Special Dietary Needs

groundloop

Every time a book a cruise my travel agent asks if we have any special dietary needs, it's tempting to tell her I'm on a strict Rib-eye and New York Strip diet.  But anyway, I started wondering how that would work once onboard if someone does indeed have special dietary needs (for instance someone who is vegetarian).  Will you have to order your meals ahead of time?  Does the ship prepare a menu for you which you can chose from?  How about lunches?

So, I don't know about vegetarians specifically, but with food allergies you advise your wait staff. Each night after dinner they bring you the next evenings menu where you can order and they will make recommendations. It's my understanding then that your food is prepared in a specific place in the kitchen. I do know that there is a vegetarian option on the menu each night. Don't know about "off-menu" options. I do know that I have read reviews from many vegetarians who have cruised Carnival and have been impressed with their meal options.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

So, I don't know about vegetarians specifically, but with food allergies you advise your wait staff. Each night after dinner they bring you the next evenings menu where you can order and they will make recommendations. It's my understanding then that your food is prepared in a specific place in the kitchen. I do know that there is a vegetarian option on the menu each night. Don't know about "off-menu" options. I do know that I have read reviews from many vegetarians who have cruised Carnival and have been impressed with their meal options.

This is pretty much it. Being a vegetarian is no longer considered a special dietary need, but being a vegan is. If a vegan meal isn't available in the MDR when the next day menu is reviewed you will be given a few options for a specially prepared meal. And you have nailed how allergies are handled by what I have been told.

• Like 2

I'm vegetarian, and also allergic to wheat. I eat dinner in the MDR and order the night ahead (on the first day of sailing I talk to the maître d and order for that night). Lunches have plenty of options - Guy's has a veggie burger and GF buns, Buffet has salads, Pizza has GF crusts if you ask for it (last time I did this it was terrible, maybe they are better now?). My favorite lunch spot is Blue Iguana.. if GF you can get corn tortillas, if just veg you can get anything with just beans and whatever toppings. I've never gone hungry on a cruise. 

• Like 1

Some special diets are prepared in advance off the ship for those who keep Kosher for example. Food is prepared under Rabbinical supervision in a Kosher kitchen. It is sealed and loaded on the ship. The kitchen staff heats the food in specially cleaned areas, waiters bring it to your table. 

As with banquet kitchens everywhere with right thinking management, they are happy to address special dietary needs. 

• Like 1

Good information, I never knew how that was handled.  

I didn't realize Guy's had a veggie burger, I might try that out of curiosity (plus I need to continue my weight loss while cruising, or at least not go too far backwards).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Moviela said:

Some special diets are prepared in advance off the ship for those who keep Kosher for example. Food is prepared under Rabbinical supervision in a Kosher kitchen. It is sealed and loaded on the ship. The kitchen staff heats the food in specially cleaned areas, waiters bring it to your table. 

As with banquet kitchens everywhere with right thinking management, they are happy to address special dietary needs. 

That is so interesting - thanks for that info!

Just now, ScottsSweetie said:

What is that, exactly? I could be persuaded to order it.

It's been six long years since I've cruised now

but it kinda stands out on the MDR Menu

billed pretty much as Indian Vegetarian ... something.

You won't miss it.

And ASK if you don't see it listed -it will pop up!

Includes Tiki Masala and other fun stuff

Veggie-261.jpg

• Like 1

DW cant eat gluten, dairy or eggs.  They always have something onboard for her and will often make her bread to eat for the week both for lunch and dinner.  We just speak with the head waiter at the buffet or dining room and they carefully go over the menu.  For dinner she always orders a day in advance and she can order anything she wants.  They will often make her a special dessert that changes each night without her having to order it and they just bring it out.  Cruise lines do a fantastic job with food allergies etc and we appreciate all they do to ensure DW has a wonderful dining experience.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 6:00 PM, Steelers0854 said:

They will often make her a special dessert that changes each night

without her having to order it and they just bring it out.  

Cruise lines do a fantastic job with food allergies etc

and we appreciate all they do to ensure DW

has a wonderful dining experience.

One suspects that personnel in the Galley below

enjoy the challenge and a departure from their regular routine

that must get a bit boring for creative chefs.