CDC cruise ship color status

mraven

Dear Hobar, how are you doing? have your further tests been negative and is your husband doing okay  all alone in his quarantine? Hope there is some way of enjoying the days at sea and you keeping your positiv vibes flowing.

Peter

12 hours ago, ajpeter said:

Dear Hobar, how are you doing? have your further tests been negative and is your husband doing okay  all alone in his quarantine? Hope there is some way of enjoying the days at sea and you keeping your positiv vibes flowing.

Peter

Thank you for your thoughtful post.  I tested neg when I was retested on day four and I have been let out of quarantine but SB does not and will not retest my husband until his 10th day.  However, all other passengers are being tested tomorrow, so stay tuned if there are more cases. I must say that without my husband, I am not enjoying myself or the cruise. While I am traveling with wonderful friends (who we met two years ago on another SB cruise), it is impossible to enjoy myself knowing my husband is locked up and miserable.  The new CDC rules allowing for a reduced 5 day quarantine does not apply to cruise ships.  As people will continue to cruise and quarantine cases will rise, SB (and the entire industry) will need to find ways to occupy those isolated.  While the food and service remain outstanding, those in isolation seem to have been forgotten,  

On 12/27/2021 at 7:42 PM, Captainlyle said:

This is good news for our shipmates in quarantine on cruise ships around the world.

The CDC cut the recommended isolation time for people with COVID-19 from 10 days to five days on Monday amid a surge in omicron cases nationwide. 

Does not apply to cruise ships.

2 hours ago, Hobar said:

Thank you for your thoughtful post.  I tested neg when I was retested on day four and I have been let out of quarantine but SB does not and will not retest my husband until his 10th day.  However, all other passengers are being tested tomorrow, so stay tuned if there are more cases. I must say that without my husband, I am not enjoying myself or the cruise. While I am traveling with wonderful friends (who we met two years ago on another SB cruise), it is impossible to enjoy myself knowing my husband is locked up and miserable.  The new CDC rules allowing for a reduced 5 day quarantine does not apply to cruise ships.  As people will continue to cruise and quarantine cases will rise, SB (and the entire industry) will need to find ways to occupy those isolated.  While the food and service remain outstanding, those in isolation seem to have been forgotten,  

I totally understand not enjoying the cruise while your husband is in isolation.  Can you think of ways those in isolation could be better served?  Is there a way to make this time easier for him?  

Hobar, glad to here that you’re out. I’m sure that this whole ordeal has been extremely difficult. As you may remember from the roll call, we are also on this cruise. I know some people were very anxious about testing. Last nights show was rearranged as 2 performers were COVID positive. 

Edited by fdnycruiser
Too long
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Does anyone know why the CDC reduction in isolation to five days does not apply to cruise ships?

Will it apply in the future?

I was told by an officer yesterday that I was incorrect in stating that the CDC reduction does not apply to cruise ships because the CDC has not yet made a decision.  In the end however, the failure to make a decision is de facto a decision - that is, those in quarantine beyond five days are still there with nothing in sight short of 10 days.  And rumor has it 18 more passengers tested positive. I don’t know that for a fact but that is what many passengers are saying.  Not sure of the number of crew - the rumor mill has it around 50 but I cannot confirm that.  Nevertheless, the crew is carrying on incredibly to continue the wonderful SB service, and we are seeing officers also serving wine and food.  

• Thanks 1

I live in Greece and here the ministry of health has reduced the number of quarantine days to 5 for the vaccinated who got the infection, provided they are asymptomatic. In my opinion this didn't help much, as some of them, even asymptomatic, still transmitting the virus leading (with the help of omicron) to 10 times more cases than August!!!

I hope all is going well on the Ovation.  I was reading the "Silversea Passengers" group on FB today and their reports that about 60 people (passengers and crew who had been quarantined) were dropped by bus at a Miami hotel that turned out not to have rooms available.  After some hours (more than four) wait, some had rooms there and other had to be moved to another hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.  The news media was involved.  Evidently, from the reports, the Miami hotels are filled with cruise passengers who are quarantined.  It seems these would be foreign passengers as Americans could just rent a car and drive away.  Really bad publicity for SS, so hopefully Seabourn passengers are faring much much better.  I hope all is going well and that not too many have been testing positive.  

Hi - quick question if you don't mind - was your testing done specifically because of you canal transit? Or is this a standard thing these days? Are you being tested just once during the cruise or multiple times? I can imagine this would be a somewhat stressful experience!

Yesterday was only our second stop since December 26th. We missed Aruba, 2 stops in Costa Rica, and a stop in Guatemala. I’m not sure if that test was specifically for the canal crossing. The only testing left is for passengers catching international flights. US citizens entering the US by cruise ship do not require to be tested if fully vaccinated.

Speaking of testing, I woke up yesterday with my throat feeling scratchy. I requested a test, and unfortunately tested positive. My wife tested negative,so we are now iseparated from each other until the end of the cruise. I can now say that I share Hobars pain. The good news is that we both feel fine. Because the cruise ends on my 6th day of isolation, I’m allowed to disembark and go home as US now requires only 5 days . BTW, I had the Moderna vaccine and a full dose Moderna booster. There is ALOT of Covid right now. The doctor said he’s running around like you wouldn’t believe . Ross the CD is also down for the count .

2 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Speaking of testing, I woke up yesterday with my throat feeling scratchy. I requested a test, and unfortunately tested positive. My wife tested negative,so we are now iseparated from each other until the end of the cruise. I can now say that I share Hobars pain. The good news is that we both feel fine. Because the cruise ends on my 6th day of isolation, I’m allowed to disembark and go home as US now requires only 5 days . BTW, I had the Moderna vaccine and a full dose Moderna booster. There is ALOT of Covid right now. The doctor said he’s running around like you wouldn’t believe . Ross the CD is also down for the count .

