Southampton hotels

11 minutes ago, Harry pigeon said:

Hi 

Any recommendations for hotels around Southampton cruise terminal or about an hours drive away. 

Thank you

@Harry pigeon

Howdy! emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards! emo34.gif I see it has been awhile since you have posted on the boards.

Thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum for technical assistance in using these message boards👍 To help you out I have moved your thread to our British Isles/Western Europe forum. Browse through the thread titles here on this forum and l👀k for titles of interest. You will probably find  your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that will be of interest to you.

suggest you Follow this thread so you will be notified of new posts. For more info please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

Glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat  emo32.gif

17 minutes ago, Harry pigeon said:

Hi 

Any recommendations for hotels around Southampton cruise terminal or about an hours drive away. 

Thank you

Hilton Ageas….. Book the Executive Room (Complimentary Evening Buffet with free Beer/Wine/Spirts - 24/7 Coffee, soft drinks and water)…. Secure Parking….Keep your keys….Private Taxi to/from terminal (about 20 minutes)

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hilton-at-the-ageas-bowl-southampton-SOUAGHI/about/park-and-stay.html

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Add
  • Like 1

Here's a precis of the hotels in Southampton city centre. At the foot of that page is a thumbnail map showing the locations of those hotels & the city's four cruise terminals (in fact there's now a fifth, between City and Mayflower Cruise Terminals). 

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

None of those hotels is more than a £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal, some are walkable to City and Ocean Cruise Terminals. 

Most popular with cruisers, particularly those sailing from City Cruise Terminal, are Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Avenue) which overlooks the terminal & ship, and Premier Inn (West Quay) which is in the UK's best-known hotel chain. Both are only a 5 to 10 minute walk from the city centre shops (yellow C to D on the map and the city's admittedly-limited "old town" (yellow G) - Southampton was heavily bombed during the WW2 Blitz, so "old town" is a mix of old & new. Plenty of dining venues, from a modern entertainment complex with a dozen & more chain restaurants adjacent to the West Quay Mall to historic pubs in the old-town & waterfront.

Port Royal has mentioned the Aegeus Hilton. Be aware that this is on the city boundary, 6 miles from the cruise terminals and there are no facilities (shops, pubs, restaurants, etc) in walking distance. It has all the Hilton trappings, but I rate it "cold" and remote. Haven't stayed there but have attended several functions, found it pretty bland and the bar prices are heavy (I note Port Royal's comment about free drinks for executive guests).

The other Southampton Hilton - the Doubletree at Chilworth - is set in woodland & rather more attractive, but again it's on the city boundary and again there are no shops, pubs, restaurants, etc within walking distance.

Both are fine if you have a car, but without a car I'd not recommend either

BTW, same applies to the city's two Holiday Inn Express's. 

JB 🙂

31 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If seeking a central Southampton chic boutique hotel, then would recommend considering Ennios and Pig In The Wall.

Comment 

The Doubletree is old, tired, rundown, past it’s best, no decent views from rooms and depressing.  Pass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Comment 

The Doubletree is old, tired, rundown, past it’s best, no decent views from rooms and depressing.  Pass.

Only ever been there to collect people, never been inside. But add your comments about the standards to mine about the location, and it's a no-no.

Ennio's is rooms above an Italian restaurant, in a converted 19th Century warehouse. We've eaten there and it's very good, don't know the rooms.

Pig-in-the-Wall is quirky, set in the city wall. Gets excellent reviews.

Both are located very conveniently for Ocean and City and Horizon Cruise Terminals, city centre shops, the city's few old-town sights, and plenty of restaurants & pubs.

JB 🙂

8 hours ago, crawford said:

Anyone have feedback on the Moxy? Thanks!

I'm a local, but haven't stayed there.

It opened a couple of months before the pandemic started.

Rather bland exterior, quite quirky interior & rooms..

Appeals to the younger set.

