Carnival’s “convertible bunk” beds vs ”upper pullman” beds?

alikaalex

Looking into booking a short “back-to-cruising” cruise with Carnival for the first time in quite a few years. We will be travelling with a 12-year-old and were looking at an Oceanview or Balcony. We’d like to keep the sofa bed in its “sofa” setup for our trip, so I was poring over the deck plans to see what our options are.

I noticed that some rooms indicate they have a “single sofa bed with convertible bunk,” while others list “one upper pullman and single sofa bed.” Can anyone explain the difference between Carnival’s “convertible bunks” and their “upper pullmans”? My Google image search yielded similar results for both search strings. 🤔

You dont say what ship. Fantasy class I hated the upper bunk, as the frame comes down around the lower bed and definitely is in my way. .. once had a gty and they put me in a quad. 

I'm not sure about the convertible bunk. Never heard of one and I've done a lot of carnival. I've had a convertible sofa, where the back comes off.

On newer ships after conquest the upper bunks go up into the ceiling, not from the wall above the regular bed. The ones that go up into the ceiling the frame doesnt come down around the lower bed.

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You dont say what ship.

Yes, apologies. I’ve been looking at the Carnival Radiance. For an example of this “convertible bunk” phrasing =, take a look at the deck plans’ description of Cabin 2347. In contrast, Cabin 5301 would be an example where Carnival describes an “upper pullman”. I’m puzzled as to the difference between these two bed styles.

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

On newer ships after conquest the upper bunks go up into the ceiling, not from the wall above the regular bed. The ones that go up into the ceiling the frame doesnt come down around the lower bed.

I'm almost positive that they started putting them from the ceiling on the Destiny Class.  Our first cruise was on the Destiny and it was in the ceiling.  It took us a while to figure out what it was.  Then we walked past another cabin that had the door open and their's was in the down position.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I'm almost positive that they started putting them from the ceiling on the Destiny Class.  Our first cruise was on the Destiny and it was in the ceiling.  It took us a while to figure out what it was.  Then we walked past another cabin that had the door open and their's was in the down position.

Could very well be. I did the triumph many times but not in a bunk room. I am sure about conquest, I see how it could be read conquest was the first, ..I meant just in general with the newer ships. I had the mid deck 1As on conquest that had the upper in the ceiling is why I'm sure about that ship. 

One reason I'm glad fantasy class ships are gone lol. 

Still not familiar with the term convertible bunk. The OP doesnt say where he saw the term or a screen grab. He says deck plans ... on carnival site? Where is he looking idk. I look at deck plans on multiple sites so dont know.

Edited by firefly333

On 5/30/2021 at 6:45 PM, alikaalex said:

Yes, apologies. I’ve been looking at the Carnival Radiance. For an example of this “convertible bunk” phrasing =, take a look at the deck plans’ description of Cabin 2347. In contrast, Cabin 5301 would be an example where Carnival describes an “upper pullman”. I’m puzzled as to the difference between these two bed styles.

The "convertible bunk" is basically a sofa bed converted to a bed. The "upper pullman" will pull down from the wall or ceiling. ....Since you say you want to keep the sofa in its "sofa" setup, you probably want the "upper pullman."

Be heed the advice about watching your head.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So this is not accurate information provided. 

There is some difference in an upper Pullman and a convertible bunk. 

The ship symbols are square ■ for 2 twin beds convert to king plus soda bed and upper Pullman. 

The symbol is equal sign =  for 2 twin beds convert to king plus soda bed and convertible bunk.

I am still trying to find answer to this,  picture of each type of room.  Please help. 

60558.jpeg

On 9/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, TacAlert said:

I had a similar question.  Room 7273 on the Miracle.  Says 3 people with a pullman bed.  Is there still a sofa in the room?  And is the pullman over the sofa?

I believe so...we have friends who are booked for the Mircale with us in a few weeks and they have a balcony room for 4 and was advised that one child will sleep on the converted sofa and the other will have the drop down bed....so you should still have a sofa and I believe the pull down will be over the sofa.

Edited by famof4togo

• 3 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 5:13 AM, RWolver672 said:

Can you tell me if the pullman in the ceiling (that wasn't in use) made any noise?  As in -- did it creak and rattle during the night?  I'm a light sleeper, but looking to book a cabin and the only ones left on the deck I want have pullmans.   Thanks!   

On 2/24/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jenrey said:

So this is not accurate information provided. 

There is some difference in an upper Pullman and a convertible bunk. 

The ship symbols are square ■ for 2 twin beds convert to king plus soda bed and upper Pullman. 

The symbol is equal sign =  for 2 twin beds convert to king plus soda bed and convertible bunk.

I am still trying to find answer to this,  picture of each type of room.  Please help. 

60558.jpeg

Very subtle distinction here .... Single sofa bed AND 1 upper pullman versus single sofa bed WITH convertible bunk.  I think that if you search you will find that the second type are all triple occupancy, which would indicate that it is a soft that converts to a bunk.

2 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Can you tell me if the pullman in the ceiling (that wasn't in use) made any noise?  As in -- did it creak and rattle during the night?  I'm a light sleeper, but looking to book a cabin and the only ones left on the deck I want have pullmans.   Thanks!   

I've never heard a single sound from the stowed upper pullmans, no matter how rocky the seas.

• Thanks 1

I've cruised numerous times on Carnival in cabins for 4 people.  With the exception of one cruise, the upper pullman was left in the down position for the duration of the cruise.  It may not make your couch as useable as you'd like as you'll have a bed above your head. 

You may be able to ask the cabin steward to put it up each day, not sure how accommodating he/she would be to that.  

here is the difference between a pullman and convertible bunk.  there was a similar thread on the Cruise Critic UK site.

Radiance Room 5301 with upper pullman (bed comes down from wall or ceiling) with "standard" carnival couch with no arms.

pullman.jpg.0a9da239c957078fb2ffba217fe80f9a.jpg

Radiance Room 2344 with "convertible bunk"  bunk lifts out of the couch.  notice couch has arms. 

376664009_bunkdown.jpg.3847de5ddbee648567f1506b158073a8.jpg

Unfortunatly there are no photos with the bunk up, for Carnival, but here is the equivalent couch from MSC with the bunk up.  Pretty sure it is the same couch, just Carnival's is covered in vinyl and MSC in cloth.

2110395127_bunkup.thumb.jpg.3352df9ff88d9042d3428a64765590ad.jpg

Edited by bstel
  • Like 1