Friends of Bill W/AA meetings

Trent1984

2 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Carnival has mocktails on their bar menus. We've ordered them for our kids several times.  And most mixed drinks can be had virgin.

Agreed, but I was thinking of more extensive menus for each bar. No big deal, maybe a paper one for those interested.

It can be intimidating to some to order something when they have no idea what they're asking for instead of just falling back on old bad habits, because it was just easier

5 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

It can be intimidating to some to order something when they have no idea what they're asking for instead of just falling back on old bad habits, because it was just easier

I know that feeling all too well. Can't tell you how many times I've ordered a jack and coke at a bar over the years because it is the first thing I can think of that every bar has, even though I don't actually like whiskey drinks. Now days I just order a Margarita or Amaretto Sour, but god forbid they be out of sweet and sour mix... Uh Jack and Coke 😣

Before I quit drinking and before the internet, I used to go to the library to look at cruise planning books and I'd always see sample programs with "Friends of Bill W" meetings. I thought "man, that guy must be rich and he has so many friends."

Been Bill's friend now for 23 years and I've attended meetings on various cruise lines. I learned to do my time dining if I want to make a meeting because they always seem to schedule meetings when I should be at dinner or getting ready.        As far as non alcoholic drinks go, tonic and lime or a virgin pina colada if I want something sweet. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, EngIceDave said:

This reminds me that it would be very nice is the cruise lines would provide a non-alcoholic drink menu at the bars.

I don't want to always drink a pepsi, water or juice, but I am also quite intimidated to walk up to a bar and explain I want something non-alcohol, sort of fruity, but not too fruity with a little spice....WHAT A PITA!!

Menu would be nice

I agree. My cruise last month I found out alcohol doesn't mix well with new medication I'm taking. Unfortunately we were cruising with another couple, the next day I apologized to them for my appalling behavior the night before. No more alcohol for me.

I posted a question here a couple of weeks ago asking if there were any non-alcohol drinks besides water and soda, no responses. One time several years ago I saw a drinks menu in a bar on ship that had one page with non-alcoholic drinks listed. I've never seen it again.

Cruise next month I'll try the 3rd floor atrium bar at a slow time. It seems to have the best, most approachable bartenders and I'll ask one of them.

Kudos to all of you who have found help through AA. It's a struggle that so many never overcome.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 3:13 PM, Meant2bebride2017 said:

I am planning a first cousin cruise on the legend leaving out of the port of Baltimore on 4/30/2023 . I would like to know will there be AA meeting on this ship for my group to attend if need too.

You will see them listed as Friends of Bill W, and there should be a listing in your Fun Times each day. If you search around, sometimes people post copies of the Fun Times on Cruise Critic and you can get an idea of where things are ahead of time. I saw a Fun Times post for the Legend from two years ago, and the meetings were at 5 pm in the chapel back then. Most of the Fun Times that I have seen for other ships have the Friends of Bill gatherings in the library.

You might also post on the Friends of Bill W page, which is under the Friends of Cruise Critic section. People might not post on your thread, but some Friends of Bill might read it and show up. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/735-friends-of-bill-w/

I don't drink (gives me heartburn) but I order lots of different things at the bar.  I haven't been to one that won't make you a mocktail.  I like no-jitos (a mojito without the rum), Virgin Marys (Blood Mary, no vodka), and they seem to be able to make all frozen drinks without the rum - pina coladas, daquris of every flavor.  I also like club soda with various juices mixed in, like pineapple juice or Rose lime juice.  About every other bar also seems to have a coffee machine since they can make after dinner coffee drinks.

All I can do is share my experience but it's gotten me this far 🙂  

My advice, for someone newly sober, based on my experience......  go to the meeting the first day just to meet some people, even if it's just for a short time.  It's nice to see them around the ship.   Second.... Don't hang out in the bars. You have no business in a bar, period.   Last, don't drink mock cocktails.  You don't need them and you are just reinforcing the 'drinking' thought process.  And lastly, if you feel uncomfortable in a situation, leave.  Even at 27 years, 364 days sober I still follow this advice....

Have fun, sober crusting is fun and cheaper!! lol

• Like 5

It's probably mostly sugar and ice, but they used to serve a "Mango Madness" at most of the bars and in the comedy club.  Just emphasize to the waiter or barkeep no alcohol to avoid any mixup.

I've seen mtgs with anywhere from 2 to 15 attendees, and on a few occasions I've sailed unknowingly with a partial sober charter group on board of maybe 75.  There have been times when only 1 person showed up.

I'll usually bring a copy of a Grapevine magazine, someone will have a Big Book, and the message will be carried. I went on my very first cruise in 2003 at 19 yrs sober and still enjoy the fellowship that mtgs bring.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 1/15/2023 at 8:30 PM, Kram57 said:

Going on a cruise out of Tampa on 01/28/23 hoping there will some meetings on board this is my second sober cruise. On Norwegian  11 days

I am sure you will find some other Friends of Bill. For some reason, every time I have posted about looking for Friends of Bill on an upcoming cruise, they have shown up. 🙂

• 1 year later...

There are lots of meetings on a cruise, and as with any other meeting, you get all degrees of sobriety, some who care and others who are white-knuckle. You only have to listen to what you want and just remember, "We stay sober, and I get drunk." AA is a people program, so do not let anyone spoil it for you. Our primary purpose is to help the newcomer stay sober. I am 25 years Sober and run a ZOOM meeting five days per week. and we have been going strong for the past five years. and I do this to help others, which allows me to remain sober and happy,  

• Like 2