LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Thank you!  All the info you've given me is helpful.  I'm really asking about the future.  We were on the Aug 3-10 cruise and didn't bid, but we'd love to go back to Iceland someday soon.  We stayed there for an additional 4 days after the cruise and absolutely loved it.  It was not enough though!  And we know how lucky we were during our cruise - great weather, able to do excursions every single day, no one got sick or tested positive so no quarantine, etc.  I sincerely hope everyone going on future Iceland cruises have an equally great time.  Thanks again.

3 hours ago, travelordie said:

We'll be on the Viking Sky starting August 28th and have purchased the Halsar Hike excursion in Djupivogur.  Has anyone done this excursion and does anyone know whether there are midges in the vicinity?

We did the Halsar hike on our Sky cruise Aug 8 and experienced no midges.  It was beautiful and a bit challenging!

1 hour ago, Lil Puppy Dog said:

Thank you!  All the info you've given me is helpful.  I'm really asking about the future.  We were on the Aug 3-10 cruise and didn't bid, but we'd love to go back to Iceland someday soon.  We stayed there for an additional 4 days after the cruise and absolutely loved it.  It was not enough though!  And we know how lucky we were during our cruise - great weather, able to do excursions every single day, no one got sick or tested positive so no quarantine, etc.  I sincerely hope everyone going on future Iceland cruises have an equally great time.  Thanks again.

We were on the July 17 Sky cruise plus stayed in Iceland for an extra week. We have also decided to return for another visit in the future. Next time  I would recommend the Snaefellsnes Peninsula and Westfjords Region for your consideration. Our weather for the five days was almost perfect except for one day of rain. Due to the timing of having our COVID test taken in Reykjavik we then drove as far east as Vik for the last two days. Our intention for a return trip is to skip the touristy South Region but return for a more relaxed trip through the Westfjords and adding the Northern Region as far as Husavik.

I want to recommend Blue Car Rental for a rental vehicle. We did have a small problem early on in the rental on Sunday. Using their network of repair garages, one responded and we were in his facility within twenty minutes. Blue Car Rental also did a reasonable adjustment to our final bill for our inconvenience. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I'd offer to mail you my midge hat but I doubt it would get to you in time, so I'll just hold on to it.  But at least the midges don't bite.  They're just annoying.  And I don't think any insect repellent phases them. At least a face mask will keep them from getting in your nose and mouth!!!

20210808_190556 ORIG modelinghighlysoughtafterbugnet.jpg

Thank you for your kind offer.  We purchased midge hats for a trip to Western Australia two years go.  We've decided that we may as well bring them to Iceland to play it safe.

We're on the August 28th sailing of the Viking Sky and have purchased the Coastal Heimaey by RIB excursion.  Has anyone done this excursion and if so, would you recommend it?  We realize that Heimaey might be cancelled if the waters are rough so we may have no choice but so far, we're keen to do this excursion.

We crossed the Arctic Circle at 7:55 PM, after leaving Isafjordur on the way to Akureyri. Day 3, August 16.

We called Guest Services that evening, who then called the bridge.  GS then called back with the time of the expected crossing.  We were able to be on our balcony to see Sky cross the dotted line in the sea.  Got a nice certificate a couple days later.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Madeline - I see you're from DC area too, so here's more info: 

I just looked up what we paid Icelandair, and it was $920 for the two of us. They charged it several days before we flew. We weren't booked on Icelandair coming back, so the $920 was just for the two of us going TO Iceland. And I had already paid Icelandair a bit more for economy seats with more legroom, although I have no idea if that's relevant or not.

How crowded was plane from DC

We leave u. 5 days and 30% of seats are empty

17 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I don't remember anyone mentioning midges/knats on the Halsar Hike.  I think mostly they're at the Lake Myvatn area (excursion from Akureyri), but I could be wrong. I didn't pay much attention to the hikes. The midges were atrocious at the area of Dimmubogur ("Dark Castle" rock formations), but I think their activity depends somewhat on weather/moisture conditions, so maybe they don't always bother people there. 

I'd offer to mail you my midge hat but I doubt it would get to you in time, so I'll just hold on to it.  But at least the midges don't bite.  They're just annoying.  And I don't think any insect repellent phases them. At least a face mask will keep them from getting in your nose and mouth!!!

20210808_190556 ORIG modelinghighlysoughtafterbugnet.jpg

Cute!  We bought ours on Amazon.  https://amzn.to/3B91dLe Two pack and easy to throw in the bag.  We didn't have a lot but we had a missed port due to covid on Viking Jupiter July 13.  Per reports northern Iceland is the bad spot. 

quick question for those of you that flew back thru JFK.

did any of you have Mobile Pass and if so, did it help with the long lines? We have a pretty quick turn around for our connection and I wonder if it will make a big difference. 

We have TSA Pre but never did the Global Entry, so that is not an option at this point.

TIA!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, susanlik said:

We flew IAD-KEF on 7/15 and returned 7/31,  i also kept track on the Icelandair app as to how many seats were occupied. Both flights aboard the 767-300, FI465 and FI466, were close to capacity the days we flew even though showing approximately 30% empty. Saga Clas had every seat occupied both ways.

