Question, those who have cruised on "Welcome Back to the World" cruises, current restaurant seating.

C-sea

• C-sea changed the title to Question, those who have cruised on "Welcome Back to the World" cruises, current restaurant seating.

There are as many tables in the restaurant as there ever were (honestly, where would they put them?) but many have been marked to prevent them from being used for seating guests.  There is plenty of space between tables.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, molymoo said:

There are as many tables in the restaurant as there ever were (honestly, where would they put them?) but many have been marked to prevent them from being used for seating guests.  There is plenty of space between tables.  

Just watched the Orion web cam while having my morning coffee, you are having a beautiful day.

BTW, how many passengers are on your sailing? 

I expect more on our sailing July 13.  

I read that the Sky in Iceland has over 600 guests leaving today.

55 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Just watched the Orion web cam while having my morning coffee, you are having a beautiful day.

BTW, how many passengers are on your sailing? 

I expect more on our sailing July 13.  

I read that the Sky in Iceland has over 600 guests leaving today.

I don’t know what the exact number is but the difference is palpable.  The World Cafe is a peaceful breakfast venue … even before a day of excursions!  We actually got a seat for afternoon tea!  First time in several cruises!  And the Explorers Lounge is almost empty much of the time.  The only thing we have noticed … and some advice for future cruisers … if you want to use the thermal spa book RIGHT AWAY!  It is almost impossible to get a time … we’re going today but we canceled our excursion and are staying on board today.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, molymoo said:

The only thing we have noticed … and some advice for future cruisers … if you want to use the thermal spa book RIGHT AWAY!

Do we go to Spa to make the reservation for the thermal spa?  Thanks for the heads up.

Looking forward to tea in Wintergarden  at least once while on board. 

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Do we go to Spa to make the reservation for the thermal spa?  Thanks for the heads up.

We went to the spa desk.  We only made one reservation but the couple before us made several at once.  Sea days especially will fill up quickly.  

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

We went to the spa treatment desk on 1st floor right after we boarded and did the required saliva test.  So roughly about 5:15 PM on day of boarding.  There were already several times booked.  Most popular obviously were the sea days.  We found times at 8 am and 9 am to be the easiest to get.  Also 2 or 3 pm on St. George's excursion days (when you have your excursion in the morning).  I think we went 4 times in all - very worthwhile!

• Like 3

Just finished Iceland cruise. Restaurant tables for 2 are right next to each other as before.
Same with World Cafe seating.
Need reservations to use gym which I did although another passenger said that early AM arrivals just walked in.
Beware ~25% VAT tax added to Spa treatments on Iceland sail. Too pricey. Cancelled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philw1776 said:

Just finished Iceland cruise. Restaurant tables for 2 are right next to each other as before.
Same with World Cafe seating.
Need reservations to use gym which I did although another passenger said that early AM arrivals just walked in.
Beware ~25% VAT tax added to Spa treatments on Iceland sail. Too pricey. Cancelled.

On Bermuda cruise, yes the Restaurant tables have remained the same, as has Manfredi's and Chef's Table and World Cafe.  What has changed is that there is no close seating, as tables are now blocked off for no seating (with signs on them and no table service).

For example in The Restaurant, where they would have 3 twosome tables all close together, the middle one would not be allowed to be used. 

In World Cafe, the tables by the windows - every other table was blocked off.  In tables that held 6, they have had the middle 2 seats blocked off.

Viking was quite good about enforcing this - even though we saw many instances of passengers not caring and trying to sit in the blocked seats anyway.  The Viking people would kindly let them know they needed to move somewhere else.  Most took it well, but some did not saying it didn't bother them.  Didn't matter, they were moved.

We felt completely at ease in all the various restaurants.  Of course being Bermuda and decent weather, eating outside was quite popular and a real treat as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've been on VO ships several times but have only used the spa area once or twice.  What is the "thermal spa" - is that just the large pool-like structure in the spa area - the one where, if you turn it on, it makes very strong "waves" of sorts that you're pushing against to get from the front to the back?  Or is there something else in the spa area I missed before or don't remember?  Do you need to make reservations to use everything in that area, or are the reservations for just a part of it?  

12 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

On Bermuda cruise, yes the Restaurant tables have remained the same, as has Manfredi's and Chef's Table and World Cafe.  What has changed is that there is no close seating, as tables are now blocked off for no seating (with signs on them and no table service).

For example in The Restaurant, where they would have 3 twosome tables all close together, the middle one would not be allowed to be used. 

In World Cafe, the tables by the windows - every other table was blocked off.  In tables that held 6, they have had the middle 2 seats blocked off.

Viking was quite good about enforcing this - even though we saw many instances of passengers not caring and trying to sit in the blocked seats anyway.  The Viking people would kindly let them know they needed to move somewhere else.  Most took it well, but some did not saying it didn't bother them.  Didn't matter, they were moved.

We felt completely at ease in all the various restaurants.  Of course being Bermuda and decent weather, eating outside was quite popular and a real treat as well.

On Iceland 3 July the 3 twosome tables close together and other such were not blocked off.

No every other table blocked off in World Cafe either. Same as pre COVID.

Edited by philw1776

12 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I've been on VO ships several times but have only used the spa area once or twice.  What is the "thermal spa" - is that just the large pool-like structure in the spa area - the one where, if you turn it on, it makes very strong "waves" of sorts that you're pushing against to get from the front to the back?  Or is there something else in the spa area I missed before or don't remember?  Do you need to make reservations to use everything in that area, or are the reservations for just a part of it?  

The Spa area has the good size pool with a metal frame over the drives that you sit on for a message. It also creates a weak current, so can be used for easy swimming against. The room also has a hot tub, snow grotto, steam room/sauna, ice bucket and heated beds. The changing room also had a cooler tub.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Spa area has the good size pool with a metal frame over the drives that you sit on for a message. It also creates a weak current, so can be used for easy swimming against. The room also has a hot tub, snow grotto, steam room/sauna, ice bucket and heated beds. The changing room also had a cooler tub.

Thank you.  Clearly I didn't take advantage of all that was offered, but I'm not really a spa lover, so...

But I do remember the pool and the snow grotto.  I guess I'll wait to get onboard Jupiter and see what the status is then - reservations needed or not, hours the area is open, etc. It's quite a port-intensive cruise, so I may have to make sure to carve out some time to check out everything.   

58 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Thank you.  Clearly I didn't take advantage of all that was offered, but I'm not really a spa lover, so...

But I do remember the pool and the snow grotto.  I guess I'll wait to get onboard Jupiter and see what the status is then - reservations needed or not, hours the area is open, etc. It's quite a port-intensive cruise, so I may have to make sure to carve out some time to check out everything.   

During the intensive port stretches, we rarely used the Spa, but on the Magical Mystery Tour aka 2019/20 WC, we had more than a few sea days to explore and enjoy. Definitely worth checking out.

13 hours ago, philw1776 said:

On Iceland 3 July the 3 twosome tables close together and other such were not blocked off.

No every other table blocked off in World Cafe either. Same as pre COVID.

I guess the Bermuda cruise was lucky and Iceland was not!

We were so glad to have the empty tables between us ALL the time - since my wife has hearing issues.  It made it really nice to enjoy the restaurants!!!

Perhaps Iceland they figured was too full of passengers - we only had 377.