Air Plus Premium Economy

rbslos18

We recently purchased Viking Plus Premium Economy seats for a Viking Mediterranean cruise in December. All but the transatlantic flights are in economy, even the Istanbul to Frankfurt flight. Premium Economy seats are available on all flights. Does Viking Plus Premium economy only apply to Transatlantic flights and not the connecting flights?

RB

Edited by rbslos18

Just now, rbslos18 said:

We recently purchased Premium Economy seats for a Viking Mediterranean cruise in December. All but the transatlantic flights are in economy, even the Istanbul to Frankfurt flight. Does Premium economy only apply to Transatlantic flights and not the connecting flights?

RB

I have booked my own Premium Economy and it was only on the transatlantic portion.  Premium Economy is often not a class of service available on domestic or shorter international flights.  But with PE i was able to choose more legroom, exit row or up front seats at no extra charge on the domestic flights.

It is airline and jet dependent.  You can google "airlines with best premium economy seats" and many sites will show you exactly what you will get.  You can also look at your flights and see which jet is being used.   You won't get a premium seat on a Boeing 737

Edited by Mary229

I reached Viking Air Plus. When purchasing Premium Economy to fly/return from a cruise leaving and returning from Europe/Asia, only the trans-ocean flights are Premium Economy. The connecting flights are economy seats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

I reached Viking Air Plus. When purchasing Premium Economy to fly/return from a cruise leaving and returning from Europe/Asia, only the trans-ocean flights are Premium Economy. The connecting flights are economy seats.

This is the way it has been, even before COVID-19, with air plus.  One reason we will not use it, at least til the airline shakeout and consumer demand subside.  You can do better on your own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

This is the way it has been, even before COVID-19, with air plus.  One reason we will not use it, at least til the airline shakeout and consumer demand subside.  You can do better on your own.

Actually doing the air on our own has greater risk. If the cruise is cancelled we are stuck holding the ticket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Actually doing the air on our own has greater risk. If the cruise is cancelled we are stuck holding the ticket.

Unless you have even future trips planned.  Our out is that if our cruise is cancelled we can change the ticket for no fee to another future trip.  Otherwise you are right.

in summary everyone’s situation may be different and there is no absolute right or wrong.  We do what we think best for our plans and situations.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, CCWineLover said:

Way better on our own.  Viking wanted $2k per person for PE for our flights, and that’s before adding the Air Plus fees.  We ended up getting PE tickets at $1300pp.  If Viking decides to cancel our cruise, we can always use the tickets for flights to Asia to visit the in-laws.

Don't disagree... but I'm letting Viking do the air.  I like them picking up and taking to the ship.  If for any reason the flight is canceled or late they take care of it.... but totally understand why you want to do your own.  We have 6 in our party.  If some thing went wrong it could be a nightmare if we were on our own.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Porcupine 52 said:

Don't disagree... but I'm letting Viking do the air.  I like them picking up and taking to the ship.  If for any reason the flight is canceled or late they take care of it.... but totally understand why you want to do your own.  We have 6 in our party.  If some thing went wrong it could be a nightmare if we were on our own.....

Will you be arriving the day of departure?

On 7/5/2021 at 8:39 AM, rbslos18 said:

We recently purchased Viking Plus Premium Economy seats for a Viking Mediterranean cruise in December. All but the transatlantic flights are in economy, even the Istanbul to Frankfurt flight. Premium Economy seats are available on all flights. Does Viking Plus Premium economy only apply to Transatlantic flights and not the connecting flights?

RB

Before and now, V's PE on transatlantic only. HOWEVER, I try to use Delta and pay extra Comfort+ add-on fee for domestic connection when coordinating my preferred flight combo with Air+ rep. 

NOTE: I once reserved the V 'free economy air' and intended to watch the variable Comfort+ upcharge, but later when I went to buy directly with Delta using their locator code, the Delta agent said the class of ticket under V contract was not upgradeable.  I have seen other posters confirm their experience with being unable to upgrade later for this reason.  LESSON: for Delta (others?), price the Comfort+ add-on at time of reservation with Air+ rep and they'll do upgrade at their quoted fee (in the ballpark of what the Comfort+ fee at Delta).  GOOD LUCK