Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

19 hours ago, travelguy19 said:

I’m trying to find out more info. I just checked, and the Viking Venus is in Split, Croatia. So either they were taken off the ship before it left Malta, or (hopefully) it’s FB rumor/ misinformation. I apologize if that’s the case.

Think it was a rumor.   We are on and no issues

5 minutes ago, Pwalczyk said:

Think it was a rumor.   We are on and no issues

How was the excursions in Malta?  Do you have the general  prices for optional excursion offered by Viking?

I will be  in Malta on Oct12 for the beginning of my Viking Venus cruise.

Excursions for us have not been posted yet in our MVj. 

Hope you are having a great cruise. . 

Is anyone on the Greek Isles portion of the cruises able/willing to post some dailies?  I haven't seen any for a few days and wonder how the cruise has been going.  With all the fires in Athens, Rhodes, etc, would be curious what impact this is having.  The fires look just horrible.

We are scheduled for our August 13 cruise, assuming nothing changes.

(I look on Roll Calls, but those are pretty quiet.)

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, diana11 said:

It isn't a rumour. They were taken off the ship in Malta and the mother and daughter have been posting updates on facebook 

Would be interesting to know if they flew directly to Malta, if the ship testing caught the outbreak, and if they had a 72 hour PCR test before they left.....

15 hours ago, rizello said:

Is anyone on the Greek Isles portion of the cruises able/willing to post some dailies?  I haven't seen any for a few days and wonder how the cruise has been going.  With all the fires in Athens, Rhodes, etc, would be curious what impact this is having.  The fires look just horrible.

We are scheduled for our August 13 cruise, assuming nothing changes.

(I look on Roll Calls, but those are pretty quiet.)

Thanks

The fires haven't impacted the cruise last week, other than a bit of smoke in the air causing a bit of a smog, if you look back on this on this topic I have tried to post the daily from each port ,today is our sea day heading back to Malta 🙃 

Anyone boarding th Sea on the 10th will have the boat to themselves around 200 guests only and you can " do your own thing" in the Croatian ports, I'm tempted to stay on for the next one too 😄

Hi, I am a little confused about one aspect of preparing the (UK) paperwork for the cruise Malta and the Adriatic Jewels, , specifically the Malta PLF (the digital version I guess) and it's requirement to be linked to the "Verifly Malta Arrival" trip or not. I was merrily printing off the Malta PLF and writing in the details when I came across a post on the roll calls which indicated the digital completion of PLF was the procedure to follow. I tried to investigate and I can not see any email or update from Viking to me which indicates this is required, I have a suspicion that the US customers may have this requirement, but I can't find anything from a Viking UK viewpoint that this is a process we need to follow.  I have downloaded the Verifly app and I am "ready to travel" for "A trip with Viking" but I have not done anything regarding the "Malta Arrival" element of verifly.

Any updates on the correct UK procedures are appreciated.

We are looking forward to the 23rd AUGUST cruise, does anyone know how many passengers there is likely to be on the ship? I appreciate that bookings are still coming in, but it would be interesting to know current booking levels.

Jim and Hilary

Edited by geordie_jim
wrong date - sorry
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, geordie_jim said:

Hi, I am a little confused about one aspect of preparing the (UK) paperwork for the cruise Malta and the Adriatic Jewels, , specifically the Malta PLF (the digital version I guess) and it's requirement to be linked to the "Verifly Malta Arrival" trip or not. I was merrily printing off the Malta PLF and writing in the details when I came across a post on the roll calls which indicated the digital completion of PLF was the procedure to follow. I tried to investigate and I can not see any email or update from Viking to me which indicates this is required, I have a suspicion that the US customers may have this requirement, but I can't find anything from a Viking UK viewpoint that this is a process we need to follow.  I have downloaded the Verifly app and I am "ready to travel" for "A trip with Viking" but I have not done anything regarding the "Malta Arrival" element of verifly.

We are looking forward to the 23rd AUGUST cruise, does anyone know how many passengers there is likely to be on the ship? I appreciate that bookings are still coming in, but it would be interesting to know current booking levels.

