Flights Cancelled

Shone216

Wondering if anyone can advise us on the easiest and quickest way to get to Southampton. Our flights from Aberdeen to Southampton have just been cancelled by the airline. Which airport would be the easiest to get to Southampton….have looked at London & Bristol but would then have to get trains. Would appreciate help on this as we were trying to limit the amount of public transport we’d been on.

9 minutes ago, Shone216 said:

Wondering if anyone can advise us on the easiest and quickest way to get to Southampton. Our flights from Aberdeen to Southampton have just been cancelled by the airline. Which airport would be the easiest to get to Southampton….have looked at London & Bristol but would then have to get trains. Would appreciate help on this as we were trying to limit the amount of public transport we’d been on.

Wouldn’t recommend Bristol as it’s not well located for transport links, we live 2 miles away so know this well 🙁

There’s a National Express coach service from Heathrow Bus station via Terminal 5 to Southampton Coach station. We’ve used this service in the past and it’s not too bad.

46 minutes ago, Shone216 said:

Well, since you don't give us any dates for your travel, we have to just spitball this one.

If you want, you can still fly from ABZ to SOU.  There just isn't any non-stop service between those two airports.  Options include:

KLM via Amsterdam

Loganair and Eastern via Belfast

Loganair and Eastern via Dublin

Or, you can fly non-stop from Edinburgh on Loganair.

1 hour ago, Shone216 said:

we were trying to limit the amount of public transport we’d been on.

Well, if I were really trying to limit my use of public transport I'd be driving, but then being from North America a 10-hour drive isn't that big a deal to me. I would split it in 2 - stay somewhere south of Birmingham the night before and then drive down to Southampton from there the morning of the cruise.

If you leave the driving option out of it, I think you're going to have to decide what combination of plane-train-bus you're comfortable with. Other than the already-mentioned LHR-bus option, you can also fly to Gatwick and take a train from there, or even Birmingham, which also offers direct train service to Southampton from the airport station. And of course you could do train all the way, although that option would probably have you go through London.

Edited by Twickenham

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Well, since you don't give us any dates for your travel, we have to just spitball this one.

If you want, you can still fly from ABZ to SOU.  There just isn't any non-stop service between those two airports.  Options include:

KLM via Amsterdam

Loganair and Eastern via Belfast

Loganair and Eastern via Dublin

Or, you can fly non-stop from Edinburgh on Loganair.

Thanks for the replies….we are travelling mid Sept and original flights were booked with Loganair which were cancelled, we then booked with Eastern airways and today they have cancelled…think we’ll fly BA to Heathrow and make our way to Southampton from there

LoganAir?

Our NCL / SOU fight was changed from the Sunday morning flight to the Sunday evening one .... useless as far as we were concerned.

We are having to fly down the day before and spend the extra night in a hotel.

That night is a Saturday so prices are sky high.

Flying to London, then train (about 1 hour) would seem the most straightforward route. Or potentially see about a transfer service from the airport to Southampton, if you want to avoid the train. I think you'll find threads recommending such services in the Britain sub-forum in Ports.

Loganair also from Glasgow. Or the train, Aberdeen to Birmingham or Wolverhampton on cross country then train to Southampton. We have done this changing at Wolverhampton cross country to virgin which was very easy as the same platform. Or fly to Gatwick or Heathrow and get transfer. Or train to Southampton from Gatwick. 

Thanks for the replies….we originally booked with Loganair and they cancelled, booked with Eastern airways and today they cancelled. We’ve booked a BA flight to Heathrow so now looking at either train or private transfer. Apparently there’s a lack of demand on the Aberdeen to Southampton so the only 2 airlines are pulling out

10 hours ago, Luvs2Crooze said:

I feel for you - we was booked from Manchester to Southampton - cancelled  same for flight home.  Ended up getting train. Single tickets much cheaper

Aw thankyou, it’s such a pain and I’ve tried phoning but the recorded message says to email as the phones are at full capacity …have mailed as still no refund from Loganair but no reply

• 2 weeks later...

Things have improved a bit on the travel front. Don't know your date but here's a couple of train quotes for Wednesday 15th Sept both open returns at £208 per person :-

05:47 arrives Southampton at 15:35 (2 stops)

07:07 arrives Southampton at 16:41 (3 stops)

https://www.mytrainpal.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqqCv6bi57QIVOYBQBh1-swrdEAAYASAAEgJDEfD_BwE 

However, if you have nerves of steel, you may wish to wait to just 7 days before your cruise, as by then, flights may become more available. Regards Paul

Refunds received thankfully ….we’ve booked return BA flight to London and transfers to and from Southampton ….received email yesterday stating time of flight changed🤣….just as well we booked to go the day before cruise so not an issue with time…what is going on with the airlines just now

As I mentioned earlier, LoganAir cancelled our flights and caused great problems.

Now Air France have canceled our flight home …. They have changed it from 1530 to 0500 the following day!

Needless to say they omitted to pass on information regarding our legal rights regarding the changed flights? Being that the new flight was not acceptable, I rang them and they agreed to a hotel. Having said that I pointed out there was a codeshare KLM flight at much the same time as the initial AF flight so they put us on that 😏

Just waiting for the cruise to be cancelled now 😟