Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

23 minutes ago, HiCCCs said:

YIKES!!!!!  That sounds more like being in a grocery store these days than being on a cruise ship. On our last cruise we had one of the finest and most attentive waiters. It was a real pleasure to see him and to be served and looked after by him. Clone him!!!!

I forgot the punchline from the dinner.  After a little back-and-forth, my husband became exasperated and said "Do you want me to go up to the buffet and get some?  I know they have Chardonnay there".  One of the other servers came by and saved the day.  The poor girl ... there was no language issue, but she obviously had received about ten minutes training.  Like you, we've had such great restaurant staff ... and they're so happy to have us back, like joining the family for dinner.  I've always said that the crew makes up 85% of the reason cruises are so enjoyable.

• Like 1

We don't eat meat or shellfish. I've seen the delicious Sabatini's menus and that's cool. We've made reservations for our forthcoming trip. Question is for the Crown grill. Do they have straight-on fish mains? (without the shellfish add-ins?). We have the Premiere and two specialty dinners. Would love to try Crown if they have fish. Advice, anyone? Or are we better off with Sabatini's both evenings?

15 minutes ago, Barbara B said:

We don't eat meat or shellfish. I've seen the delicious Sabatini's menus and that's cool. We've made reservations for our forthcoming trip. Question is for the Crown grill. Do they have straight-on fish mains? (without the shellfish add-ins?). We have the Premiere and two specialty dinners. Would love to try Crown if they have fish. Advice, anyone? Or are we better off with Sabatini's both evenings?

Last time we went I believe I saw a couple of Fish dishes.  My DD doesn't eat meat but I believe she was able to find what she liked to eat.

43 minutes ago, Barbara B said:

From the sample menu on Princess's website:

Sea scallops, salmon caviar

Chilean sea bass with prawns (you could eschew the prawns)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barbara B said:

We prefer Sabatini’s but if you opt for Crown Grill there has always been a sea bass main in the past

• Like 2

On the Emerald Princess (boarding on Saturday 7-1), the medallion app shows 2 new eateries on deck 15 aft, Planks BBQ (starboard) and Steamers Seafood (port). However the website doesn't doesn't shows those on the deck plans and doesn't mention them on the Food & Dining page.

Has anyone seen if these eateries really exist and are open yet?

9 minutes ago, Yukonjake said:

On the Emerald Princess (boarding on Saturday 7-1), the medallion app shows 2 new eateries on deck 15 aft, Planks BBQ (starboard) and Steamers Seafood (port). However the website doesn't doesn't shows those on the deck plans and doesn't mention them on the Food & Dining page.

Those would not be new they did exist pre pandemic but I have not see them offered since. They were more like ppp ups than stand alone restaurants 

31 minutes ago, Yukonjake said:

Probably just the App.  They aren’t even shown as restaurants on any of the ships.

Princess restaurant guide.

I’ve not seen them open since the restart.

These are the "extra" areas at the back of the buffet. We never ate at Planks or Steamers but we did eat in those venues at breakfast and lunch. Both of those time slots were included in the fare. If they are actually going to "re-open" the areas for breakfast and lunch it would be great. Breakfast in that area was still a buffet but you could get made-to-order omelets and cooked-to-order fried eggs. It was where we always ate breakfast if using the buffet. At lunch there were things like a Ramen bar and a burrito bar. We ate there several times for lunch.

Note: When we had these venues available it was back in 2018 on Caribbean Princess. I'm hoping that Princess does indeed start up these areas again.

On 5/6/2023 at 10:05 PM, Steelers36 said:

Correct - no guarantee of that at all.  However, ask DR Mgmt to lock you into the same table and you should have great chance of success.

This is a minor quibble, we just returned from Regal British Isles, we were seated at a table for two and the 2 top by the windows was vacant. I asked if we could sit there and was told it was reserved. No one turned up for that table. On another night window 2 top was open we were seated elsewhere. After ten minutes a couple came in and sat at the window table. Similarly we were standing in line for a reservation and there was a line for no-reservation, several groups walked past, I assume for their 'reserved' table.

We were always seated quickly, and tables were fine, so no big deal. I did find the 'reserved' table situation to be irritating. It probably makes things easier for Princess since they don't have to deal with 'reserved' parties.

Where are Premium Desserts offered? This is an observation, not a complaint, we were on Plus but were never asked about the Premium dessert, we were happy with dessert offerings in MDR and often just skip dessert. Also, BTW I now see it is 2 Premium Desserts per day - I thought it was per cruise.

25 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Where are Premium Desserts offered? This is an observation, not a complaint, we were on Plus but were never asked about the Premium dessert, we were happy with dessert offerings in MDR and often just skip dessert. Also, BTW I now see it is 2 Premium Desserts per day - I thought it was per cruise.

Should have them at Gelato on deck 5.

Swirls on Lido deck.  Not sure where else.  

48 minutes ago, memoak said:

Not MDR. On Royal class there is a separate area across from. IC

OK, my misunderstanding, just curiosity, we often do not have dessert, I had expected MDR to tell us about them.