Jim and Hilary

Hi Jim and Hilary,

My wife and I are also on the 23rd August cruise. I filled in the Malta Arrivals on Verifly. Not sure it is needed but no harm having it done anyway. You need the dPLF printed so you can scan the QR code onto Verifly. I hope this makes sense.

Brian

Edited by barney61
wrong spelling

We're from the UK and this was our experience of using the PLF and arriving at Malta International on July 24th 2021

We completed both an online copy of the Malta PLF as well as a written paper version (as a back up). Airport staff were checking documents, and for those who didn't have a 2nd copy of their PLF, they were asked if they had taken a copy. As we had 2 copies, a printed version of the online PLF, as well a written back up copy, we were fine. My take on this was that they just wanted you to have a copy of your PLF, as one would be held by the airport. When we got to medical screening, the official took the written copy and left us with the printed version of the online PLF.

At the time we only used Verifly to download our vaccination certificates. I don't recall us having to download a copy of our PLF. This may have changed since, but at the time Verifly was only being used by Viking to confirm vaccination documents. As I say, this may have changed since and I'm unsure whether our American friends are required to submit more documents than UK travellers.  Malta are in the process of phasing out the paper copy of the PLF and will insist upon the online version at some stage. As long as you have 2 copies of your PLF you should be fine. 

I've just checked Verifly for our trip in September and it only requires Booking Number, Embarkation Date, ID information and Covid-19 vaccination details. I can see nothing asking you to download your PLF.

Edited by FirstTimeFreddy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, geordie_jim said:

Jim and Hilary

Actually, it looks to me like more people are canceling vs. new bookings. I am on the 8/30 cruise, and I see on the website that some cabin categories that were sold out now have some availability. So far, all the Malta/Adriatic cruises have been under 200 passengers. I don’t think that any of them will be over 400 passengers.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:57 PM, travelguy19 said:

UH OH… reported on FB:

Four people have been taken off Viking Venus in Malta due to positive testing. Two because someone has tested positive at least twice and has cold symptoms and the two people they were traveling with. Being quarantined in a Malta hotel for 14 days and not getting much help in the situation.

Ohhhh Noooo!😥

Does anyone know...Who pays for the 14 day hotel bill? How do they get food and water if they're quarantined? Are they stuck in their hotel room 24/7? How often do they get retested while in quarantine? Who pays for the testing? If they have no symptoms and test negative before the 14 days, can they leave and fly home? Will Viking give them a credit for a future cruise? Will they be reimbursed by their travel insurance company?

OMG so many questions, beginning to feel a little uneasy about this trip and it's now too late to cancel as I'm within the 14 day mark. ☹️

7 hours ago, barney61 said:

Hi Jim and Hilary,

My wife and I are also on the 23rd August cruise. I filled in the Malta Arrivals on Verifly. Not sure it is needed but no harm having it done anyway. You need the dPLF printed so you can scan the QR code onto Verifly. I hope this makes sense.

Brian

Don't you have to wait until 10 days prior before filling out the dPLF?? Confused on this.

We are on the 23rd cruise as well...I filled our dPLF's  out today, no problems.....Verifly has us good to go with both Viking and Malta.

Also, made 3 copies of everything and will bring original vaccine cards as well.

Still a little hesitant about this trip but we are willing to roll the dice based on past cruises and Viking's protocols.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Ohhhh Noooo!😥

Does anyone know...Who pays for the 14 day hotel bill? How do they get food and water if they're quarantined? Are they stuck in their hotel room 24/7? How often do they get retested while in quarantine? Who pays for the testing? If they have no symptoms and test negative before the 14 days, can they leave and fly home? Will Viking give them a credit for a future cruise? Will they be reimbursed by their travel insurance company?

OMG so many questions, beginning to feel a little uneasy about this trip and it's now too late to cancel as I'm within the 14 day mark. ☹️

Qualified reply, I'm just a passenger like you but here is what I have been told:

* For Malta, you pay for the room. 100 euros per day.  Implied that food/water brought to room and I'm assuming that you have to pay for that too. Don't know about the other countries. 

