Looking for a Long Beach Hotel

TKING3

We will be cruising out of Long Beach in October. We have never been to CA and are flying in 2 days before. We would love a hotel on the beach that is reasonable or a hotel close to some great LA sightseeing. Any recommendations? Thanks!

1 hour ago, TKING3 said:

We will be cruising out of Long Beach in October. We have never been to CA and are flying in 2 days before. We would love a hotel on the beach that is reasonable or a hotel close to some great LA sightseeing. Any recommendations? Thanks!

"All of the above" would be near impossible...

First off, Long Beach is nowhere near what most people would consider essential "great LA sightseeing".  "Hotel on the beach that is reasonable" only exists if your standards for "reasonable" are based on a reasonable idea as to what "reasonable prices" means here in LA...likely a bit higher than wherever you are from...and BEWARE any really cheap hotels--likely cheap for a reason!!

That said, your first decision will be based on what you want to do with that time in LA.  If you want the standard LA tourist sightseeing--Hollywood (Walk of Fame, Sign, Chinese Theater) plus Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive plus Santa Monica (Pier, Third Street Promenade, Palisades Park, Beach)...maybe Getty Museum, Venice Boardwalk...other sights...Note that they are a long drive from Long Beach...

Best place to stay to see all that AND have a hotel at or near the beach (and it may not be the best beach weather in October) is SANTA MONICA...It is easy to get a tour to all those places...or to take the HOHO bus from Santa Monica.  But better hotels in Santa Monica typically come at a steep price...Look at the Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Shutters at the Beach...or, off the beach at the Fairmont Miramar, Wyndham, Huntley, Georgian, even the Marriott Courtyard or the Hampton Inn...

An alternate near the beach and near Santa Monica is to stay in Marina Del Rey at the various hotels there (Marriott, Jamaica Bay, Hilton Garden Inn, Inn at Venice Beach) or in Venice Beach (like the Erwin)...

Or you could just stay in Long Beach--Try the Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Residence Inn Downtown...and take an LA tour with Sunseekers Tours on that in-between day (Only major tour company that picks up in Long Beach) and otherwise spend the rest of your time in Long Beach (Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary)...Note, despite it being Long BEACH, you may have to take an Uber to get to any serviceable beach...The major hotels are not near the beaches.

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 2

It would help to know your nightly budget and what you consider "reasonable".

Long Beach, despite the name, isn't really a beach resort city. There are no hotels on the beach and most of Long Beach beaches are inside the breakwater of the port.

Santa Monica is where I'd stay in October (one of our hottest months), but a basic 2^ hotel near the beach (Seaview Hotel and Sea Shore Hotel) are usually around $200 a night.

I'd prefer NOT be in Hollywood in October, especially the first two weeks, BUT hotels will come much cheaper and you have great transportation, including the subway.

Coming in two days early, I probably would not stay in Long Beach, especially to sightsee "LA".

Long Beach is a nice place to visit for a few hours but as others have noted, it’s not a star attraction in itself. I love the Santa Monica suggestion because it’s just so Southern California: the beach, the sun, the pier, and the vibe.

Or just go to Anaheim to visit Mickey. So many hotels to choose from! I’ve stayed at the Hilton, from which you can see the evening fireworks at Disneyland. 

On 6/14/2021 at 1:33 AM, Bruin Steve said:

But better hotels in Santa Monica typically come at a steep price...Look at the Loews, Marriott LeMerigot, Shutters at the Beach...or, off the beach at the Fairmont Miramar, Wyndham, Huntley, Georgian, even the Marriott Courtyard or the Hampton Inn...

If your budget permits I would also second Shutters-- wonderful place and right on the beach. I would also add Casa del Mar to that list-- I believe its still managed by the Shutters folks and it can sometimes be a tiny bit less expensive and its very close by. 

There occasionally can be some good deals at the Fairmont Miramar-- but it is a bit more corporate and as the previous poster said not quite on the beach itself. The pool is quite nice though there. 

7 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

There occasionally can be some good deals at the Fairmont Miramar-- but it is a bit more corporate and as the previous poster said not quite on the beach itself. The pool is quite nice though there. 

The Miramar is a bit "more corporate"? It is the oldest hotel in Santa Monica, turning 100 this year, and is full of that old word charm lacking in so many of Santa Monica's hotels.

But it is fairly expensive. Charm ain't cheap.

