CDC cruise ship color status

mraven

1 hour ago, Hobar said:

I am completely impressed with the positivity, the understanding and the handling of this gentlemans' quarantine. And he is a good writer too ....!!!

Thanks for posting the link, Hobar

• Like 1

Nice that Barry got an email from the Seabourn CEO. I was lucky to get a phone call from the Doctor twice .  Covid is a medical condition. If you test positive and in isolation you are now a patient. As such one should expect regular visits from the health team to monitor your condition. Food from room service is nice, the staff at Seabourn square were all friendly . However, not going over your medical history  or  even bothering to stop by and check your vitals isn’t providing adequately medical care, and could be fatal depending on your underlying conditions . 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Nice that Barry got an email from the Seabourn CEO. I was lucky to get a phone call from the Doctor twice .  Covid is a medical condition. If you test positive and in isolation you are now a patient. As such one should expect regular visits from the health team to monitor your condition. Food from room service is nice, the staff at Seabourn square were all friendly . However, not going over your medical history  or  even bothering to stop by and check your vitals isn’t providing adequately medical care, and could be fatal depending on your underlying conditions . 

I've read what you have written about your disappointment concerning a lack of medical care while you were in isolation having tested positive for Covid.  Did you have symptoms?  

Edited by SLSD

1 hour ago, fdnycruiser said:

I guess you need to be a Crisis PR PRO to get Barry's quality of service.  The article he wrote may have involved compensation from SB too. 

However, Seabourn's response to Covid is still a lot better than what the folks over at Crystal receive.

7 minutes ago, texanaust said:

I guess you need to be a Crisis PR PRO to get Barry's quality of service.  The article he wrote may have involved compensation from SB too. 

However, Seabourn's response to Covid is still a lot better than what the folks over at Crystal receive.

That is cynical...

• Like 2

Hobar, your husband has written a great article but let down by one thing.
“The best laid plans of Mice & Men etc” was taken by Steinbeck from the poem To a Mouse, written by Scotland’s Bard Robert Burns. I am sure the Scottish readers will forgive him (eventually😉)🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 2

2 hours ago, texanaust said:

Really?? i am Barry from Hobar, for the record, I wrote an article a few days into quarantine. I relayed my experience. There was no compensation ever mentioned, implied or requested. your cynicism knows no bounds and it is downright vile. i was treated well and spoke to some of my fellow quarantined comrades.It was difficult for SB as cases increased.To imply special treatment is so out of line but I guess everyone is entitled to an uniformed and speculative opinion. I got the cruise credit everyone got and quarantine credit. i was away from my wife for christmas and New year's, the first time in 30 years we have not ushsered in the new year. i hope and pray you never have this horrible experience. i made the best of it. glass half full, pal! we are lucky to be able to sail. Best case? the holidays with the woman i love. get a life.

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Hobar said:

Really?? i am Barry from Hobar, for the record, I wrote an article a few days into quarantine. I relayed my experience. There was no compensation ever mentioned, implied or requested. your cynicism knows no bounds and it is downright vile. i was treated well and spoke to some of my fellow quarantined comrades.It was difficult for SB as cases increased.To imply special treatment is so out of line but I guess everyone is entitled to an uniformed and speculative opinion. I got the cruise credit everyone got and quarantine credit. i was away from my wife for christmas and New year's, the first time in 30 years we have not ushsered in the new year. i hope and pray you never have this horrible experience. i made the best of it. glass half full, pal! we are lucky to be able to sail. Best case? the holidays with the woman i love. get a life.

My comment really was not about you, just that different people receive/perceive differing levels of service.  People also do get paid to write articles, and all I said was that it might be possible.

But I am sorry that my post would provoke such a reaction.  Enjoy your life and wife-I'm just some cynical nobody from the net.  

13 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

No, you're not.  Please continue to post.

Agreed, I would like to continue hearing from Texanaust.

Regardless of whether or not there was extra compensation (he states no), in his article, Barry wrote,

"

I have gotten emails from Seabourn president Josh Leibowitz who reached out during this difficult time of separation anxiety. 

His support has shown why Seabourn is a star brand; it’s not just about the food or the linens, it’s about the soul, the heart and the compassion. 

I’m a retired PR guy and while I know how to spin positively, I also know how to confront those who are bad actors or don’t do the right thing."

FDNY states he had no emails  from Leibowitz (is he making it up?).  How many other quarantined SB pax -- what percentage -- got "emails from Seabourn president Josh Leibowitz"?  (And I'm not talking about the generic "regrets" emails). FDNY also stated he was not happy with the medical level of supervision. Why would he say that if everything was peachy?

Important people (i.e., those who " know how to spin positively" and "know how to confront those who are bad actors or don't do the right thing" )typically receive special attention for all kinds of things -- but in fairness, this does not just happen on SB.  It is quite clear from posts by important frequent, and vocal, cruisers on Crystal and SS that extra attention and  extra comfort contacts can be expected, pre-Covid, intra-Covid, and likely post-Covid.  It is just the way of the cruising world, and it is not just about money.