Excellent location - next door to Premier Inn West Quay, across the road from the West Quay restaurant complex, one minute from West Quay Shopping Mall, two minutes from main shopping street (Above Bar) five minutes from the walled old part of town (Below Bar) and waterfront pubs & restaurants.

(Above / Below Bar refers to north or south of the ancient city entrance, the Bar Gate).

Less than ten minutes walk from City Cruise Terminal (NCL, Celebrity, RCI, MSC etc), less than 20 minutes walk from Ocean Cruise Terminal (Carnival brands), short taxi hop to other cruise terminals.

I'm a traditional old stick-in-the mud, Moxy's not my style of hotel. But it gets pretty good reviews.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/moxy-southampton.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRmNjAtMjk4ZC00ZWFiLWIyOGUtMzhiMjAwNzRmZDRk2AIG4AIB;sid=ccd9dfc17e9464d7525052c259c577c3;dest_id=-2608164;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1624524858;srpvid=2a1b3e9ca2ab0068;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main (click on guest reviews, top right)

JB 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

I'm a local, but haven't stayed there.

It opened a couple of months before the pandemic started.

Rather bland exterior, quite quirky interior & rooms..

Appeals to the younger set.

Excellent location - next door to Premier Inn West Quay, across the road from the West Quay restaurant complex, one minute from West Quay Shopping Mall, two minutes from main shopping street (Above Bar) five minutes from the walled old part of town (Below Bar) and waterfront pubs & restaurants.

(Above / Below Bar refers to north or south of the ancient city entrance, the Bar Gate).

Less than ten minutes walk from City Cruise Terminal (NCL, Celebrity, RCI, MSC etc), less than 20 minutes walk from Ocean Cruise Terminal (Carnival brands), short taxi hop to other cruise terminals.

I'm a traditional old stick-in-the mud, Moxy's not my style of hotel. But it gets pretty good reviews.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/moxy-southampton.en-gb.html?label=gen173nr-1FCAEoggI46AdIM1gEaFCIAQGYAQm4ARfIAQzYAQHoAQH4AQuIAgGoAgO4AoCKq4EGwAIB0gIkZTYzODRmNjAtMjk4ZC00ZWFiLWIyOGUtMzhiMjAwNzRmZDRk2AIG4AIB;sid=ccd9dfc17e9464d7525052c259c577c3;dest_id=-2608164;dest_type=city;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1624524858;srpvid=2a1b3e9ca2ab0068;type=total;ucfs=1&#tab-main (click on guest reviews, top right)

JB 🙂

Thank you for your thorough input!

6 hours ago, srpilo said:

How about Jury's Inn ?

Poor location.

On the edge of the city centre, the opposite edge to the cruise terminals. That said, the city centre is quite compact and it's only a fifteen-minute walk to city centre shops & the Bargate  (originally the entrance to the walled city). A taxi to a cruise terminal would cost about £8 to £10

Being on the edge of the city centre, all facilities (decent pubs, restaurants, shops. etc) are in one direction.

Big hotel with no parking lot - definitely not a place to stay if you have a car.

More-importantly, it occupies the centre of a 5-way roundabout (traffic island?). Pedestrians can use the traffic lights to cross - so most hotel guests survive the walk to the other side 😉.

IMHO, pretty-well Southampton's worst-located city centre hotel. ☹️

https://goo.gl/maps/fgoFjdXaF5YaTt4H9

I've been in its public rooms a few times for meetings, but not stayed there. 

So I can really only comment on the location, but reviews seem to be quite reasonable.

JB 🙂

On 6/25/2021 at 3:15 AM, John Bull said:

Poor location.

On the edge of the city centre, the opposite edge to the cruise terminals. That said, the city centre is quite compact and it's only a fifteen-minute walk to city centre shops & the Bargate  (originally the entrance to the walled city). A taxi to a cruise terminal would cost about £8 to £10

Being on the edge of the city centre, all facilities (decent pubs, restaurants, shops. etc) are in one direction.

