Have you had success installing Medallionclass app on an android phone using APK

hpeabody

So sorry to start another thread about the app, but this is a specific question.

I am trying to resist being forced to buy a new phone because I need 1 app as I have had my phone not quite 2 years and is still quite viable for my basic needs.

My Samsung phone has Android 7, so NO CAN INSTALL from the Play Store.  I deleted the very very old version I did have as was recommended (Before I found out my android version is now not compatible)  There is no previous version offered as an alternate on the Play Store.  It was suggested that I consider installing Medallionclass App via APK method (3rd party download outside of the Play Store)  I've been trying, but so far unsuccessful.  I get as far as clicking install, then shortly after I get a message something like "the app had a problem parsing" so I click OK to remove the message.  The screen still shows installing with the loading circle going round and round.  It stays stuck at that and the Medallionclass App does not install.

Have you been successful installing the Medallionclass App on a phone with Android7 via APK?   Or ...how were you able to install it?  Mainly wondering if it is even impossible or have they made it impossible.  I did email the appropriate Carnival email address with no response after more than a week and the phone people really do not help with this kind of thing.

2 hours ago, hpeabody said:

So sorry to start another thread about the app, but this is a specific question.

I am trying to resist being forced to buy a new phone because I need 1 app as I have had my phone not quite 2 years and is still quite viable for my basic needs.

My Samsung phone has Android 7, so NO CAN INSTALL from the Play Store.  I deleted the very very old version I did have as was recommended (Before I found out my android version is now not compatible)  There is no previous version offered as an alternate on the Play Store.  It was suggested that I consider installing Medallionclass App via APK method (3rd party download outside of the Play Store)  I've been trying, but so far unsuccessful.  I get as far as clicking install, then shortly after I get a message something like "the app had a problem parsing" so I click OK to remove the message.  The screen still shows installing with the loading circle going round and round.  It stays stuck at that and the Medallionclass App does not install.

Have you been successful installing the Medallionclass App on a phone with Android7 via APK?   Or ...how were you able to install it?  Mainly wondering if it is even impossible or have they made it impossible.  I did email the appropriate Carnival email address with no response after more than a week and the phone people really do not help with this kind of thing.

I suspect that sideloading this APK on Android 7 won't work since the app is, sadly, locked to working with Android 8 and above. I even tried loading the app off of the Play Store under emulation onto Android 10 and that didn't work either, the app is pretty sensitive to environment. How were you able to get the APK file, I'd like to try and see if I can install it via an emulator or, worst case, via the Android SDK.

BTW, the parsing message is sometimes related to not having "Install From Unknown Sources" turned on

• Thanks 1

@lx200gps Thank you for understanding my question and your reply.  I got the medallionclass app from apkpure just by searching medallionclass.  Actually after hours of trying I just got it to install.  But........ I think I understand what you mean about being locked to version 8 and above.  Although it is installed and I was able to log in etc, it appears to be the older version, although the version number is the current version number and date.  It has some features that are perhaps usable but this is not going to get me ready for boarding the ship.  It looks nothing like what I see on my iPad or what folks talk about, like lanes and dining and boarding time slots.  This has none of that.  I do not want to have to walk around the ship with my iPad all the time, phone would be much easier.  Feeling defeated at the moment.

Edited by hpeabody

39 minutes ago, hpeabody said:

Feeling defeated at the moment.

Read your two posts in this thread and I sympathize with your pain. 

It puzzles me, however, that a Samsung phone, less than two years old, is only supporting Android O/S version 7.  Ver 7 came out in Aug, 2016, and Ver 8 came out in Aug 2017.  That is virtually 4 years ago - for Ver 8.  I guess Ver 12 will be out very soon.

5 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I suspect that sideloading this APK on Android 7 won't work since the app is, sadly, locked to working with Android 8 and above. I even tried loading the app off of the Play Store under emulation onto Android 10 and that didn't work either, the app is pretty sensitive to environment. How were you able to get the APK file, I'd like to try and see if I can install it via an emulator or, worst case, via the Android SDK.

BTW, the parsing message is sometimes related to not having "Install From Unknown Sources" turned on

This is my question as well. While I have installed a number of apps in this manner over the years I don't know where one would find the MedallionClass App installable in this manner.

I also agree that having "install from unknown sources" would need to be enabled to even try if one could find the file to try the install. As for the SDK... Most folks would be best advised not to go there unless they have a fairly good understanding of what they are doing. (I also never try to steer folks to the internal menus for even simply tasks if I'm not pretty sure they won't brick the phone while messing around.)

Note: While I am not a "phone guy" I have messed around with this stuff enough to know that it's best to be careful. I also fiddle in the Windows Registry but never advise others to do so. If I do and they trash the box they will blame me rather than their own "fiddling around".

Edited by Thrak

15 hours ago, lx200gps said:

I have no personal experience with the integrity of this site:

https://m.apkpure.com/medallionclass/com.carnival.gxi.ocean.compass.OceanCompass/versions

Buyer beware. 

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.

Your mileage may vary.

Professional driver on closed course.

Enable unknown sources.

etc

I usually use apkmirror, but nada

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Note: While I am not a "phone guy" I have messed around with this stuff enough to know that it's best to be careful. I also fiddle in the Windows Registry but never advise others to do so. If I do and they trash the box they will blame me rather than their own "fiddling around".

I was a phone guy and a sysadmin, so I am fairly aggressive with "fiddling around", but I also have 5 daily image backups available at all times and even more image backups on external hard drives and some offsite. I also have alternate boot drives running Linux available. If I screw up, I *KNOW* that I can go back to a working position in 15 minutes or less. 

I never tell folks to "fiddle around". I end up "owning" the support on that machine if I do. I was paid to do that for over 30 years,  not going to start doing it for free now.