15 hours ago, scottca075 said:

The Miramar is a bit "more corporate"?

It's more corporate than Shutters, which sort of feels like your very rich Aunt's beach house. I was more saying that the clientele at the Fairmont tend to be a lot of business people (back when business people still travelled). 

On 6/13/2021 at 10:33 PM, Bruin Steve said:

"All of the above" would be near impossible...

First off, Long Beach is nowhere near what most people would consider essential "great LA sightseeing".  "Hotel on the beach that is reasonable" only exists if your standards for "reasonable" are based on a reasonable idea as to what "reasonable prices" means here in LA...likely a bit higher than wherever you are from...and BEWARE any really cheap hotels--likely cheap for a reason!!

Hey Steve glad to see you are doing good. What are your current recommendations for park and cruise hotels for Long Beach? We stayed at the Maya last time and while they are nice the rooms they give out for park and cruise are not my cup of tea. Shuttle would be nice, but we can uber.

54 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Hey Steve glad to see you are doing good. What are your current recommendations for park and cruise hotels for Long Beach? We stayed at the Maya last time and while they are nice the rooms they give out for park and cruise are not my cup of tea. Shuttle would be nice, but we can uber.

A lot of Long Beach hotels don't have Park and Cruise rates--because parking at some of them is at a premium.  In the Convention Center area, it's just the Maya Doubletree and the Hilton.  The Hilton is not quite as conveniently located as the two Hyatts or the Renaissance...but it's not bad.  It is on the side of the channel with all the shopping and restaurants...and though a slightly longer walk to most of those than the Hyatts, it's still very walkable.  And it may suit your personal style more than the Maya, perhaps.  Maybe worth a try?

Some people like the Hotel Current.  They do offer  "Park and Cruise" deal...HOWEVER...it is a LONG way from the port--several miles--and not near any shopping, restaurants or tourist sites.  It's clear on the other side of Long Beach--near Cal State Long Beach...and it's more of a "motel" than a first class hotel.  Still works for some people--IF they have their car, they can always drive to attractions or restaurants.  OTOH, it's a VERY long shuttle ride to the port and back.  Not what I look for in a hotel.

I am staying in San Pedro for my pre-cruise night before my October 30 Majestic Princess cruise (I usually don't cruise Carnival, so I don't need to stay in Long Beach--San Pedro is much more convenient for Princess and other cruises).  Last time we did this, we did a Park and Cruise at the San Pedro Doubletree...and it was very nice...BUT, it would not be convenient if you're cruising Carnival...and there's less to do in Pedro than LB.  And the Doubletree is in a very quiet area.  This next time, we are going to do a Park and Cruise at the San Pedro Crowne Plaza--not quite as nice as the Doubletree but incredibly convenient to the San Pedro Cruise Center and a lot of restaurants.

Good luck.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

A lot of Long Beach hotels don't have Park and Cruise rates--because parking at some of them is at a premium.  In the Convention Center area, it's just the Maya Doubletree and the Hilton.  The Hilton is not quite as conveniently located as the two Hyatts or the Renaissance...but it's not bad.  It is on the side of the channel with all the shopping and restaurants...and though a slightly longer walk to most of those than the Hyatts, it's still very walkable.  And it may suit your personal style more than the Maya, perhaps.  Maybe worth a try?

Some people like the Hotel Current.  They do offer  "Park and Cruise" deal...HOWEVER...it is a LONG way from the port--several miles--and not near any shopping, restaurants or tourist sites.  It's clear on the other side of Long Beach--near Cal State Long Beach...and it's more of a "motel" than a first class hotel.  Still works for some people--IF they have their car, they can always drive to attractions or restaurants.  OTOH, it's a VERY long shuttle ride to the port and back.  Not what I look for in a hotel.

I am staying in San Pedro for my pre-cruise night before my October 30 Majestic Princess cruise (I usually don't cruise Carnival, so I don't need to stay in Long Beach--San Pedro is much more convenient for Princess and other cruises).  Last time we did this, we did a Park and Cruise at the San Pedro Doubletree...and it was very nice...BUT, it would not be convenient if you're cruising Carnival...and there's less to do in Pedro than LB.  And the Doubletree is in a very quiet area.  This next time, we are going to do a Park and Cruise at the San Pedro Crowne Plaza--not quite as nice as the Doubletree but incredibly convenient to the San Pedro Cruise Center and a lot of restaurants.

Good luck.

