Nightly Whiskey Required!

WholeNewWorld

Hi there!  DH and I will be on AmaWaterways in August on both Magna and then Bella.  We have been eating a keto diet for almost a year now with great success (almost 100 pounds lost, most meds gone, and stable blood sugar!)- we would like to continue that while traveling.  Our nightly tradition includes a whiskey with either a diet 7Up or Sparkling Ice splashed in.  

Can anyone tell me if either diet 7Up or some form of Sparkling Ice drinks are available? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Congratulations on your amazing accomplishment!! DH and I are also on AMA this fall, and are also on a weight loss journey. We like club soda as mixer ourselves and expect to find that on board. I can't say for sure but kind of doubt diet 7Up will be available as I can't remember seeing it on any other cruise line. Fingers crossed!

I am now searching the internet for details of this amazing diet that includes a nightly tot of ‘the water of life’ but to more mundane things. 7Up is as I understand a form of lemonade so should be available at the bar, just ask they will soon get the hang of it and have it ready without asking if there anywhere as good as the Scenic staff. Have a great cruise.

I think that you are slightly more likely to find Diet Sprite (a Coca-Cola product) than Diet 7up (a Pepsi product), which I don't remember seeing in Europe much. But you might have to talk to the bar staff specifically, because usually the only diet drink available on board (as in most restaurants) is a diet cola. They might bring it on board for you.

That is correct: Sprite is kind of the equivalent of 7up in Europe, especially Germany. Unless it is a local product that is served, asking for a lemonade in a restaurant or pub will give you Sprite much of the time. I have never been served 7up. Ships get their supplies often through similar channels, so if you prefer diet 7up, it is best to ask if your ship will have it or bring it yourself.

Well done with the diet! 

notamermaid

Thank you guys for the answers.  Sprite vs 7Up doesn't matter to me..it's just easy for me to find diet 7up at home.  I will ask at the bar before we sail away and be ready to make a quick store run if needed.  

Thanks again!  

5 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I am now searching the internet for details of this amazing diet that includes a nightly tot of ‘the water of life’ but to more mundane things. 7Up is as I understand a form of lemonade so should be available at the bar, just ask they will soon get the hang of it and have it ready without asking if there anywhere as good as the Scenic staff. Have a great cruise.

This diet has been a life changing event for us both.  Very hard for the first month-but super easy after that!  Good luck!

• Like 1

Just in case, you can always purchase some and bring it onboard, storing it in your cabin fridge.  River cruise lines are very flexible as to what you can and can't do, and bringing your own alcohol and food is allowed.  It may have to be stored in the cabin, but you can bring a glass to the lounge or sun deck if you wish.  

Congrats on your achievements, sounds as if you have worked hard and deserve a great trip as a reward. 

• Like 2

In my experience with more premium forms of travel, if you specify what you like & dislike, your mini-fridge will magically be stocked  that way continuously.

(and often, based on your tastes, they'll introduce you to something you didn't even know you liked!)

On all of our previous 5 river cruises, across numerous lines, we've always order diet Coke.  Not sure if it's diet Coke, diet Pepsi, or whatever diet cola they served.  It's all good.  

So I think they should have diet 7Up or diet Sprite, or whatever clear diet brand onboard.

Congrats on the weight loss!  We're also on a low card diet this year, but only down 30 lbs or so.  But hoping to gain 10 of it back on our next 2 wk Viking Grand European cruise in a few months...

Edited by NavyCruiser

16 hours ago, WholeNewWorld said:

Hi there!  DH and I will be on AmaWaterways in August on both Magna and then Bella.  We have been eating a keto diet for almost a year now with great success (almost 100 pounds lost, most meds gone, and stable blood sugar!)- we would like to continue that while traveling.  Our nightly tradition includes a whiskey with either a diet 7Up or Sparkling Ice splashed in.  

Can anyone tell me if either diet 7Up or some form of Sparkling Ice drinks are available? 

Thanks!

Well done, congratulations! I can't say that I'm on a weight loss regimen but I do 'require' my nightly bourbon on the rocks. 😉 I'm looking forward to what Ama will have at the bar when we're in France next month. 

Paul

• 1 month later...

When traveling out of the U.S., I find that the only Sprite available is diet. When I had Montezuma’s revenge in Bolivia, I was really needing Sprite with sugar. It was not available, so I asked for ginger ale and was told it wasn’t available either. Then I saw some Canada Dry and said that was what I wanted. Evidently, that is what they call ginger ale in Bolivia.