Big hotel with no parking lot - definitely not a place to stay if you have a car.

More-importantly, it occupies the centre of a 5-way roundabout (traffic island?). Pedestrians can use the traffic lights to cross - so most hotel guests survive the walk to the other side 😉.

IMHO, pretty-well Southampton's worst-located city centre hotel. ☹️

https://goo.gl/maps/fgoFjdXaF5YaTt4H9

I've been in its public rooms a few times for meetings, but not stayed there. 

So I can really only comment on the location, but reviews seem to be quite reasonable.

JB 🙂

Thanks for the update

Last trip, we stayed at the Lainston House Hotel - out in the countryside, about a 30 minute drive north of the port, near Winchester. Comfy beds, etc; nice grounds to wander round before dinner; and a good restaurant. It was an excellent start to the holiday and a place I'd certainly think about staying at next time.

https://www.exclusive.co.uk/lainston-house/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=hotel-lainstonhouse

Edited by Harters

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Last trip, we stayed at the Lainston House Hotel - out in the countryside, about a 30 minute drive north of the port, near Winchester. Comfy beds, etc; nice grounds to wander round before dinner; and a good restaurant. It was an excellent start to the holiday and a place I'd certainly think about staying at next time.

https://www.exclusive.co.uk/lainston-house/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=local&utm_campaign=hotel-lainstonhouse

Next time you drive down and wish for a little luxury, try Lime Wood.

https://www.limewoodhotel.co.uk

Funnily enough, I've been doing some idle Googling on the subject in  the last few days (our next cruise isnt till 6/22) and I was attracted to the Lime Wood, not least for its Angela Hartnett linked restaurant. I'd also made notes of the Pig at Brockenhurst and the Montagu Arms at Beaulieu (both also because of very decent looking restaurants)

5 minutes ago, Harters said:

Funnily enough, I've been doing some idle Googling on the subject in  the last few days (our next cruise isnt till 6/22) and I was attracted to the Lime Wood, not least for its Angela Hartnett linked restaurant. I'd also made notes of the Pig at Brockenhurst and the Montagu Arms at Beaulieu (both also because of very decent looking restaurants)

Before booking, give LW a call as there may be a guest Chef popup during for your night’s stay. Then if popup only a day before, you can book two nights.

11 hours ago, Harters said:

Last trip, we stayed at the Lainston House Hotel - out in the countryside, about a 30 minute drive north of the port, near Winchester.

9 hours ago, Harters said:

I was attracted to the Lime Wood, not least for its Angela Hartnett linked restaurant. I'd also made notes of the Pig at Brockenhurst and the Montagu Arms at Beaulieu (both also because of very decent looking restaurants)

8 hours ago, turnip eater said:

For our next attempt at a cruise 🙄we are using Pebble Beach on the coast over looking the Island (Isle of Wight) .

www.pebblebeach-uk.com .

lovely place.

Lainston House is excellent and peaceful, have attended weddings there. More expensive than most in the area. No local facilities, nearest shops etc are in Winchester, about 3 miles away, but the hotel is pretty self-sufficient. If travelling by bus or train, book to Winchester & take a cab from the rank.

A door-to-door taxi to your ship should cost £25 to£30

Limewood also very peaceful & private, and the New Forest is the other side of the property's gate. Lyndhurst, self-styled "capital of the New Forest", is 1.5 miles away, plenty of shops, restaurants, cafes, ta-rooms & pubs. Hourly train service to Southampton central from  tiny Beaulieu Road station 2.5 miles away,  or a taxi for the 10 miles / 25 minute drive to your ship  should cost around £20 to £25

The Pig at Brockenhurst is the same people who run the well-respected Pig-in-the-Wall in Southampton. Set in the New Forest, about a mile from the village of Brockenhurst with its local shops, pubs, tearoooms & station, and there are several good restaurants & pubs in this part of the Forest. Direct hourly trains to Southampton, or a taxi for the 13 miles should cost £25 to £30 (but get him to go via Beaulieu and Beaulieu Road for a pretty route, worth a few pounds more).

