Cafe or Marketplace Onboard Nieuw Amsterdam

akcruizer11

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

But at the end of the day I think it makes the trip more interesting to see how things can be done differently from one line to another. If they were all the same it would be a little boring (IMO).

Would "Here, Here" or "Amen" be appropriate to your post and the above comments?    😀    That's why I have sailed on different cruise lines.  Friends thought that I had lost my mind when I booked a Spring Break cruise on Carnival Freedom.  (It was an excellent cruise.) 

Many, if not all, of us comment (negatively) about the cruise experience inconsistency that has become "the norm" on HAL cruises as the fleet grew.  Yet, even that inconsistency offers some added interest to one's anticipation of a cruise.  What will the cruise be like this time?  

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

The baked apple isn’t overly appealing

Remove the apple's core.  Add some butter and cinnamon in that space, maybe some sugar.  Bake.  That's the way my Mother made it and Princess does a darn good job of replicating her Baked Apple.  

But, to each her/his own.  

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

As someone who regularly sails on a variety of different ships and cruise lines, let me share a piece of advice:  all cruise lines have differences, and it is much better going into a cruise on a new (to you) line when you consciously make an effort to set aside the comparisons between ships.

Some will have better MDR service. Some will have entertainment more to your taste. Some will do a better job with daily activities. You may like the decor better in one than another but hate the spa...  But at the end of the day I think it makes the trip more interesting to see how things can be done differently from one line to another. If they were all the same it would be a little boring (IMO).

So well said 👍 

On 7/20/2021 at 10:46 AM, seagarsmoker said:

Same experience on several Eurodam cruises. I LOL when I saw the photo of the food items. Knowing the most I have seen is only cookies or biscotti's. 

Your post made me laugh.  

What I do is visit the Lido desserts the night before and sneak a few to my stateroom, the selection there is pretty good, better than just "cookies and biscotti's".  The Lido also has the muffin selection out in the morning if that's more to your liking.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We have been on Celebrity, RCL, & Carnival & Princess - but mainly for the last several years just HAL (in search of the fabled/elusive...Free Laundry). Have not found a ship we did not like, and love exploring the differences - Sometimes you win - sometimes not so much - but it is all good. 

We have typically liked getting the snacks out of the Explorations Cafe - Not really sure why - but failed to go up there during the last NA cruise to Alaska - have to fix that oversight on the next Eurodam cruise in our December Eurodam Panama cruise.

We do not (or very seldom) imbibe in alcoholic drinks, and drink mostly water & Soda we bring aboard so we have never gotten any beverage package. With the change in HALs bring aboard policy, I am thinking about spending the big bucks and getting the Quench package - primarily for the water & interesting coffees (at the Explorations Cafe) - maybe  some (more or less healthy) smoothies. I typically get up several hours before DW gets up and we have breakfast in the room about 9 ish - so I go to the Lido and get coffee and small bites while waiting for her to get up and ready for breakfast. Just saw the Exploration Cafe Coffee list on another CC discussion. Might be real nice to get interesting coffees and breakfast bites up at the Explorations Cafe instead.

On 7/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, akcruizer11 said:

Hello!

We are on the August 14th Alaska sailing. This is our first time on HAL. My husband and son (14yr) love the Cafe's on RCI, Princess and Celebrity where you can go and get a coffee, tea or non alcoholic beverage and sit with a pastry or light snack. Is there anything similar on Nieuw Amsterdam?

And since I am asking a question anyway, if you get selected for an upgrade or even a paid upgrade, how are you notified? How far in advance does this usually happen from sailing?

To address you second question, the answer is "it depends".  HAL for several years now has aggressively promoting "paid upgrades" (upsells).  so free upgrades are less common.  However, this depends on the cabin category you are in (IMO).  The upsells normally begin 2-4 weeks prior to sailing and you need to move quickly on them as sometimes they sell out in a matter of minutes.  It seems that HAL starts with the higher priced cabins and works it way down the list from there.

One thing to consider on upsells - getting a call or email for one depends on how you booked your cruise.  If you booked directly from HAL you get an email from them offering the upsell and you have to call a specific number they provide.  If you booked through a TA, the offer goes to them, they have to contact you, then the TA has to call HAL back to book it.  Some TAs are better and this than others and I have heard that some of the larger TAs do not even want to bother with upsells.

You should watch the HAL message board for the many discussions of how upsells and upgrades work on HAL.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, shiner6 said:

Oh my! I certainly hope that HAL has something equal to Princess!  We have never sailed on HAL before but we convinced our extended family to take this Alaskan cruise on HAL, thinking it would be at least on par with Princess.

You won't be disappointed. Holland America IS on par with Princess, if not better.

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

The upsells normally begin 2-4 weeks prior to sailing

This has been my experience.  Offered a well priced upsell from a standard veranda stateroom to a Signature Suite in a good location.  Accepted it.  48 hours before sailing, I was offered the choice of two Neptune Suites at a very good price.  Looked at the location of both and turned the offer down.  Reflecting on this decision for a few more minutes, I called my TA back and said I would accept the offer.  Between the time of the offer and my acceptance--which was less than 20 minutes-- one of the two Suites was gone.  I did snag the other one.  

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

If you booked through a TA, the offer goes to them, they have to contact you, then the TA has to call HAL back to book it.

That was my experience.  One more reason to have a really good travel agent who wants to properly service their clients.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

This has been my experience.  Offered a well priced upsell from a standard veranda stateroom to a Signature Suite in a good location.  Accepted it.  48 hours before sailing, I was offered the choice of two Neptune Suites at a very good price.  Looked at the location of both and turned the offer down.  Reflecting on this decision for a few more minutes, I called my TA back and said I would accept the offer.  Between the time of the offer and my acceptance--which was less than 20 minutes-- one of the two Suites was gone.  I did snag the other one.  

That was my experience.  One more reason to have a really good travel agent who wants to properly service their clients.  

There is still that middle layer between you and hal so it makes little difference.  It’s still going to take a little more time unless your ta has connections to get advance “warning” of upsells.

• Like 1

We frequently cruise on Celebrity and love the food/snack choices in Cafe al Bacio. However, while we enjoy this Celebrity venue, we do not pick a cruise based on this option.  Btw, we love both lines and agree that HAL could step up it’s game in the Exploration Cafe.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:53 AM, kazu said:

Wow, that’s sad to hear.  My last cruise BC (before covid) was on the Prinsendam and it’s Java cafe has loads of goodies.  Always people there munching and drinking away 🙂.  Sorry that time has passed 😔 

I miss the Prinsendam so much! The Java was my favorite place. I didn’t realize the pastries in Exploration were free though - good to know!