LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

41 minutes ago, kotman said:

We're staying 3 more days, so , the last morning results would really help us! Whom and when should we ask for the "last day results" to be emailed us and to get extra spitting tube?

Viking does not normally do a test the day you disembark. The last sample is collected the day you are visiting Haimaey. So it will be valid for that day plus two. As an example, disembark Saturday and fly on Monday for the three days and travel day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Sadly we've had disaster every single time with Boston Global entry. i'm OK but wife can't seem to get machine to read her prints. Agent then gets POed at us. We get through last.
Recently returning from Iceland the GE terminals were all occupied with folks queuing up. Regular entry had very short lines. Got through in a couple minutes.
My 2nd disappointment with GE is that I never get TSA Pre-Check with it. Never.

In addition to the other tips listed, a flight attendant told me a few years ago to be sure my hands were well-hydrated, e.g., always apply lotion just before deplaning.  Since using that trick, I've never had any issues with fingerprint readers, and before I started doing that, we were in this exact situation....husband waiting on me because I could never get through the fingerprint reader.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Viking does not normally do a test the day you disembark. The last sample is collected the day you are visiting Haimaey. So it will be valid for that day plus two. As an example, disembark Saturday and fly on Monday for the three days and travel day.

Do you think they will if asked?

On Jupiter. I’m rather annoyed at Viking right now. I just found out that you ARE able to book a private guide in each port. You are not allowed to wander on your own but I confirmed w an Excursions staff that you can book a private tour. You must let Guest Services know and they will get security to let you off the ship. I mentioned a group we had used, Troll Excursions, and he said they were approved. The PA announcements were phrased funny about the all aboard times so I asked. I asked first at the Tour Desk and she said “no way” but the Excursions staff said yes. It is too late for us (day four) but future cruisers may be able to schedule something. PLEASE confirm w Viking before you make plans to make sure it works on your sailing. I am going to reach out to tellus and see what they say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bookworm114 said:

On Jupiter. I’m rather annoyed at Viking right now. I just found out that you ARE able to book a private guide in each port. You are not allowed to wander on your own but I confirmed w an Excursions staff that you can book a private tour. You must let Guest Services know and they will get security to let you off the ship. I mentioned a group we had used, Troll Excursions, and he said they were approved. The PA announcements were phrased funny about the all aboard times so I asked. I asked first at the Tour Desk and she said “no way” but the Excursions staff said yes. It is too late for us (day four) but future cruisers may be able to schedule something. PLEASE confirm w Viking before you make plans to make sure it works on your sailing. I am going to reach out to tellus and see what they say. 

Wow

14 hours ago, Wander58 said:

Yes.  Just make sure to check the date if you are staying longer.  They gave us printed results for the 22nd.  I called Guest Services and asked them to  print our results from the 23rd as we were flying on the 25th.  I wanted the extra day just in case of any flight delays.  You can also get an extra spit tube and results for morning you leave the ship if you are staying a few more days - they will email it. 

We requested and received two tubes the morning of departure.  Left our samples with them as we disembarked and they emailed our results within 24 hours.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kotman said:

Do you think they will if asked?

I'm not sure. The alternative is making an appointment with the Ministry of Health for a test.

Not sure what the volume is now of people needing tests (we tested Thursday, July 29 and flew July 31) as we stood in line for almost two hours. We had our result in an email within seven hours and they charged 50€ for a PCR test. Our original plan was like yours to stay an additional three days. But when we found out that the VO test would no longer be valid, extended our stay to a full week and test in Isafjordur. But then found out that the lab is in Reykjavik so results could take 48 hours. Too close for comfort. Rather than heading back north we drove along the Southern Coast the last two days.

11 hours ago, aungrl said:

In addition to the other tips listed, a flight attendant told me a few years ago to be sure my hands were well-hydrated, e.g., always apply lotion just before deplaning.  Since using that trick, I've never had any issues with fingerprint readers, and before I started doing that, we were in this exact situation....husband waiting on me because I could never get through the fingerprint reader.  

This may have already been mentioned, but in case it's helpful: I was rusty coming back into Minneapolis from Iceland.  I put my hand on the Global Entry screen but was rejected.  Then I put just my fingers on there, and that was accepted.  I think there's a little diagram to show you that, but of course, I didn't pay much attention to it before I tried it. 

5 hours ago, Bookworm114 said:

That's how I interpreted the original statement I saw - wandering on your own not allowed; private excursions OK.  But it's a fluid situation, so if I were traveling now, I'd definitely check with Excursions staff once onboard any Jupiter or Sky, at least in Iceland. And I wouldn't prepay for any private excursions without assurance by the vendor that they would refund if something changed. 

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

I'm not sure. The alternative is making an appointment with the Ministry of Health for a test.

Not sure what the volume is now of people needing tests (we tested Thursday, July 29 and flew July 31) as we stood in line for almost two hours. We had our result in an email within seven hours and they charged 50€ for a PCR test. Our original plan was like yours to stay an additional three days. But when we found out that the VO test would no longer be valid, extended our stay to a full week and test in Isafjordur. But then found out that the lab is in Reykjavik so results could take 48 hours. Too close for comfort. Rather than heading back north we drove along the Southern Coast the last two days.