Montagu Arms is in the centre of the small village of Beaulieu. Good river and Forest walks, and the complex of National Motor Museum, Bishop's Palace and remains of Abbey (sacked by Henry V111) are well worth a full day

Most of Beaulieu (incl the pub I think) is still in the hands of the Montagu family, the present Lord Montagu's great (great-great?) grandfather introduced king George V to the pleasures of the motor car. 20 -25 minutes for the 13 minute drive to your ship, about £25

Pebble Beach I don't know, but its in the village of Barton-sea. Super location on the Solent, looking directly at the iconic chalk Needles on the Isle of Wight. Decent village amenities, excellent coastal walks.

But the least-convenient for Southampton.

Taxi 23 miles / 35 mins / £35 to £40 (fastest) or  27 miles / 50 mins / £40 - £50 (prettiest).

Public transport slow and inconvenient, especially with luggage - involves taxi & two trains (change train at Brockenhurst).

I could certainly recommend any of these hotels for folk with a car.

Without a car you'll be relying on taxis to arrive and leave and any little local trips. That depends on your time, your plans for during the stay, the depth of your pockets and your personal preferences over the very adequate hotels in Southampton city centre.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

As we used to live near Barton on Sea, using Pebble Beach enables us to shop in New Milton, close by ( I know what I want😄)and drive to Southampton in the morning, plus meet up with friends. As we will have already driven up from Devon, Barton on Sea is very convenient  for us and anyone coming from South Devon and saves kicking our heels in Southampton  on the morning of sailing.

I admit it’s not convenient for people arriving via plane or train etc.

Edited by turnip eater

Thanks for the comments on my hotel shortlist. Much appreciated.

We're driving down from Cheshire so will have the car available if we do want to get out and about a bit. But, it's a longish drive and we'll be happy to check in to the chosen hotel, have a nice dinner, good sleep, leisurely breakfast and then a short drive next day to the port.

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking for three nights accommodations in a nice hotel, with a large space to relax in our room, in the evenings before our cruise.  We are okay spending a little more on our rooms.  We do want to be near shops and restaurants and will hopefully be doing tours from the hotel two days.  This will be our third cruise out of Southampton.  As my maiden name is Winchester, we want our daughter to visit Winchester, a lovely place, in our opinion.

Thoughts?  

28 minutes ago, mev said:

We are looking for three nights accommodations in a nice hotel, with a large space to relax in our room, in the evenings before our cruise.  We are okay spending a little more on our rooms.  We do want to be near shops and restaurants and will hopefully be doing tours from the hotel two days.  This will be our third cruise out of Southampton.  As my maiden name is Winchester, we want our daughter to visit Winchester, a lovely place, in our opinion.

Thoughts?  

Best largest hotel suites close to shops and restaurants would be Southampton Harbour Hotel.

Forgot to add the Suites have a large balcony with views over the marina

Edited by PORT ROYAL
View

2 hours ago, mev said:

we want our daughter to visit Winchester, a lovely place, in our opinion.

Indeed it is.

On my last trip to the area, I "discovered" the museum of two of our most famous regiments - the Royal Green Jackets and the Rifles. It's very near the cathedral.  As a military history researcher and author, I'm not usually emotional about such places. But they had a major display of the regiment's unsuccessful activities in Afghanistan in the late 19th century - at a time when British troops were back there again, also being unsuccessful. Brought a tear to my eye.

23 hours ago, mev said:

Thoughts?  

I have stayed 2 nights at Mercure in Winchester in 2018.  This hotel is on Winchester Abbey grounds.  I took National Express Coach from LHR to Winchester and walked a short distance from the Coach stop to the Mercure.  Sign up for membership and save 5%.  We took West Quay a car service to Southampton dock.

www.west quay cars.com 

I will be staying 3 nights in May 2022 with different people at the Mercure.