DCL platinum looking seriously at NCL.

tammymacb

We're currently booked on the 9 night Greek Isles Cruise on the Disney Magic in June of 2022. Prior to Disney releasing their COVID restrictions, I was already looking at a similar sailing with NCL. (10 night Greek Isles). The price is much better, it has an extra day, and there are a lot of current add ons. Now that DCL has posted their restrictions (they're not requiring COVID vaccinations- our whole party is vaccinated), I'm looking even harder at NCL. I don't want to wear masks indoors, have to make appointments for the pool etc. (And I'm an ER nurse, I know things can change, but I'd like to be on an open ship that's vaccinated than a restricted ship because they aren't required). I'd like to add that we're a group of adults 50s and 60s but active, we travel often. My oldest daughter will be joining us along with my granddaughter (as long as vaccines are approved for her age group before sailing, she'll be vaccinated). 

The thing is I know NOTHING about NCL. I know that the Escape is new and huge. It seems to have some fun things to do onboard, but we'll be busy off the ship. The "deal" NCL is currently offering includes free specialty dining. Is that for a certain number of nights, or can we eat in specialty restaurants every night? I'm a pretty basic drinker (and a light drinker at that) but will there be any surprises to the "free beverage" package?

And finally, I'd love some advice on the rooms. I've done everything from a window room on DCL to their club level. I'd probably do a balcony on this trip. I considered a spa balcony but don't know that we'd use it enough with this itinerary. I'd love any tips. Also, (last question for now) do they offer single rooms on the escape? One of our party. is currently paying double occupancy on the Magic and that would be a huge cost saver.

Thanks!

1.  Dining package - It is a limited number of days, I think on a 10 day you get 3 meals.

2.  Drink package - specialty coffee is not included, nor is bottled water.  Any alcohol over 15 dollars you get charged the overage.

3.  For your solo traveler have them look at studio rooms, they are for solos, and have their own private area.

Welcome.

Pro-tip:    Click on the offer you are looking at on NCL.com.   On the next page, scroll down to the bottom, click on Terms and Conditions.   You will find out everything you need to know about each thing being offered.

5 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Welcome.

Pro-tip:    Click on the offer you are looking at on NCL.com.   On the next page, scroll down to the bottom, click on Terms and Conditions.   You will find out everything you need to know about each thing being offered.

Thank you. I read through everything and I chatted with an NCL agent. The airfare seems to be a steal which makes me super curious..

58 minutes ago, tammymacb said:

Thank you. I read through everything and I chatted with an NCL agent. The airfare seems to be a steal which makes me super curious..

put a deposit down, worst case you get a refund of 250 a room, or whatever it is for a non-haven room.  I know some deals you can put down a deposit for like $100 on each room.

1 hour ago, tammymacb said:

There is a fairly recent discussion topic about the airfare deal.  It would be worth reading if you are considering that.

Hi, I have done a Disney Cruise and an NCL cruise on a big ship.  Food was better on Disney regular dining compared to NCL.  I prefer NCL becasue it is not so imersed in Disneyania...  Their shows are not rehashes of Disney shows but Broadway shows.  There is more variety to entertainment on NCL.  I would say at least give it a try.  

2 hours ago, tammymacb said:

Thank you. I nee to look at that. I doubt I spend that much a day on drinks. It's helpful to know. 

If you're having two or more drinks a day, you'll be saving money having the included drinks package, even after gratutities.

HELP on dining decisions:

Cruise Food & Dining | Cruise Ship Buffets | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)

More help on Specialty Dining - Beverage Packages:

Onboard Packages (ncl.com)

Specialty Dining:

Cruise Dining Packages | Bon Voyage Gifts | Norwegian Cruise Line (ncl.com)