Are the July Alaska sailings now booking to 100% capacity??

kath00

We were told just last week that New Amsterdam will only fill to 50% when we booked and paid. Now someone else who is going with us and is about to book was told no, the ship will sell out to 100% capacity. That’s a big difference!  Thanks for any and all info. 

58 minutes ago, kath00 said:

We were told just last week that New Amsterdam will only fill to 50% when we booked and paid. Now someone else who is going with us and is about to book was told no, the ship will sell out to 100% capacity. That’s a big difference!  Thanks for any and all info. 

Who is this person you are getting information from? I can tell you that it definitely is not 100%. Please try to find a way to listen to the facebook interview with Gus Antorcha the President of Holland America. That or just cancel if you are that concerned. Right now you are obviously terrified of it being at 100% and that is no way to look forward to a cruise, especially one such as this that is going to be very very different and one has to except that fact.

• Like 1

The referenced video states that the FIRST sailing to Alaska will be booked to 50% and that subsequent sailings will go up from there. It was stated that they don't expect to get to 100%

14 minutes ago, kath00 said:

Sorry I should have been clear.  My TA called HAL today and they told her.

Unfortunately Reps currently working at HAL are not always those in the know, this goes with all the cruise lines. They have a script they are told to stay with and not to deviate. While the phone Reps at HAL have improved ever so slightly in recent weeks since they did bring back more of the furloughed employees, they still have reps that are resourced out from a temp agency that they can answer simple questions and are told to do that but when then is something that needs to be done and a bit more complicated they need to be transferred to someone that actually works for Holland America. So your agent called on a Saturday/weekend when most of the temp agents are working....?  I tend to believe what was stated just over a week ago from the Holland America President Gus Antorcha. Also in looking at how the cabins have sold and the availability it also stands to reason that his information lines up with what I have seen for sales and availability. That first sailing will definitely not be sailing at 100% occupancy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kath00 said:

Sorry I should have been clear.  My TA called HAL today and they told her.

I suspect this means that they have sold all of the cabins they are going to sell for this sailing. 100 % of the 50%.

• Like 3

On 6/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, kath00 said:

To which cruise date are you referring? Holland America President Gus Antorcha said that the first sailing on July 24th will be capped at 50% capacity. Capacity for this ship is between 2106 and 2527. At 50%, you are looking at 1053 to 1263. Nobody knows (other than HAL) what number they are aiming for, but the figures above leave about 200 passengers of wiggle room. On our sailing (July 24th) they blocked off every room with the exception of the suites for about a week. One of the couples joining us on this cruise said they booked the last suite, which would leave you thinking that they had sold all the cabins. Magically, the next day 95 balcony cabins became available. Obviously HAL is trying to maximize income by selling the most expensive rooms first. On the other hand, the fact that 95 balcony cabins are available doesn't mean that they need to fill all these cabins, just to reach 50%. It just means that there are 95 cabins to choose from. They could sell five cabins and then have to stop because they are at capacity. 

If you are on the 24th cruise, please join our roll call.