Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, nonno25 said:

I have tried different devices, deleted and reloaded the app and tried to log in as my wife. Nothing works!

Based on posts from people who work in IT many of them believe it’s a Princess database problem which could explain your problem…it’s not primarily the app but a problem with their database.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 3/12/2022 at 3:21 PM, Steelers36 said:

No, you do not HAVE to make a res for each day individually  In fact, whatever small chance you have to get same table throughout the voyage is not there when booking each night individually. 

Book the entire voyage.  Then, use the individual night option to review what you have.  Just scroll thru the days at the top of the screen and tap on any one to confirm what is booked.  You can do an override on individual nights afterwards for SD reservations or perhaps you know you are doing a buffet night.  It frees up your table for someone else for that day.

I tried that. I booked the first day/time. When I go back to check the time (as described - "tap the day at the top of the screen")...the first day, I get a message that I may be double-booking. Subsequent days show nothing.

To add to my mystification - this is a B2B and the booking # that shows at the top where you can link others to the booking is the # for the second cruise. Is that because I booked the 2nd cruise first?

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I tried that. I booked the first day/time. When I go back to check the time (as described - "tap the day at the top of the screen")...the first day, I get a message that I may be double-booking. Subsequent days show nothing.

To add to my mystification - this is a B2B and the booking # that shows at the top where you can link others to the booking is the # for the second cruise. Is that because I booked the 2nd cruise first?

You wrote that you booked the first day/time.  That is a single day res and not the whole voyage.  Once there is a res on a day, if you are in that day and tap on "Add Reservation", you are warned about double booking.  If you do make another booking, it will replace what you have.

Have you also done "Reserve for the same time each day" option on the main DMW screen?  That should be placing a booking for all nights - as long as picking a time with availability.

I have had the same thing with our B2B2B.  I have seen the third voyage booking code listed as the one to share with friends and currently it shows the second one.  I suspect it changed because our third segment was recently re-booked and has not been fully linked to the others in POLAR.  Just a guess.  IDK why MC App does not show the first booking code in a B2B series.  Friends could link you with the first booking code - it is what I used to link our friends with us in MC App.

21 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Have you also done "Reserve for the same time each day" option on the main DMW screen?  That should be placing a booking for all nights - as long as picking a time with availability.

I "spoke" in error...that's the one I used. I'll check a subsequent day & see if it tells me I will be changing my res. 

Thanks.

55 minutes ago, wp bob said:

without reading through 30 pages, is there a way to get a share table. there are 3 of us and I keep getting a private table each time. We would occasionally like a share.

I am surprised to read you are not seeing the sharing a table option in DMW.  It is far more likely to not see Private table at many time periods. 

Are you three in one cabin or two cabins?  If >1 cabin, then add the other party as a Travel Companion and you book dining as a group.

WE added our friends booking as "travel companions", then was able to add them to our dinner reservations at a shared table for our week long cruise.   Now if I could just get the ap to allow me to book the steak house using by specialty dining voucher and not charge my credit card......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, konatyme said:

I managed to get dining reservations at the same time each day for our 21-day Med. cruise, but there was no choice for dining room or for sharing a table--only "private table" was shown.

I am booked for July, Alaska

I could book share a table up to 6:40,anything past that time did not have share as an option.

• Thanks 1

We sail May 2nd and have done absolutely nothing in regard to booking dining times. We simply don't have a clue what we will actually want to do in terms of dining. In "normal" times we would have booked anytime dining or, if our friends from Canada had a set dining time, may well have booked the same time. As it is, we feel a bit clueless and it seems odd the way they have set things up now.

We’re on an April 2 sailing.  We’ve booked a couple of specialty dining reservations.  Other than that, we’re still doing “Anytime Dining”.

Although you can make nightly reservations, by all accounts it isn’t necessary.  You may need to wait for a table, but we don’t usually dine during the busy hours (pre-show) anyway.

Most reports have indicated maybe a 5 minute wait if you don’t have a table reserved.  Might be more now that occupant levels are higher.  Either way, I’ll be on vacation time, so people watching, or playing with my daughter for 10 minutes until a table is ready won’t be an issue.

1 hour ago, WAvoyager said:

We’re on an April 2 sailing.  We’ve booked a couple of specialty dining reservations.  Other than that, we’re still doing “Anytime Dining”.

Although you can make nightly reservations, by all accounts it isn’t necessary.  You may need to wait for a table, but we don’t usually dine during the busy hours (pre-show) anyway.

Most reports have indicated maybe a 5 minute wait if you don’t have a table reserved.  Might be more now that occupant levels are higher.  Either way, I’ll be on vacation time, so people watching, or playing with my daughter for 10 minutes until a table is ready won’t be an issue.

