and Bermuda. When the first sailings were announced, it was the same day cancellations were announced--and the sailings were sold out with in 24 hours.  I heartily suggest that you decide now before any possible announcement whether you are interested in signing up should there be such an announcement. I'm crazy enough that I would already be in contact with my TA, telling her my plan and giving her the go ahead to contact Viking just as soon as booking opens

Read the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures to be sure you are willing to cruise under such restrictions and check out the current roll calls for  which every itinerary grabs you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I'm bursting your bubble. It is never too early. You are seeing the first signs of possible cancellations: you can't get into MVJ even though other people can, your sailing is no longer on the Viking website.

Everything you are seeing points to pending cancellations. The Viking TAs do not get advanced notice --  so that they can't spill the beans.

The only upside of all if this is the possibility that  Viking will add additional sailings for Iceland and Bermuda. When the first sailings were announced, it was the same day cancellations were announced--and the sailings were sold out with in 24 hours.  I heartily suggest that you decide now before any possible announcement whether you are interested in signing up should there be such an announcement. I'm crazy enough that I would already be in contact with my TA, telling her my plan and giving her the go ahead to contact Viking just as soon as booking opens

Read the COVID-19 Policies and Procedures to be sure you are willing to cruise under such restrictions and check out the current roll calls for  which every itinerary grabs you.

I hate to say it but you are probably right.  I had talked to the TA and of course they know nothing.  I will be shocked if they cancel if they don't do some more Iceland or Bermuda.  The Covid thing sure doesn't bother me.

On Monday, I checked on the Trade Routes cruise for Oct. 4 2021.  This cruise has been cancelled 3 times for us so we booked an Egypt River cruise in March,2022- cancelled because covid delayed completion of the Osiris.  Rebooked Egypt for May 23, 2022 but today I see temps in Luxor are 113.

Today I see that the Trade Routes for this year are gone.  I sincerely hope it is just the glitz.

We are scheduled for the Trade Routes on Oct 4 and my MVJ is locked and the itinerary is no longer listed available for 2021 😞 I wonder if they are going to use Venus to do some additional Burmuda/iceland/UK cruises?  

I  think  as Viking advertised: stay tuned for more Welcome to the World  8 day  cruises.... I bet they will have more Iceland ones and maybe Berumda before the big hurricane season. also more UK  cruises.  I also think they are thinkng about  some Med cruises around the islands of Greece which are open to tourists. 

They need to prove that their mitigation procedures work. Also they need to see other countries with lower COVID rates. and open ports. 

Edited by Azulann

1 hour ago, Porcupine 52 said:

I would be OK with Iceland if VHL is canceled.   With a 25% voucher it might be  a good trip

Go for cash back. They don't give refunds on the unused portion of a voucher -- and it doesn't carry over as a ship board credit.

The different in price between VHL and WelcomeBack: Iceland is huge -- unless you want to splurge on the Owner's Suite.

We have over $700 each still to spend. I'm hoping we can spend a lot of it on shorex, otherwise, it is going to the crew in tips, if I can figure out how to pay more than the suggested amount on MVJ. I hate leaving money on the table!

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Go for cash back. They don't give refunds on the unused portion of a voucher -- and it doesn't carry over as a ship board credit.

The different in price between VHL and WelcomeBack: Iceland is huge -- unless you want to splurge on the Owner's Suite.

We have over $700 each still to spend. I'm hoping we can spend a lot of it on shorex, otherwise, it is going to the crew in tips, if I can figure out how to pay more than the suggested amount on MVJ. I hate leaving money on the table!

There's always the jewelry store.

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Will do.  Still holding out a small hope that it is just maintenance like the TA said....... But very small hope.  I just check again this morning and MVJ is still down for me.

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Well Trip canceled and headed to Iceland... Maybe???  Probably with my luck the volcano will shut down air service.  Good advice Peregrina.  No way could you use the 25% voucher.  The price difference between the 2 cruises just didn't add up.  Taking the money is alway a good bet.