6 hours ago, Tedferg said:

This is a minor quibble, we just returned from Regal British Isles, we were seated at a table for two and the 2 top by the windows was vacant. I asked if we could sit there and was told it was reserved. No one turned up for that table. On another night window 2 top was open we were seated elsewhere. After ten minutes a couple came in and sat at the window table. Similarly we were standing in line for a reservation and there was a line for no-reservation, several groups walked past, I assume for their 'reserved' table.

We were always seated quickly, and tables were fine, so no big deal. I did find the 'reserved' table situation to be irritating. It probably makes things easier for Princess since they don't have to deal with 'reserved' parties.

Sounds like the TD experience to me.

That time you saw the 2-top unused, I wonder if the guests neglected to inform they had other plans.  But to be empty for your entire service doesn't make sense to me.

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

OK, my misunderstanding, just curiosity, we often do not have dessert, I had expected MDR to tell us about them.

These monstrosities are not at all like a normal dessert. I'm not at all surprised they aren't offered in MDR as they probably have as many calories as the average dinner without dessert. This fall we have a 14 day, followed by a 4 day, followed by another 14 day. Due to re-booking the last 2 segments for massive savings we have the "new" Plus fare on those two segments. The only things they offer differently from our original bookings (still in effect for the first segment as it didn't go down at all) is the stupid 2 free wow-wow desserts per person per day, the exercise classes, and the juice bar. I can easily live without those items. The only one I "might" be tempted to try is the juice bar. The desserts are likely more calories each than I normally eat in an entire day. (Recently dropped 30 lbs. 😁) and I don't do exercise. (Yes, I know it's good for me but I'm broken and most exercise turns me from "ow, ow, ow" to invalid status.)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tedferg said:

It is on the website, that they are available at Gelato area and Swirls or Coffee and Cones, depending on the ship.

I’ve only seen a handful of people try them over the cruises we’ve been on.

My wife and I are Platinum on Princess and within 34 days of sailing on the Caribbean Princess. Yesterday, the App let us book 1 specialty dining reservation (for the first night), using our package dining credits. However, no additional $0 cost reservations could be made, since then. Is it supposed to work that way (where you have to wait until you are on board to make the second (credit/no-pay) reservation, in the new system? It has been about 5 years since we last sailed on Princess and now we have 2 premium package sailings ahead in the next few months.

On 6/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, Tedferg said:

Recently off the Emerald & had asked Guest Services where to get more info on the add items on the PLUS. The Premium Deserts are available at Coffee & Cones on Lido Deck 15. They are fancy pre-made ice cream sundaes. 

1 hour ago, ClassyApplePie said:

Recently off the Emerald & had asked Guest Services where to get more info on the add items on the PLUS. The Premium Deserts are available at Coffee & Cones on Lido Deck 15. They are fancy pre-made ice cream sundaes. 

Only partially pre-made.  The sundae cups are dipped/rolled in chocolate and sprinkles or marshmallows or whatever is specific to that dessert, and then stored in a fridge.  When ordered they add the gelato, toppings, and sauces.  And booze if you want it.

I honestly don’t understand the aggressive negativity some people display about these.  They’re a fancy sundae.  They have some good toppings (and some not so good), and fun extras - my daughter enjoyed the lollipop that came with ours.

Are they overkill?  Yes.  But so much of a vacation often is.  I find these much less wasteful (and offensive) than some of the “kitchen sink” sundaes you’d find at many ice cream parlors.  Like Farrells - anyone remember them?  Their huge specialty sundaes were never more than half eaten that I can remember.  Or Felton’s Creamery in the SF Bay Area.  But I still fondly remember going to both as a kid.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NorthWestPassage said:

My wife and I are Platinum on Princess and within 34 days of sailing on the Caribbean Princess. Yesterday, the App let us book 1 specialty dining reservation (for the first night), using our package dining credits. However, no additional $0 cost reservations could be made, since then. Is it supposed to work that way (where you have to wait until you are on board to make the second (credit/no-pay) reservation, in the new system? It has been about 5 years since we last sailed on Princess and now we have 2 premium package sailings ahead in the next few months.

I think that I've read here that you book the CR second res and after a few days the charge is reversed.  Maybe.  Might be worth trying if you're after a popular time/date.  If it doesn't work the way I think it will, you can always cancel and they'll refund to your CC ... at least they should.  My experience booking dining on Princess was 50/50, some of the reservations stuck, others were all scrambled up and had to be re-done, often several times.

I booked on sky princess for an October cruise to the Canary Islands. I’d like to book the main dining room for an early sitting every night How do I do this?

I tried going to the princess medallion app and selected dinining options, but a message said I couldn’t use that function until I have paid in full ( I have ). Am I just tryring  to do this too early or is it a glitch with the  princess app?  

20 minutes ago, beaveh said:

I booked on sky princess for an October cruise to the Canary Islands. I’d like to book the main dining room for an early sitting every night How do I do this?

I tried going to the princess medallion app and selected dinining options, but a message said I couldn’t use that function until I have paid in full ( I have ). Am I just tryring  to do this too early or is it a glitch with the  princess app?  

Could be a lot of reasons.

First of all, you are not too early.

So you went on the App to Dine My Way and did you try to view them just one day at a time?  Sometimes same time, every day  feature doesn’t work.

Try that View or book each Individual…. Middle button first. Scroll for the time you want.

LMK