* Only time frame that seemed certain was the 14 day quarantine

* Viking told me 'If a guest tests positive within the 14 days prior we will offer you a full refund or a future cruise voucher for all of the funds that per(sic:pre) paid to the booking.'

* Insurance: depends on your individual policy. We did not use Viking's insurance. Ours, in theory, covers Covid but be prepared for denial of coverage for some obscure reason.  

* Insurance part 2: Every policy that I have looked at WILL NOT cover your trip if you choose not to go because of your concerns about the safety of trip unless you have 'Cancel for any reason'.

I know these answers leave a lot of murky areas and I have the same questions. I'd assume that at any time, from arrival to departure, you could be quarantined for 14 days in a hotel NOT of your choosing. I suppose it is possible that you could also be held at any transit location during your passage to and from Malta. You need both the cushion of time and money.  We are going but we also realize that just incidental contact with someone that tests positive could drastically alter our trip.  Hopefully someone can give you a more complete answer.  Try "Chat" with Viking or calling them even if you have a TA. 

After all of that negativity we are still going.  The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk. Qualifier: my spouse is a doctor and deals with COVID issues daily.

If you get your questions answered would you please share them?  Thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, gma1 said:

Don't you have to wait until 10 days prior before filling out the dPLF?? Confused on this.

I was to originally go on 24th July but because of insurance and proof of vaccination etc. I changed it to 23rd August. I had the dPLF filled in at that stage but you can go in to my PLF's and edit. I just had photos of my Vaccination Cards uplosded but last week I got my official Certificate of Vaccination and I was able to upload this.

Edited by barney61

7 minutes ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

Qualified reply, I'm just a passenger like you but here is what I have been told:

* For Malta, you pay for the room. 100 euros per day.  Implied that food/water brought to room and I'm assuming that you have to pay for that too. Don't know about the other countries. 

* Viking told me 'If a guest tests positive within the 14 days prior we will offer you a full refund or a future cruise voucher for all of the funds that per(sic:pre) paid to the booking.'

* Insurance: depends on your individual policy. We did not use Viking's insurance. Ours, in theory, covers Covid but be prepared for denial of coverage for some obscure reason.  

* Insurance part 2: Every policy that I have looked at WILL NOT cover your trip if you choose not to go because of your concerns about the safety of trip unless you have 'Cancel for any reason'.

I know these answers leave a lot of murky areas and I have the same questions. I'd assume that at any time, from arrival to departure, you could be quarantined for 14 days in a hotel NOT of your choosing. I suppose it is possible that you could also be held at any transit location during your passage to and from Malta. You need both the cushion of time and money.  We are going but we also realize that just incidental contact with someone that tests positive could drastically alter our trip.  Hopefully someone can give you a more complete answer.  Try "Chat" with Viking or calling them even if you have a TA. 

After all of that negativity we are still going.  The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk. Qualifier: my spouse is a doctor and deals with COVID issues daily.

Very good explanation. It is not without risk but neither is life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

Thanks so much for all your information. Yes, I will absolutely pass on any news I receive regarding this topic.😃

16 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

Thanks so much for all your information. Yes, I will absolutely pass on any news I receive regarding this topic.😃

From Facebook so you judge the accuracy. Hearsay:  the woman who tested positive and put into quarantine in Malta states that she has Viking insurance and it would cover their quarantine expenses AND Viking would refund/credit their Viking trip and arrange her return after the quarantine.    

So the financial part looks okay.  

• Thanks 1

Under FAQs on the Viking website is the following. Seems it would depend on how "helps protect" and "could include" are interpreted....

Does Viking’s Travel Protection Plan cover COVID-19 costs (e.g., medical treatment, quarantine, repatriation, etc.)?

Yes, our Travel Protection Plan helps protect you from many unforeseen circumstances that may arise before or during your trip, which could include necessary medical, quarantine or repatriation expenses related to COVID-19.