I recommend 7 A&B and 7 F&G with the extra legroom if tall (6`2"),

But contrary to what SeatGuru says about the electronics box underneath "B", "D", and "F", it barely intrudes on footspace. There is plenty of room in the overhead bins for bags.

16 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

We flew IAD-KEF on 7/15 and returned 7/31,  i also kept track on the Icelandair app as to how many seats were occupied. Both flights aboard the 767-300, FI465 and FI466, were close to capacity the days we flew even though showing approximately 30% empty. Saga Clas had every seat occupied both ways.

But contrary to what SeatGuru says about the electronics box underneath "B", "D", and "F", it barely intrudes on footspace. There is plenty of room in the overhead bins for bags.

Actually, it was FI644 (757-200) and FI645 (767-300) for us on 8/11 and 8/21 for IAD-KEF. Saga was full on the outbound and had 2 seats open on the return.

12 hours ago, susanlik said:

For our August 3 Icelandair nonstop to KEF, my spouse says the flight looked "very full" in economy, and I know seats in Saga were filled.

One thing I might mention: If you bid/win Saga seats and you have TSA PreCheck, you might want to make sure Icelandair has your new Saga seat info.  We didn't get to use PreCheck, but I wasn't sure if that was because I hadn't mentioned to Icelandair that I had changed seats or if we just weren't selected for PreCheck on that flight.  In any case, it didn't take long to get through security that evening, so it didn't really make much difference.  

16 minutes ago, oldgeez said:

Actually, it was FI644 (757-200) and FI645 (767-300) for us on 8/11 and 8/21 for IAD-KEF. Saga was full on the outbound and had 2 seats open on the return.

Yes, I should have written FI644 and FI645. I must have referenced the flight numbers 50 times after booking them! Although i enjoy flying on a "pencil", the two-aisle 767 with paired outboard seats are a bit more comfortable on long-hauls.

Edited by Heartgrove

33 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I looked at SeatGuru but was confused about whether we would be on a 767-300 "with winglets" or without. Do you happen to know the difference, and if it affects the seating?  

3 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I looked at SeatGuru but was confused about whether we would be on a 767-300 "with winglets" or without. Do you happen to know the difference, and if it affects the seating?  

Icelandair has four 767-300 currently flying and even though they originally came from three airlines (two from one airline), all four are configured the same. And all four have winglets. Two are to be placed into all-cargo status next year due to replacement 737 MAX deliveries.

The 757 fleet is a different story as there are three different configurations.

• Thanks 1

Just posted, then edited this: 

If you're on the Icelandair nonstop this coming Monday (August 30th), you should look at this alert about a possible strike of air traffic controllers in Iceland: 

https://www.icelandair.com/support/pre-flight/travel-alert/

It DOES mention those traveling the night of Aug. 30th.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

1 hour ago, covergirl1300 said:

did any of you have Mobile Pass and if so, did it help with the long lines? We have a pretty quick turn around for our connection and I wonder if it will make a big difference. 

We have TSA Pre but never did the Global Entry, so that is not an option at this point.

TIA!

Can’t answer for JFK, but we’ve used it for our home airport—Seattle—as well as a few other gateways coming home from abroad. It’s as good or better than Global Entry because you fill out the form in the app while taxiing to your gate—and you bypass all lines quickly. You should use it—absolutely.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, gramfrog said:

We are on Jupiter now, just leaving Reykjavik for isfajordur. Can anyone tell me which day and about what time of day the ship crosses the Arctic Circle?  After leaving which port?  Thank you. 

We are also onJupiter. If you look at the printed copy of the daily it mentions when we cross the arctic circle. I think it is around 8:45 tonight. 

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Can’t answer for JFK, but we’ve used it for our home airport—Seattle—as well as a few other gateways coming home from abroad. It’s as good or better than Global Entry because you fill out the form in the app while taxiing to your gate—and you bypass all lines quickly. You should use it—absolutely.

Global Entry includes TSA Pre-check. 

From their website:

TSA PreCheck® provides expedited security screening benefits for flights departing from U.S. Airports. Global Entry provides expedited U.S. customs screening for international air travelers when entering the United States. Global Entry members also receive TSA PreCheck® benefits as part of their membership.  Global Entry is $100 for 5 years.  TSA Pre-check is $85.

We just renewed our Global Entry.  We felt a little guilty bypassing hundreds of people in line but got over that quickly!  Well worth the money.

2 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We used Mobile Passport and it saved time in JFK.  Unfortunately, DMIL didn’t have Precheck so security took forever. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, covergirl1300 said:

TIA!

Posted response to wrong person.  
we used mobile passport at JFK (DMIL doesn’t have global entry) and it definitely saved time in line. Unfortunately rechecking through security since she didn’t have Precheck took a long time in a hot terminal. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Icelandair has four 767-300 currently flying and even though they originally came from three airlines (two from one airline), all four are configured the same. And all four have winglets. Two are to be placed into all-cargo status next year due to replacement 737 MAX deliveries.

The 757 fleet is a different story as there are three different configurations.

so if iceland air from dc to kef shows a nearly empty 767-300 i am assuming they are changing to the smaller 757-200?