Non Alcoholic beverages

ronrick1943

Does anyone know if Silversea have non alcoholic Champagne, Wine and beer on the ship?  And if they do what brand that would be?  Thanks in advance.  I would think they do, but can’t find it anyplace on the website.  I hoping for the better brand, and if they service the not so great brand can you request a special brand to be on board.

1 minute ago, Gourmet Gal said:

And does anyone know if they offer any cocktails made with and of the Seedlip non-alcoholic distilled “spirits”? 

I did not request Seedlip, which I had special requested on Seabourn a few years ago.  (BTW, Seabourn procured all 3 of the Seedlip flavors without charge to me.)  Unfortunately, I did not like any of them.  This time I'm requesting some other brands that I read about recently in a magazine.  Will see if Silversea will come through for me...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

For example…other brands?

I requested the following:

Ghia:  aperitif (not the spritz)

Gnista:  2 flavors - Floral Wormwood and Barreled Oak

Proteau:  1 flavor - Ludlow Red

Optimist:  2 flavors - Bright and Fresh

I have no idea if any of the above is any good.  As mentioned, I had read about them in an online article, and they sound intriguing and promising.

I wonder if Silversea has any interesting non-alcoholic cocktails that are "modern and sophisticated" (whatever that means!) and are not sweet and fruity.  I've been corresponding with Seabourn Corporate, and their F&B corporate manager told me that they are testing and hoping to implement such a beverage program in the coming months.  Does Silversea (or any luxury cruise lines) already have this?

I know Regent non-alcoholic wine, champagne and beer. However the brand of wine isn pretty bad.  I would think Silverseas would have them beer for sure because so many companies are making it now.  I will be asking my TA not ask.  I’ve looked for the e-mail address for Silverseas but can’t find it.

Unless you ask, you never see it in the bar.  Most ships we’ve cruised have it, but the brand is important as you have cheap to nice wines and champagnes that are non alcoholic.  Some have 0.5 and some 0.0 alcohol in them.

Legally in the EU if a ‘wine’ doesn’t contain a minimum of 8.5% alcohol or has had 2% or more alcohol removed, it cannot be called a wine. And by definition since only France can produce Champagne, there cannot be non alcoholic Champagnes.

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Legally in the EU if a ‘wine’ doesn’t contain a minimum of 8.5% alcohol or has had 2% or more alcohol removed, it cannot be called a wine. And by definition since only France can produce Champagne….

Don’t tell the Russians…

4 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Legally in the EU if a ‘wine’ doesn’t contain a minimum of 8.5% alcohol or has had 2% or more alcohol removed, it cannot be called a wine. And by definition since only France can produce Champagne, there cannot be non alcoholic Champagnes.

No matter what you call it, it’s a non-alcoholic beverage that has the taste.  Some good and some not good.  The EU doesn’t set the standards for the world, Champagnes—only in France.😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

What is wrong with sparkling water, fruit juice or even flavored sparkling water? 

Well nothing, basically that is what true non-alcoholic beverages would be—some at a higher level, just depends on what a person wants………

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

What is wrong with sparkling water, fruit juice or even flavored sparkling water? 

Do you not like the taste of champagne? Do you drink it solely for its alcohol content? I'd guess not. So why question someone who doesn't or can't currently drink alcohol but wants the capture the taste and feel of champagne if there's a non-alcoholic version?

(I love champagne; I dislike sparkling water. If I were unable to drink alcoholic beverages for a medical/health reason, for instance, I would not consider sparkling water a desirable/suitable replacement for champagne!) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

Do you not like the taste of champagne? Do you drink it solely for its alcohol content? I'd guess not. So why question someone who doesn't or can't currently drink alcohol but wants the capture the taste and feel of champagne if there's a non-alcoholic version?

(I love champagne; I dislike sparkling water. If I were unable to drink alcoholic beverages for a medical/health reason, for instance, I would not consider sparkling water a desirable/suitable replacement for champagne!) 

The whole point is that there is no non-alcoholic champagne, it just doesn't exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

Thank you for this thoughtful reply.  That's exactly the point!

Personally I like champagne as well as sparkling wine, but there are times when I want to take a break from alcohol.  It would like nice to have a good substitute - sparkling apple juice doesn't cut it, as it is too sweet and fruity.  Of course sparkling water is no substitute either!

The market for non-alcoholic adult beverages is growing with lots of innovators.  Hopefully their products keep improving!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

The whole point is that there is no non-alcoholic champagne, it just doesn't exist.

If you're making this about "capital-C Champagne" as a marketing issue for France, that might be true. But there are indeed a variety of non-alcoholic sparkling wines. Here's one list of several

I'm not vouching for the excellence of any of them, as I've only consumed Champagne/sparkling wine of the alcoholic variety, but the "whole point here" was that someone asked if Silversea has non-alcoholic beverages, and someone else said (I think in jest) "why?" I was providing a reason why, which @sfvoyage amplified. 

3 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

Thank you for this thoughtful reply.  That's exactly the point!

Personally I like champagne as well as sparkling wine, but there are times when I want to take a break from alcohol.  It would like nice to have a good substitute - sparkling apple juice doesn't cut it, as it is too sweet and fruity.  Of course sparkling water is no substitute either!

The market for non-alcoholic adult beverages is growing with lots of innovators.  Hopefully their products keep improving!

There are so many opportunities to drink when on a cruise so I try to drink sparkling  water or other substitutions because more than one drink a day just isn’t healthy for me, especially on a long trip.  At home just a couple drinks a week is the max.  Good there are more new non-alcohol options.

• Like 1

There are a lot of people who can't have alcohol due to medications.  I can't drink because of the heart meds I have to take.  Alcohol triggers my a-fib, so I'm very grateful to be able to have alcohol-free options!

• Like 1