LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Based on info on this site, I cancelled all our excursions on Wednesday of this week. On Friday, the credits showed up on my VISA credit card as PENDING.  They should be finalized today, and then I will cancel our Iceland cruise.  Honestly, the credit came through much quicker than I expected.  Not sure what recourse there is for those who didn't get excursions credited before your cruise cancellation was effective. 

How soon after registering at visit.covid.is we receive the confirmation email and the link to barcode

I did it 16 hours ago and received nothing yet. Did it the second time an hour ago.

Thanks.

Edited by PaulChiru

13 minutes ago, PaulChiru said:

How soon after registering at visit.covid.is we receive the confirmation email and the link to barcode

I did it 16 hours ago and received nothing yet. Did it the second time an hour ago.

Thanks.

I had mine before I had finished entering the info for DH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hodges97 said:

Somewhere back up in this thread somebody mentioned that if the excursions were booked on a Visa card there may be some recourse there.  Can anybody expand on this?

I think what they meant was to file a claim/dispute with your credit card company. Also, what I have read is to cancel your excursions first and get the refund before you cancel the cruise and get the voucher. 

Somewhere back up in this thread somebody mentioned that if the excursions were booked on a Visa card there may be some recourse there.  Can anybody expand on this?

I think what they meant was to file a claim/dispute with your credit card company. Also, what I have read is to cancel your excursions first and get the refund before you cancel the cruise and get the voucher. 

2 hours ago, hodges97 said:

I'm the one who mentioned it. First get Viking to make it right.

If that fails, then and only the should you try get the credit card company involved. It is very complicated and considering that Viking has more or less refunded it to you in the voucher, the credit card company may not want to get involved. I just depends on how hard you want to push the issue.

2 hours ago, hodges97 said:

Me: file a complaint with your bank protest the charges snd agreements 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Good evening.  I’m sitting on Silver Shadow in Reykjavik waiting to sail and I’m watching Viking Sky arrive at the pier.  The ship was not scheduled till tomorrow.  Does anyone know why she is arriving a day early? 9907574F-66F6-442E-912C-14E317570277.thumb.jpeg.2775f2f3793eacc7e2f4e8db7abaa45d.jpeg

Yes port before was too rough to tender so it was bypassed. 

As I reported earlier, on Monday we cancelled our 8/21 booking even though we were past the 14-day risk-free guarantee, so Viking's normal cancellation penalty applies. Today, I checked my credit card statement, and Viking has promptly refunded the amounts we paid for shore excursions and gratuities. Still waiting to hear from TripMate about our Cancel for Any Reason claim, but past experience is TripMate takes a while to process a claim.

17 hours ago, Dukefan said:

If the situation you are talking about with regards to the Viking Sky was the July 10th sailing, I believe no one left the ship until we returned to Reykjavik.  I was on that cruise and one person tested positive on the forth day.  About 11 folks wre contact traced to that person.  The positive person was put in quarantine on the ship.   The 11 folks were quarantined I believe for about a day until that had two negetive tests.   Iceland didn't know quite how to deal with the situation so we basically missed our last three ports. When folks got off to tour, they were called back at two of the final three ports and we skipped the last one.  As far as I know, everyone when home as scheduled except the one positive case and their cabin mate.   That is my best recall of what happened. If anyone heard anything different, jump in and correct me.

As to where the case started, the best guess is that it probably happen on the trip to Iceland, but took four days to show positive.

So has there been only one sailing in which people were quarantined for the rest of the cruise by Iceland, in other words, because they were on the same bus as a positive person?   It sounds like the positive case on Dukefan's July 10 sailing was handled using Viking's protocol and that either the positive person wasn't on a bus or else the person tested positive before Iceland decided all people on the same bus as a positive person should be quarantined on the ship for multiple days.  Does anybody have any more information about this?    

32 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

So has there been only one sailing in which people were quarantined for the rest of the cruise by Iceland, in other words, because they were on the same bus as a positive person?   It sounds like the positive case on Dukefan's July 10 sailing was handled using Viking's protocol and that either the positive person wasn't on a bus or else the person tested positive before Iceland decided all people on the same bus as a positive person should be quarantined on the ship for multiple days.  Does anybody have any more information about this?    

It happened on our July 13 Jupiter sailing at least to one couple.  We were never contacted by any others that had a bus contact quarantine. https://www.luxurytraveldocs.com/2021/07/how-we-dealt-with-covid-19-and-contact.html

While Viking initially told me by chat (I have screen shots and telephone conversation and telephone conversation with my TA) that they were going to issue credit to my Visa for the excursions if they were cancelled 72 hours prior.  Mine were cancelled a week before we cancelled the cruise.  Now they say they misspoke and respectfully decline my request for a refund.   Only FCC.  I told him i was considering disputing with Visa.  He sent me an email telling me that would mess up the FCC and put everything in jeopardy.  

There is almost $5000 in dispute for the 4 of us traveling.  

To say I'm frustrated and dissapointed in Viking is an understatement.   I really thought Viking was above this.   I will talk to the TA again Monday and decide where to go.  If any of you guys have any ideas I'm open.  

15 minutes ago, hodges97 said:

While Viking initially told me by chat (I have screen shots and telephone conversation and telephone conversation with my TA) that they were going to issue credit to my Visa for the excursions if they were cancelled 72 hours prior.  Mine were cancelled a week before we cancelled the cruise.  Now they say they misspoke and respectfully decline my request for a refund.   Only FCC.  I told him i was considering disputing with Visa.  He sent me an email telling me that would mess up the FCC and put everything in jeopardy.  

To say I'm frustrated and dissapointed in Viking is an understatement.   I really thought Viking was above this.   I will talk to the TA again Monday and decide where to go.  If any of you guys have any ideas I'm open.  

If it were me, I would forge ahead and file with your credit card company. You have the evidence. Viking can re-do the FCC. The only party in jeopardy is Viking.

Going forward I would suggest a cruise company that will allow refunds - not FCC. 

Jack

Edited by Heartgrove

14 minutes ago, hodges97 said:

I disagree with Heartgrove. Give your TA a chance to work with Viking.  You have plenty of time to dispute it with the credit card company.  I did several of mine after Covid hit months after I had paid for airfare, tours, etc that got canceled. 

Now If your agent doesn’t get anywhere, then go enter the dispute ASAP. 

• Like 1

The important thing is to get on file with your credit card company. You will not be required to pay the outstanding charge nor accrue interest if you explain steps that are being taken. That can be done while the travel agent tries to resolve this. If you wait a few months and then contact the credit card company, they may question the delay.

• Like 1