Thank you! Really don't need much more than a place to eat, sleep, and leave the car for a few days. You've given me some really good options.

For those local or more familiar with the area - We are leaving from the port in Long Beach on 9/25. Coming in earlier in the week to spend a couple of days at DL first, and will probably just stay in the Anaheim area. We hoped to take the rail down to the port but I'm seeing estimates that it's still a 37-minute walk from downtown Long Beach station? Is that accurate? Would we be best to plan to go there and then uber, or should we look into some other transportation method on the morning of departure? I'm only moderately familiar with the metro system in LA and my husband hasn't ever been.

If I may ask a question.  We booked a Princess cruise for Oct.  It leaves out of San Pedro.  Plan to fly in day prior and looking for a hotel close to the cruise port.  I am looking at Marriotts, Hiltons, or Hyatt's.  I have lots of points with all three hotel chains.  Also how far is LGB airport to port?  We may fly into LGB instead of LAX.  Thanks for all your help.

1 hour ago, BellaBuggy said:

We hoped to take the rail down to the port but I'm seeing estimates that it's still a 37-minute walk from downtown Long Beach station? Is that accurate?

There is no rail from Anaheim to Long Beach. You have to take a regular train from Anaheim into Downtown LA, then switch to light rail from DTLA to Long Beach. You'd spend 3 hours on public transportation for a 35 minute ride on Uber or Lyft.

4 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I am looking at Marriotts, Hiltons, or Hyatt's.  I have lots of points with all three hotel chains.  Also how far is LGB airport to port?  We may fly into LGB instead of LAX.  Thanks for all your help.

DoubleTree Hilton is the only of the three in San Pedro. All three are in Downtown Long Beach.

LGB is MUCH better than LAX in every way possible.

42 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

There is no rail from Anaheim to Long Beach. You have to take a regular train from Anaheim into Downtown LA, then switch to light rail from DTLA to Long Beach. You'd spend 3 hours on public transportation for a 35 minute ride on Uber or Lyft.

DoubleTree Hilton is the only of the three in San Pedro. All three are in Downtown Long Beach.

LGB is MUCH better than LAX in every way possible.

Thanks scottca075;  we just booked roundtrip Delta flights to LGB. Flying in day prior.  We have the Doubletree in San Pedro booked and the Hyatt in LGB booked.  I have until 72 hrs prior to arrival to cancel either one.  Thanks for your help

Edited by AF-1

3 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks scottca075;  we just booked roundtrip Delta flights to LGB. Flying in day prior.  We have the Doubletree in San Pedro booked and the Hyatt in LGB booked.  I have until 72 hrs prior to arrival to cancel either one.  Thanks for your help

Hopefully you have the Hyatt Centric booked in Long Beach, not the Hyatt Regency. I think the Centric, which is a newer hotel and twos blocks away is nicer.

1 minute ago, scottca075 said:

Hopefully you have the Hyatt Centric booked in Long Beach, not the Hyatt Regency. I think the Centric, which is a newer hotel and twos blocks away is nicer.

I booked the Hyatt Regency; it looked nice.  The Centric looked like a new wave hotel.  Looking at the pictured that is what it looked like to me.  I know the Hyatt is just around the corner from Centric; which is located closer to the water.  What's a good Mexican or Seafood place close to this hotel?  Thanks

14 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

What's a good Mexican or Seafood place close to this hotel?  Thanks

Near the hotel are Jack's (Mexican) and Parker's Lighthouse. Both are adequate. Better seafood that is walkable is Pier 76 Seafood Grill; better still but a short Uber ride is Roe Seafood. Better Mexican would be Lola's or Merced's, but both are Uber rides away.

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Near the hotel are Jack's (Mexican) and Parker's Lighthouse. Both are adequate. Better seafood that is walkable is Pier 76 Seafood Grill; better still but a short Uber ride is Roe Seafood. Better Mexican would be Lola's or Merced's, but both are Uber rides away.

Thanks for this info.  One more question. How far is the Hyatt Centric from the port where Princess docks in San Pedro. Plan on uber from hotel to port

Edited by AF-1

20 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Thank you!

In August we are staying 2 nights before the cruise at Hyatt Regency in Long Beach.  For previous cruises we have used the Renaissance, loved it and the Broadlind, would not recommend that one.  we take a taxi or uber over to the ship.  Lots of things in Walking distance.  This year we are going to take the ferry over to Catalina for the day.