Health restrictions

darstamp

I was told today by someone who works for the Carnival lines that they will no longer allow anyone who requires supplemental Oxygen or has pre-existing respiratory conditions to sail.  The only exception is those with C-pap machines.  I am sick about this as I am booked to sail with Holland America next April.  I have cruised with Oxygen before,  many people do.  It doesn't make sense given that I will be fully vaccinated by then and no more at risk than anyone else.  Has anyone heard this?  

• Like 1

Cunard made this change a few days ago.

It was a notice sent to anyone who has a current booking.

It included that restriction, along with having extra insurance for medical care and transport off the ship.

2 hours ago, darstamp said:

I was told today by someone who works for the Carnival lines that they will no longer allow anyone who requires supplemental Oxygen or has pre-existing respiratory conditions to sail.  The only exception is those with C-pap machines.  I am sick about this as I am booked to sail with Holland America next April.  I have cruised with Oxygen before,  many people do.  It doesn't make sense given that I will be fully vaccinated by then and no more at risk than anyone else.  Has anyone heard this?  

Sorry about that, if it is the case.  I am sure this is very disappointing.  Did the Carnival person say if it is just temporary?

17 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Sorry about that, if it is the case.  I am sure this is very disappointing.  Did the Carnival person say if it is just temporary?

Assuming temporary due to covid risk and the age of typical Cunard passengers. If you look up the Cunard policy, it explains that they will be maxing out their medical center with oxygen for emergencies and don’t have the space to carry extra for passenger support. Same with any kind of mechanical ventilation or concentrator other than CPAP users.  Cunard stated they are reserving ventilation support and oxygen on board for true medical emergencies...basically saying they don’t want to support those with existing issues if their own supplies fail. 

• Like 3

Thanks for all your responses.  The person who told me this didn't have any details but you have made some good points.  If Cunard is doing this, maybe Carnival will follow.  I certainly hope not.  I would have backup anyway as I intend to rent a full size concentrator to have in my room at night.  I had thought about renting a backup for my portable as well -would make sense.  Please share if you hear anything more about this.  

I contacted the Holland America Health Desk because I had previously filled out their form notifying them about my oxygen requirements.  I asked them to confirm that I would be allowed to board as I need to book flights and hotel.  This was there response:  

"We have received your on line SRI form and processed it. You're all set as far as any paperwork for our department."

so no answer to my inquiry.  

3 hours ago, darstamp said:

I contacted the Holland America Health Desk because I had previously filled out their form notifying them about my oxygen requirements.  I asked them to confirm that I would be allowed to board as I need to book flights and hotel.  This was there response:  

"We have received your on line SRI form and processed it. You're all set as far as any paperwork for our department."

so no answer to my inquiry.  

isnt "Your all set" an answer? definitely not a no.

• Like 1