I am so sorry to hear that you tested positive and are now quarantined.  According to the news, this Omicron variant is running rampant in many places.  Were you tested with an antigen test first?  I'm glad that you feel ok.  Please let us know how it goes for you over the next few days.  

• Like 1

We are cruising on the Encore late March 2022 in the Canaries

Naturally we are reading the above post with interest.

I would welcome thoughts on the "Worry Free Promise " and in reality how it is implemented. The devil is usually in the detail.

Quote - 

On Board:

1. FCC worth 100% of the per-day cruise fare for the missed days and a refundable credit to their onboard account for missed pre-paid onboard experiences and shore excursions purchased through cruise line, and for the refundable portion of taxes, fees, and port expenses for ports visited after disembarkation.

My Question  .  Is a missed day defined as a day spent in isolation. /and or /The number of days left on your cruise after you have been disembarked somewhere along the route.

Has any one experience of the  quality of the shore accommodation provided by Seabourn after you have disembarked, for the remainder of your isolation, should that be necessary.

Dedicated Family Assistance Program liaison for care and logistical shoreside support until medically cleared to travel home.

Has that been in place the moment you stepped ashore.. ?

Many thanks

On the CDC page tracking cruise ships, every ship -- 100% -- are now yellow. (The few that are green are not in service and have only limited crew onboard.) As of two weeks ago, it was just a handful. fortunately, none have turned red, indicating larger outbreaks, but things are rough right now with no ship untouched by Covid. And that doesn't even include ships like the Odyssey, which have not entered US waters. 

When we were n the Odyssey in October, there had been just an isolated few cases aboard various cruise ships and we felt completely safe and secure. Now we have another Odyssey cruise scheduled for the end of next month, and we're wondering whether we should bail out. We have two and a half weeks until we hit the 30-day go/no-go point. It will be interesting to see if any cruise lines follow Norwegian and cancel some sailings in the next month or two.

Hampshire lad, I haven’t spoken to them about missed days in isolation. Have received refunds and port taxes as an OBC which will be refunded. As long as the wife stays negative, or my health deteriorates we won’t have a need for shoreside. If on the ship a 10 day isolation applies. I hit day 5 the day before disembarkation. At disembarkation I will be past the US threshold for isolation and be allowed to disembark and be on my way.

The situation is far from ideal, but for now I’m basically asymptomatic, which I’m grateful for. Guest Services has been very helpful, and couldn’t be any nicer. They call a few times a day and ask my wife and myself if we need anything etc. They upgraded the internet package free of charge, and made a few phone calls free of charge also.

The hardest thing is being separated from your spouse, and  in being in your cabin when you don’t feel sick.  My spouse , if still tests negative will be out on Monday. We have reservations for TK that night too. I’ll be jealous that she’s eating out !

6 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Yesterday was only our second stop since December 26th. We missed Aruba, 2 stops in Costa Rica, and a stop in Guatemala. I’m not sure if that test was specifically for the canal crossing. The only testing left is for passengers catching international flights. US citizens entering the US by cruise ship do not require to be tested if fully vaccinated.

I am so sorry to hear, and more so since I have not even met you both yet.  You are very socially responsible for requesting the test.  Just FYI, we both had Pfizer for all three shots so while I wondered if it made a diff on the shots, from what I am reading, it does not, and rather depends on an individual’s own immune system.  My husband had Covid last year too, and me, knock on wood, have not.  Thankfully you got to enjoy your freedom until now, and you will continue to enjoy the same excellent SB service and food.  Think of your time as a forced reprieve.  Best wishes for continuing to feel ok and a new appreciation of “life on the outside.”  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SLSD said:

I am so sorry to hear that you tested positive and are now quarantined.  According to the news, this Omicron variant is running rampant in many places.  Were you tested with an antigen test first?  I'm glad that you feel ok.  Please let us know how it goes for you over the next few days.  

They did the rapid test first, and followed with the PCR. Waited in the cabin for about an hour to get the results , and was surprised. You can tell who has been infected by walking the halls and seeing all the room service trays outside the rooms. No one comes in the room at all. They ring the bell and leave the tray , and you put it out when you’re done. Before   we were confined we saw a lot of trays and red bags in the hallway 

This is so worrying... we embark on Ovation in 23 days time.  Not much choice but to carry on and hope for the best.  

@fdnycruiser  I'm sorry to hear you have tested positive and I'm sure SB are looking after you well but it's not the same is it.  

Could I ask which ship you're on? 

Hobar, thank you for the kind words. We both had the Moderna, including the full dose booster. We both tested negative on the 4th. I felt a little scratchy and decided to test again. I feel so good right now, and it’s hard to believe I’m infected. 
  Mauzac, we’re on the Ovation. That’s all you can do is hope for the best. We were on a transatlantic in November and had a great time . Most people on this cruise, have had, and will continue to have a good time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fdnycruiser said:

Hobar, thank you for the kind words. We both had the Moderna, including the full dose booster. We both tested negative on the 4th. I felt a little scratchy and decided to test again. I feel so good right now, and it’s hard to believe I’m infected. 
  Mauzac, we’re on the Ovation. That’s all you can do is hope for the best. We were on a transatlantic in November and had a great time . Most people on this cruise, have had, and will continue to have a good time. 

Thank you.  I just hope you continue to feel as well as you do.  I've been having a bit of a panic about it all.  Good luck .  🙂

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:10 PM, cruiseej said:

Are you referring to his case on the ship two weeks ago, or did he have Covid previously in 2021 and this was his second time around the block (yikes!)?

No, he had Covid back in 2020.  Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Hobar
Clarify time.