This is kind of what we were thinking. If we are "forced" to have another glass of wine in Vines I think we can probably handle the stress. I've added another couple's booking number to our settings as travel companions in the app so we will be able to book a meal or two with them if things work out. I'm not sure when we will want to do the included specialty dining. We may end up waiting until we are on the ship to decide but that does entail the possibility that the evening we want won't be available. The last time I waited too long and had to choose a different evening. Ah, well. It's really no big deal about that either. We aren't real impressed with the specialty dining and always find it to be way too much food anyway.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

This is kind of what we were thinking. If we are "forced" to have another glass of wine in Vines I think we can probably handle the stress. I've added another couple's booking number to our settings as travel companions in the app so we will be able to book a meal or two with them if things work out. I'm not sure when we will want to do the included specialty dining. We may end up waiting until we are on the ship to decide but that does entail the possibility that the evening we want won't be available. The last time I waited too long and had to choose a different evening. Ah, well. It's really no big deal about that either. We aren't real impressed with the specialty dining and always find it to be way too much food anyway.

Seems totally a sensible approach.  

A cruise,  or indeed any holiday seems to me to me about not having to clock watch. Fretting over not being able to pre-book a table at precisely 18:10, 12 months in advance, for the entire cruise,  defeats the object of having a relaxed, go with the flow,  holiday.

• Like 1

We are friends and family a total of 11 of us will be sailing the Discovery, is there a table for 11 or it will be split in 2 tables. We don't mind to put in extra chair in a table for 10 if we have to.

Second question, when reserve a table in the app, do I select a private table for 2 of us, is this meant private for our group 11 people, or I should select dining with guests. (of course we don't want to dine with strangers due to Covid). All our booking are link.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, PC168 said:

We are friends and family a total of 11 of us will be sailing the Discovery, is there a table for 11 or it will be split in 2 tables. We don't mind to put in extra chair in a table for 10 if we have to.

Second question, when reserve a table in the app, do I select a private table for 2 of us, is this meant private for our group 11 people, or I should select dining with guests. (of course we don't want to dine with strangers due to Covid). All our booking are link.

Thanks.

You need to add all the others by entering their Booking numbers in MC App as Travel Companions and then build a dining party of everyone (just one person does this) and then book for the entire group.  There won't likely be any size >10 in DMW, so try it with 10 only.  You need to speak with DR mgmt on Day 1 and discuss your needs.  You didn't mention whether you plan to book various times each day or whether you want the same time for full voyage (those are main options in DMW).  If you only book the two of you in your cabin, the rest are on their own and individual bookings are never going to end up altogether at one table.

Now, everyone on the ship is vaccinated and I do understand a traveling group wanting to dine together, but I fail to see how your group will be any safer together at dinner than another large table of 10+.  

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You need to add all the others by entering their Booking numbers in MC App as Travel Companions and then build a dining party of everyone (just one person does this) and then book for the entire group.  There won't likely be any size >10 in DMW, so try it with 10 only.  You need to speak with DR mgmt on Day 1 and discuss your needs.  You didn't mention whether you plan to book various times each day or whether you want the same time for full voyage (those are main options in DMW).  If you only book the two of you in your cabin, the rest are on their own and individual bookings are never going to end up altogether at one table.

Now, everyone on the ship is vaccinated and I do understand a traveling group wanting to dine together, but I fail to see how your group will be any safer together at dinner than another large table of 10+.  

Thanks.

There is a new App update for the Medallion.  Try updating your app.  It is only 4 days ago that this update was implemented.  I was unable to make a GC reservation before I updated my Medallion.  I have a free coupon.  It still charged me.  I will deal with eliminating the charge once I am onboard.

6 hours ago, Rick&Jenny said:

There is a new App update for the Medallion.  Try updating your app.  It is only 4 days ago that this update was implemented.  I was unable to make a GC reservation before I updated my Medallion.  I have a free coupon.  It still charged me.  I will deal with eliminating the charge once I am onboard.

Are talking about Apple or Android?  There has not been an Android update in past 4 days.  Current release level is 3.0.99687 for Android.

• Like 1

In trying to book DMW reservations for 25th August British Isles cruise.  The only table for 2 Iis 20.40 which is far too late.  I’ve seen there is an Apple app update.  When I try to delete the existing app it warns me all data will be lost.  Does that mean I’ll lose all my dining reservations for my cruise next week?  Thanks.

No need to delete your Medallion App.  Go to the Apple App store. Search for the Medallion app. Your app should show up..Find where it says update.  Do not delete.  It maybe too early for the Medallion to respond to your request.

1 hour ago, Rick&Jenny said:

No need to delete your Medallion App.  Go to the Apple App store. Search for the Medallion app. Your app should show up..Find where it says update.  Do not delete.  It maybe too early for the Medallion to respond to your request.

Thanks,   It didn’t make any difference to the dining availability but at least I’m up to date.  Hopefully they’ll add extra dining slots later.

6 hours ago, Tracyken said:

In trying to book DMW reservations for 25th August British Isles cruise.  The only table for 2 Iis 20.40 which is far too late.  I’ve seen there is an Apple app update.  When I try to delete the existing app it warns me all data will be lost.  Does that mean I’ll lose all my dining reservations for my cruise next week?  Thanks.

Your info is stored on a server, not in the app.😉

• Like 2