Viking Plus--Some Observations

rbslos18

I have finally gotten my flight itinerary for our December Ancient Mediterranean Antiquities straightened out. It took a lot of calls (about 8). I have to admit it has been very stressful. Here are some observations.

1) Every single Viking Air Plus representative I worked with was as nice as can be and tried to be helpful.

2) The competency level was all over the place. Some people we spoke with were very new and unfamiliar with Air Plus rules. Others were pros and fixed problems generated by the inexperienced agents 

3) One has to really do their own homework BEFORE calling. Know your preferred airline and routing.

4) Be prepared for lots and lots of changes from the airlines. One day I signed into myvikingjourney to learn my entire flight itinerary had changed without any notice given to me.

5) After booking and choosing seats, be sure to check the airline's website to make sure everything went through. SOme flights one can't choose seats until the ticket is issued.

6) Be prepared for delays. Several of my airline schedules had very risky "legal" connections in airports known for Winter delays. 

7) The desired itinerary we wanted was rejected twice. Today it was accepted. The agent, today,  who was fantastic had no idea why it was declined before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very good advise.   Especially #3, 4. 

In the  end, Air plus is  worth for me, rather than doing on my own   during these trying times.  I also have only  points with one airline but  is not in 6 figures by any means. So I am open to  flying on the best flights with the fewest layovers . Living in the Midwest, my options are not vast.  

17 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Very good advise.   Especially #3, 4. 

In the  end, Air plus is  worth for me, rather than doing on my own   during these trying times.  I also have only  points with one airline but  is not in 6 figures by any means. So I am open to  flying on the best flights with the fewest layovers . Living in the Midwest, my options are not vast.  

Yes the options aren't great for we  midwesterners in the US, particularly in the Winter. My prior flight had m going from Louisville to DFW to get to EUrope--the opposite direction!. I too have found using Viking Plus a fairly good deal with a lot of caution.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Yes the options aren't great for we  midwesterners in the US, particularly in the Winter. My prior flight had m going from Louisville to DFW to get to EUrope--the opposite direction!. I too have found using Viking Plus a fairly good deal with a lot of caution.

During Covid, my son got married.  They went on a Honeymoon to Jamaica with flights included.  What had been a Denver-Miami-Montego Bay flight turned into Denver-LAX-Miami-Montego Bay.  The good thing was that there weren't many people at the resort and they are young and can handle crazy flight schedules easier than I

• Like 1

Notes on some of your items:

2 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

2) The competency level was all over the place. Some people we spoke with were very new and unfamiliar with Air Plus rules. Others were pros and fixed problems generated by the inexperienced agents 

Follow this Pro Tip:  If you get an agent in over their head:  TTHUCA  -  Thank them, hang up, call again. 

3) One has to really do their own homework BEFORE calling. Know your preferred airline and routing.

ITA Matrix is your best friend.  Especially in "Time Bar" display format.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

4) Be prepared for lots and lots of changes from the airlines. One day I signed into myvikingjourney to learn my entire flight itinerary had changed without any notice given to me.

Responsibility is first and foremost on the traveler themself.  And don't use MVJ for flight info -- it can be delayed by hours or days.  Better to check the airline website directly.  Or sign up for Expert Flyer for alerts.

5) After booking and choosing seats, be sure to check the airline's website to make sure everything went through. SOme flights one can't choose seats until the ticket is issued.

Remember that getting a six character locator does NOT mean that you are ticketed, or even that things are fine.  Until you have a 13 digit ticket number, you are not ticketed and you have, at best, a reservation.  Or at worst, an itinerary that is "on request" in some black-hole queue.

6) Be prepared for delays. Several of my airline schedules had very risky "legal" connections in airports known for Winter delays.

Know that airlines want to give you the shortest connection they can.  Which is often not in your best interest.  Remember the rules for international connections -- it is "legal" and qualifies for a through fare if the connection is A) under 24 hours in length or B) the first onward flight, whichever is LONGER.  So you can build in longer connect times after doing your research with Matrix (see tip 3).  You can even build in overnight connects to satisfy your connection comfort level -- don't ever feel you need to run through airports  (that was for OJ).

7) The desired itinerary we wanted was rejected twice. Today it was accepted. The agent, today,  who was fantastic had no idea why it was declined before.

One of the issues with cruiseline issued air is one of contracts and available inventory.  The bulk rate/consolidator tickets you get from the airline are dictated by the contracts, which govern airlines, routings and inventory on flights.  I suspect in this case that inventory was previously not available, but later opened up - perhaps someone cancelled their booking and freed up space.  Or some ongoing negotiations on the contract opened up more seats.