Edited by Eround
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiki-Is-Texas said:

I emailed TellUs a couple of weeks ago. First call back person was hopeless (which I won’t go into), so I emailed my original questions again and got a call back from a senior customer relations person. I asked about what arrangements Viking has with Malta, Montenegro & Croatia primarily for someone contact traced to a Covid positive person. I explained that we had been following on CC all the Iceland Covid positive cases and were concerned about contact traced people getting caught up in quarantine unnecessarily. He confirmed that Viking’s policy is not to quarantine a contact traced person but that in practice in Iceland they tested the contact traced after “exposure” and had them quarantine in their cabin until results came back. (This—after the contact traced had already tested negative the day the Covid case tested positive.) I am uncertain how much of the quarantine was Viking’s decision or Iceland’s. He also did not know about the rumor on these boards that 71 people in Iceland from a couple of buses were quarantined after two tested positive and then missed their flights home. All FB rumors not substantiated.

As far as the three countries on Malta/Adriatic, the Viking rep said he did not know what the protocols would be for quarantine of contact traced people because it will depend on conditions at the time of the cruise. He either did not know Viking’s arrangements with these countries or could not say. We both commented that Malta can be erratic and confused about their own requirements. There was a news conference on Aug. 6th where the Maltese health ministry said vaccinated contact traced individuals would only need to be quarantined for 7 days instead of 14.

My husband and I have been evaluating all this constantly. Two days ago we were leaning toward doing something else; today we are back to leaning toward doing it!

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, CLBSC said:

(I can’t figure out how to erase the above quote)

we are 3 days out from departure for our trip.  We feel it is a gamble but the odds are in our favor that all will go well.  Sounds like Malta has most restrictive quarantine requirements.  It is strange though to think that anyone within 50 feet of someone testing positive would also have to quarantine for a full 14 days regardless of testing negative.  

• Like 1

No doubt making a final decision with changing information is difficult. We are two weeks out today so looks like a go for us....

I am still wondering if this Malta Mom and Daughter flew directly from the USA to Malta and had a 72 hour test before traveling....

Also wondering why our 8/23 MaltaCruise is the only August Viking cruise with free airfare..do you think they need more passengers? 

I liked the previous statement of " The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk."

15 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

No doubt making a final decision with changing information is difficult. We are two weeks out today so looks like a go for us....

I am still wondering if this Malta Mom and Daughter flew directly from the USA to Malta and had a 72 hour test before traveling....

Also wondering why our 8/23 MaltaCruise is the only August Viking cruise with free airfare..do you think they need more passengers? 

I liked the previous statement of " The odds are still in our favor and we are willing to take the risk."

We have free air with our Oct sailing from Malta.

I am hoping you call tell me what some of the optional excursions cost for the day in Malta ? The tour to old capital ?

thank you 

5 minutes ago, Azulann said:

We have free air with our Oct sailing from Malta.

I am hoping you call tell me what some of the optional excursions cost for the day in Malta ? The tour to old capital ?

thank you 

Malta’s Capitals, Old & New

$109 Per Person

Day 2  Valletta, Malta
Tuesday, August 31
8:15 AM / 2:30 PM
4 Hours

MODERATE

UNESCO

SIGHTSEEING

Compare Malta’s two most influential cities, Mdina and Valletta. You will drive with your guide to the former capital, Mdina, one of the world’s best examples of a medieval walled city. Locals call it the “Silent City,” as cars are not allowed in its streets. During a walking tour with your guide, admire the views of the countryside from centuries-old bastions and soak up the atmosphere. Continue to the present-day capital, Valletta, founded in the 16th century. Walk these bustling cobblestone streets past St. John’s Co-Cathedral and the Magisterial Palace of the Grandmaster. Pass the Auberge de Castile, the Prime Minister’s residence, to Barrakka Gardens, where splendid views of the Three Cities and Fort Ricasoli await.

Modifications based on current health and safety protocols may be applied to this shore excursion.

• Thanks 1