I see the issue not as a "you got more than I did" matter, but whether or not the *objective* handling of a situation was or was not to one's satisfaction, *relative to what one could expect on other lines.* From what I have read on social media, on CC, and elsewhere, at this point DH and I know that odds are we will be treated robotically,  like all other hoi-polloi, if something goes wrong (e.g., we get quarantined),  regardless of what "luxury" line we are on. Knowing this, it is up to us either to not sail, or figure out how to take care of ourselves.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo

12 hours ago, Hobar said:

i am Barry from Hobar, for the record

I think everyone thought it was your wife posting, since there was reference to “ my husband” in previous posts. Regardless, it has been informative to read your updates as you go through this (unfortunate) experience/“vacation”.  

BTW, I received an email from Josh last night as I’m sure many of you did.  I thought it was a great summary of Seabourn’s health and safety commitment to guests.  Not to be cynical, but was it in response to quarantined guest experience of its ships? Who knows.  They just need to deliver on what they promise.  

• Like 1

It’s it lengthy, but here is the email:

Dear Valued Guest, 

Like you, at Seabourn we love to travel. We completely understand how eager many of you are to get out and reconnect with the world, but are also keenly aware that these days travel is filled with uncertainties, constantly changing requirements and countless COVID-19 updates. 

You likely have questions and concerns about travel, and this short note provides an update on our work at Seabourn to keep our guests as comfortable and safe as possible. Over the past six months, thousands have sailed with us and we are very proud of the outcome. The feedback from our guests has reached record levels of joy and satisfaction and we have delivered on our health and safety policies and procedures. 

We are always looking to continuously improve by working 24/7 with our health experts and authorities in the places we visit, to adapt and learn as conditions change. Here is a summary of those actions:

• In accordance with health authority directives, our cruises will be operated as vaccinated cruises, as defined by the CDC, with guests and crew vaccination rates approaching 100%. These cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an authorized/approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination, in accordance with CDC guidelines.
  • Our Seabourn team members that are eligible have received, or are now receiving, their booster shots and many of our guests have also received their boosters as well.
  • All guests and crew are frequently reminded to monitor their health and report any COVID-19 symptoms immediately. 
  • We conduct regular COVID-19 testing of our entire crew.
  • All guests are required to wear masks at all times when indoors, except when eating or drinking or when in their own suites and when outdoors if in large gatherings where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
  • As advised by health authorities, guests are recommended to use higher grade masks indoors and we are now providing KN-95 masks for guests. 
  • The shore excursions provided by Seabourn include additional health and safety standards overseen by local officials.
  • We disinfect all public spaces and suites with increased frequency.
  • Our HVAC systems now feature enhanced circulation of fresh air, upgraded filtration, and UV treatment.

Additionally, because our ships carry fewer guests, we offer physical distancing advantages. These include the most generous space-to-guest ratios in the industry, multiple dining options with outdoor seating, and plenty of open deck space in public areas and in most guest suites with your private furnished veranda.

We have also increased the coverage of the medical team on board. Should any health issues arise, be assured that our state-of-the-art, fully equipped onboard hospital and highly trained doctors and nurses are available 24/7 as needed.

One question that many guests ask is: what happens if a guest tests positive on a Seabourn ship?

While rare, we recognize that this does happen. If a guest tests positive, our medical team will diagnose the guest and perform any additional tests if deemed necessary. Travel companions and any other very close contacts will be identified and screened. Positive guests will isolate in their suite or in a designated suite held for isolation, and very close contacts will be quarantined in designated suites on board.

Our care team and medical team engage with these guests to ensure they have the highest level of comfort and support, done in coordination with medical experts at our Health Operations Center in Miami. Current isolation requirements vary by country and region following a positive COVID-19 test. Our first preference is for those guests to stay with us on board where we have medical teams providing support and a full range of food, movies, books and entertainment to help the time pass. If that is not an option, we have pre-identified hotels that will accommodate the isolation period.

We all recognize that circumstances can change and we continue to adapt our policies and procedures to be as state-of-the-art as possible. Our goal is to offer a luxury vacation experience that is unmatched in quality, safety and joy.

We strongly encourage you to compare the health and safety measures offered on Seabourn to those offered anywhere else in the world. Take comfort in knowing you are surrounded by like-minded guests that have taken similar health and safety steps to travel as safely as possible.

Finally, our Worry Free Promise policy gives you peace of mind so you can start planning your next voyage with us. We will do everything in our power to ensure your time on Seabourn is filled with joy, adventure, and unforgettable Seabourn Moments.

