Ruby vs Island for Panama canal?

SactoSteve

We're trying to decide between Ruby and Island for an ocean-to-ocean Panama canal cruise.  Sailing via the old locks has an appeal but I also read the occasional negative comments regarding crowding on the Island. Any thoughts on the overall feel of one ship vs the other?

We're likely to book a mini suite and I understand that the balconies on the Island are covered but those on the Ruby are not.  With the heat in Panama, the Island seems to have the edge there.  But then the Ruby ends in San Francisco (which we love) while island ends in LA (meh).

What am I missing that would push the decision one way  or the other?  TIA for any comments, suggestions or opinions.

I like both ships, but I prefer the Ruby. It has SHARE and the International Cafe. We did Panama Canal on the Island and enjoyed it. We loved the covered pool. We spent a lot of spare time there. 
we had a balcony but spent it outside through the canal. It was hot and tiresome to stand. In fact a woman fainted out there! 

Not sure what all the fuss is about new vs old locks. We’ve only done it once, on Island, old locks, but if we had a choice between the two ships we would have picked the Ruby. 

Personally, If the itinerary was the same,  would chose the Ruby over the Island, but can't really tell you why, other than I have sailed more on Ruby,   Part of it had to do with staffing.  But post Covid, everything will be a new experience,   Ending in SF has a great appeal, especially if you live in No. Calif.

• Like 1

We did this on the Island and had a great trip - but we had one of the new Vista suites Lido aft.  We didn't encounter "crowding" any more so than on any other cruise - YMMV.  On Ruby there are covered balcony Mini's on Emerald deck aft they are highly desired. 

image.png.6e4590845179708fa0d00104f301eaa5.png

+1 for Ruby for ship, +1 for Island for Old locks

• Like 1

Ruby. It's a nicer ship, more lounges, Club Fusion, International Cafe, more public space, 3 MDR's, 5 pools, more viewing areas. Island was once a nice ship until Princess chopped up the aft section removing the Universe Lounge and other passenger space to add cabins for 200+ additional passengers. Some would say that it's best to go through the old locks. Having been through both I would say it's not worth it to give up everything that the Ruby has for one day which may be slightly better as you transit the canal. The Ruby also stops at Fuerte Amador (Panama City) for a full day which you don't get with the Island.

Shade? This depends on the direction of the ship and the time of year/position of the sun. Covered balcony does not ensure shade. Mini suites on deck 8 have covered balconies.

Bring a rain jacket or compact umbrella. It can rain at any time. The Panama Canal is in a rain forest.  

11 hours ago, SactoSteve said:

We're likely to book a mini suite and I understand that the balconies on the Island are covered but those on the Ruby are not.  With the heat in Panama, the Island seems to have the edge there. 

For going through the Canal, do not worry about the shade or lack of it on your balcony.

To really get the Panama Canal experience you should not stay on your balcony the entire time. You need to get out on deck and move around so you can look forward and back and on both sides.

From your balcony side view you will not see any locks opening and closing or the ships in other locks getting higher or lower.

• Like 2

If you are ay all interested in the history of the Panama Canal, you have no choice. You have to take the the Island or Coral in that they are the only two Princess ships  that fit in the old locks.  If you have been through the old locks then you can decide between the Ruby and the Island. If you have never sailed through the canal,. as a history teacher,  I would recommend the old locks. full transit. If you read the book Path Between the Seas you will understand why going through the old locks is a must. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, jennybenny said:

I like both ships, but I prefer the Ruby. It has SHARE and the International Cafe. We did Panama Canal on the Island and enjoyed it. We loved the covered pool. We spent a lot of spare time there. 
we had a balcony but spent it outside through the canal. It was hot and tiresome to stand. In fact a woman fainted out there! 

Not sure what all the fuss is about new vs old locks. We’ve only done it once, on Island, old locks, but if we had a choice between the two ships we would have picked the Ruby. 

The reason we are going through the new locks in 2023 is that we have done the old locks 4 times and want to see the difference.  Last time we went through the old locks we could see them working on the new locks

1 minute ago, memoak said:

The reason we are going through the new locks in 2023 is that we have done the old locks 4 times and want to see the difference.  Last time we went through the old locks we could see them working on the new locks

I wasn’t questioning the reasoning for wanting old vs new locks. I just don’t understand why there is such a strong opinion about one vs the other, so I meant I didn’t have anything to share on that aspect. Maybe it’s because the old locks get so close to the walls, or history? 
I suppose if I had only done the old locks I may be curious so see what was different about the new locks. For the most part, if we were given the same itinerary we would make our choice on ship, and I would chose the Ruby vs the Island in this scenario. We only did the Island because it was the only option for the dates we were going. We thoroughly enjoyed the Island too. So many people don’t like it. We did miss the IC, but it was still a wonderful cruise.

PS Doesn’t the Island always goes through the old locks? I thought the Coral and Island were the only ones that could go though old locks now due to size, but I’m no expert. 

9 hours ago, jennybenny said:

PS Doesn’t the Island always goes through the old locks? I thought the Coral and Island were the only ones that could go though old locks now due to size, but I’m no expert. 

You are correct.  Plus the old locks are less expensive to transit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dfields1814 said:

If you are ay all interested in the history of the Panama Canal, you have no choice. You have to take the the Island or Coral in that they are the only two Princess ships  that fit in the old locks.  If you have been through the old locks then you can decide between the Ruby and the Island. If you have never sailed through the canal,. as a history teacher,  I would recommend the old locks. full transit. If you read the book Path Between the Seas you will understand why going through the old locks is a must. 

I completely agree with this recommendation. The old locks are much more interesting historically. Also it's nice to be in a ship that just fits. The Island and Coral were designed as Panamax ships, so that they were as big as they could be and still fit.

I've been through the new locks and enjoyed it too. But that was my second cruise through the canal - not my first one. The engineering of the new locks is interesting - but they have nothing like the history of the old ones.

I also highly recommend reading The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough before your transit. It is the definitive work on the history of building the canal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Island and Doral are sister panamax ships. Was on the Coral just before the shut down.

We overnighted in Gatun Lake.

My first trans canal was on the original Island from San Juan to Los Angeles in the late 70's.

My second trans canal was on the original Royal from San Juan to Acapulco.

Just trivia.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:12 PM, caribill said:

If you have never done the Panama Canal, then, in my opinion, the original locks are the way to go.

For this cruise the destination is not the ship, it is the Canal.

Good point. The days of Princess ships that will fit in the old locks are numbered. Do the old locks while you can only so you can say you did.

Next time you may not have the choice.  Then you can do the new locks.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Good point. The days of Princess ships that will fit in the old locks are numbered. Do the old locks while you can only so you can say you did.

Next time you may not have the choice.  Then you can do the new locks.

Totally agree!

• Like 2