We stayed two extra weeks in Iceland. Very easily made an appointment online to get our rapid test in Reykjavik at 10 am. Walked right in, out in 20 minutes, results in 54 minutes! Cost was 35 euro.  So easy

6 hours ago, Bookworm114 said:

Are you SERIOUS????  Is it too late for Heinens or Djukovor???? Tomorrow/ Monday???

It was too late to change OUR plans for the next two days. We booked two excursions a day so as to be off the ship. FYI. They are both tender ports coming up and if you have multiple excursions that don’t allow enough time to tender back and forth for lunch, Guest Services will give you lunch vouchers to use at a specific cafe on shore. I don’t know if they offer automatically but I asked how to handle lunch and then they offered them. Food on the ship is lovely so I hope the two places are good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madrone said:

We requested and received two tubes the morning of departure.  Left our samples with them as we disembarked and they emailed our results within 24 hours.

May I ask, who did you ask for the additional tubes? The stuard? The guest service desk? Somebody else?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Mpc524 said:

We stayed two extra weeks in Iceland. Very easily made an appointment online to get our rapid test in Reykjavik at 10 am. Walked right in, out in 20 minutes, results in 54 minutes! Cost was 35 euro.  So easy

Yes, people having the Rapid Test were walking past us to a different part of the building so were no doubt done in 20 minutes! But we needed the PCR test to not chance the false positive or false  negative that the Rapid Test frequently delivers.

The PCR nasal and oral swab was a completely different situation. Our appointment was actually for 10:15. We arrived in the area around 10 but the parking situation was terrible. Tow-away signs posted everywhere. My wife got in line while I searched for a space. Found one three city blocks away. We drove away at almost noon.

Edited by Heartgrove

11 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Yes, people having the Rapid Test were walking past us to a different part of the building so were no doubt done in 20 minutes! But we needed the PCR test to not chance the false negative that the Rapid Test frequently delivers.

The PCR nasal and oral swab was a completely different situation. Our appointment was actually for 10:15. We arrived in the area around 10 but the parking situation was terrible. Tow-away signs posted everywhere. My wife got in line while I searched for a space. Found one three city blocks away. We drove away at almost noon.

Ah. USA accepts the rapid one. 

1 hour ago, kotman said:

May I ask, who did you ask for the additional tubes? The stuard? The guest service desk? Somebody else?

Thanks!

Just call Guest Services the day before you get off the ship.  The friends that were traveling with had the tubes left for them the evening before we disembarked.  They only do it if you ask but it's not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Bookworm114 said:

It was too late to change OUR plans for the next two days. We booked two excursions a day so as to be off the ship. FYI. They are both tender ports coming up and if you have multiple excursions that don’t allow enough time to tender back and forth for lunch, Guest Services will give you lunch vouchers to use at a specific cafe on shore. I don’t know if they offer automatically but I asked how to handle lunch and then they offered them. Food on the ship is lovely so I hope the two places are good. 

You did better than we did!  We didn't ask for anything, as we were just planning to stay ashore after the first excursion and eat at one of the restaurants not far from the pier instead of going back to the ship for lunch.  But before I left the ship, there was a knock on the door, and someone was standing there with a bag with 2 small sandwiches, 2 apples, 2 bananas, and 2 bottles of water!  It wasn't a fabulous lunch, but it did solve the problem of where I could/should eat lunch!  I ended up eating mine a third of the way up Eldfell Mountain, and saw someone else doing the same!  My spouse decided to pass on the AM excursion and just eat lunch on the ship before joining me later. 

I don't know what places Viking might be offering vouchers for, but I read pre-cruise that Gott at Barustigur 11 is good, with a more varied menu than most restaurants in Heimaey.

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

You did better than we did!  We didn't ask for anything, as we were just planning to stay ashore after the first excursion and eat at one of the restaurants not far from the pier instead of going back to the ship for lunch.  But before I left the ship, there was a knock on the door, and someone was standing there with a bag with 2 small sandwiches, 2 apples, 2 bananas, and 2 bottles of water!  It wasn't a fabulous lunch, but it did solve the problem of where I could/should eat lunch!  I ended up eating mine a third of the way up Eldfell Mountain, and saw someone else doing the same!  My spouse decided to pass on the AM excursion and just eat lunch on the ship before joining me later. 

I don't know what places Viking might be offering vouchers for, but I read pre-cruise that Gott at Barustigur 11 is good, with a more varied menu than most restaurants in Heimaey.

I wish. The coupons are good for Langabud in Djupivogur and Tanginn in Heimaey. Both of them are right by the piers. Now I just hope we stop in Heimaey since the last five cruises have bypassed due to weather. 

I’m aboard now and must say as a first time Viking cruiser (but cruiser on many other lines over 30 years from Princess to Regent) that I am very impressed by Viking so far. 
Perhaps I’ve found a match for my inner simple luxury loving knowledge nerd.

• Like 8

Got some good news for those of us flying home on August 31 and for those arriving to Iceland on the 31st.  Received a text from Iceland Air saying the potential strike by the Air Controllers has been settled and our flight will go as scheduled.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carld said:

Got some good news for those of us flying home on August 31 and for those arriving to Iceland on the 31st.  Received a text from Iceland Air saying the potential strike by the Air Controllers has been settled and our flight will go as scheduled.  

...and here is the link. see update 1

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/518646/iceland-air-traffic-controllers-suspend-strike-planned-for-aug-31-update-1

• Like 2