What we have learned over the past 22 months is that patience, flexibility and care can navigate us through most any challenge together. We consider all of our guests and team members part of something we call the Seabourn family. Our commitment is to do our best every day and we hope to see you soon on Seabourn.

Sincerely,

josh_sig.jpg

Josh Leibowitz
President, Seabourn

• Like 1

I note that the letter  from Josh Leibowitz says that the “Worry Free Promise” provides peace of mind.  I have been looking at a Seabourn cruise departing in May.  However, the “Worry Free Promise” provides no peace of mind if I were to book that cruise, since the “Worry Free Promise” only applies to cruises departing on or prior to April 30 according to the Seabourn website.  If I were to book, I would already be subject to a cash penalty if I later canceled, with no right to a future cruise credit.  The coverage dates of the "Worry Free Promise" need to be extended since it is meaningless for cruises departing after April 30.  Until the coverages dates of the Promise are extended, I will not book a May cruise with an immediate cash penalty if I later canceled.  Under the circumstances, the Promise is out-of-date and provides no peace of mind for booking a future cruise departing after April 30.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunprince said:

BTW, I received an email from Josh last night as I’m sure many of you did.  I thought it was a great summary of Seabourn’s health and safety commitment to guests.  Not to be cynical, but was it in response to quarantined guest experience of its ships? Who knows.  They just need to deliver on what they promise.  

I received the same email and thought it was well written.  However, as I have stated before, Seabourn does not enforce its mask policy on board (nor do their local tour guides on the excursion buses).

Edited by sfvoyage
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, legal holiday said:

I note that the letter  from Josh Leibowitz says that the “Worry Free Promise” provides peace of mind.  [But it] only applies to cruises departing on or prior to April 30. The coverage dates of the "Worry Free Promise" need to be extended since it is meaningless for cruises departing after April 30.

Exactly right. I thought the letter from Josh Leibowitz was good, as it was the first time they gave at least some insight into their procedures when someone tests positive. But having a "Worry Free Promise" which only applies to cruises in the next 100 days is pretty limiting. We all know the state of Covid and various places in the world can change, change often, and change quickly. If they really want to encourage customers to book cruises later this year, they should extend the cancel-within-30-days promise, and should extend their commitment to allowing only vaccinated passengers and crew onboard, beyond April 30. Without that, this letter only aims to put a band-aid on a hemorrhage of cancellations they've been experiencing since Omicron took off.

We had a great experience on an Odyssey cruise in early October, and joined several friends in booking another Odyssey cruise at the end of February. But we booked in mid-October, when things with Covid were looking pretty good and no one could predict what would happen just two months later. We're watching the situation closely and hoping to not cancel by our 30-day-in-advance deadline at the end of this month, but if we were subject to the traditional 120-day penalty period, we would be much more stressed about what will hopefully be an enjoyable vacation. Until Covid truly becomes not much more than the common cold, and testing and quarantines become limited to people who have fallen seriously ill, Seabourn ought to keep the "Worry Free Promise" on the table.

Here's how they could do it to cover passengers and themselves: (1) Extend the "promise" until the end of this year, of the middle or next year, or even longer. (2) But add a provision that if/when things change such that they deem Covid no longer to be the significant threat to travel that it is today, they can cancel the promise with 30 day advance notice to booked customers. In practical terms: anyone more than four months out from a cruise can cancel without penalty under the normal cancellation policy, so this would only affect people within the 120 day window of a cruise; if they announce the termination of the cancel up-to-within-30-days policy, but give anyone already booked 30 days advance notice, then anyone could decide at that time whether to opt out or not, without penalty, if they find things still too uncertain to travel. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunprince said:

I think everyone thought it was your wife posting, since there was reference to “ my husband” in previous posts. Regardless, it has been informative to read your updates as you go through this (unfortunate) experience/“vacation”.  

Usually it’s me, Hope, in HoBar, who was posting on this thread, and thus the references to “my husband,” but my husband felt compelled to reply to the poster who made a presumptive conclusion; I, on the other hand, thought it hardly deserved my time to respond. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiseej said:

In practical terms: anyone more than four months out from a cruise can cancel without penalty under the normal cancellation policy, so this would only affect people within the 120 day window of a cruise;

Not completely true.   Longer cruises 26 days or more have a 150 day cancellation policy so really need to cover those on longer cruises as our next cruise is 30 days.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Not completely true.   Longer cruises 26 days or more have a 150 day cancellation policy so really need to cover those on longer cruises as our next cruise is 30 days.

Thanks for the correction, Dave. Having never been on (or considered) a cruise longer than 25 days, I wasn't aware of that rule. In any case, what I suggested earlier still fits; just change the timeframe. 😉 Seabourn still needs to extend the Worry Free Promise beyond April 2022, and I suggested a mechanism where they could extend it far into the future but later rescind it after giving any passengers inside the 30-to-120 day — or 30-to-150 day — penalty window 30 days to cancel without penalty.