Not all airlines are covered, nor all routes even with contracted carriers.  In the OPs case, there was a simple one-stop connect offered by United for purchase direct, but it was unavailable through Viking Air.  Those "good deals" on cruiseline air come with a bunch of caveats, including opaque fare rules that may hurt during irops.  I have nothing against cruiseline air, per se - just want people to know what they are signing up for.  (And FWIW, airline tickets are not all the same, even if booked on the same flights)

All in all, good observations - and much for folks to digest.   And for all, note that there is a Cruise Air forum here at CC, where all types of air questions get asked and answered by some pretty savvy folk.  Including some multi-million milers who have flown the world for decades.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Notes on some of your items:

Follow this Pro Tip:  If you get an agent in over their head:  TTHUCA  -  Thank them, hang up, call again. 

ITA Matrix is your best friend.  Especially in "Time Bar" display format.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

Responsibility is first and foremost on the traveler themself.  And don't use MVJ for flight info -- it can be delayed by hours or days.  Better to check the airline website directly.  Or sign up for Expert Flyer for alerts.

Remember that getting a six character locator does NOT mean that you are ticketed, or even that things are fine.  Until you have a 13 digit ticket number, you are not ticketed and you have, at best, a reservation.  Or at worst, an itinerary that is "on request" in some black-hole queue.

Know that airlines want to give you the shortest connection they can.  Which is often not in your best interest.  Remember the rules for international connections -- it is "legal" and qualifies for a through fare if the connection is A) under 24 hours in length or B) the first onward flight, whichever is LONGER.  So you can build in longer connect times after doing your research with Matrix (see tip 3).  You can even build in overnight connects to satisfy your connection comfort level -- don't ever feel you need to run through airports  (that was for OJ).

One of the issues with cruiseline issued air is one of contracts and available inventory.  The bulk rate/consolidator tickets you get from the airline are dictated by the contracts, which govern airlines, routings and inventory on flights.  I suspect in this case that inventory was previously not available, but later opened up - perhaps someone cancelled their booking and freed up space.  Or some ongoing negotiations on the contract opened up more seats.

Not all airlines are covered, nor all routes even with contracted carriers.  In the OPs case, there was a simple one-stop connect offered by United for purchase direct, but it was unavailable through Viking Air.  Those "good deals" on cruiseline air come with a bunch of caveats, including opaque fare rules that may hurt during irops.  I have nothing against cruiseline air, per se - just want people to know what they are signing up for.  (And FWIW, airline tickets are not all the same, even if booked on the same flights)

All in all, good observations - and much for folks to digest.   And for all, note that there is a Cruise Air forum here at CC, where all types of air questions get asked and answered by some pretty savvy folk.  Including some multi-million milers who have flown the world for decades.

Thank you for  your post. I have used Cruise Air forum in the past and have gotten great response to my questions. Will of course use it again  when needed. 

BTW , you said you have booked a Viking cruise. When and where? I think you will like it. 

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

Thank you for  your post. I have used Cruise Air forum in the past and have gotten great response to my questions. Will of course use it again  when needed. 

BTW , you said you have booked a Viking cruise. When and where? I think you will like it. 

Anonymity is my stock in trade -- I give the advice straight and hard, which he left some folks with heightened sensitivities not my biggest fans.  Let's just say that I have several Viking cruises booked for travel in the next six months.  And yes, I assume I will like it (even though the cabin photos show a great lack of storage space and drawers compared to other lines).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Anonymity is my stock in trade -- I give the advice straight and hard, which he left some folks with heightened sensitivities not my biggest fans.  Let's just say that I have several Viking cruises booked for travel in the next six months.  And yes, I assume I will like it (even though the cabin photos show a great lack of storage space and drawers compared to other lines).

If you are not on the Star , Sea, or Sky, you will have another set for drawers in the closet.Or travel light and you will be fine! 

I will be on The Viking Venus on Oct 12, maybe our paths will cross? 

On 8/23/2021 at 4:48 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I was just on Viking Venus and found storage more than adequate.  We didn’t even use all the drawers. 

A question for Flyer Talker, or anyone else who has a good handle on this;

We'll (hopefully!) be flying SEA-LHR next summer for the British Isles cruise, and then home from Barcelona after the Trade Routes cruise which we are doing B2B. Would we be less likely to experience so many flight changes if we book on flights that are currently flying (such as BA48) over those who show as scheduled for next year but are currently cancelled (such as BA52)?  Or am I just trying too hard to read the tea leaves? We are leaning toward Air Plus but may book with the airline directly - we'll see how things look when the time comes.

Thanks for any input! I learn so much from this forum!

Tough to do anything more than speculate.  What follows is nothing more than my own slightly experienced guess.

I assume you are talking about the difference in future schedules between a flight that is currently running and will be continuing on the schedule, as opposed to one that would be new to operation on that future schedule.

In general, it is easier for an airline to drop a planned flight/routing than to change an operational one.  Operational ones already have crew and maintenance factored in to a high degree - scheduled ones to a slightly lesser degree.  But that doesn't make either one immune or likely.

I think you are trying to read a bit too much.  I would consider this as a factor, but would be down the list of priorities for me.  I would first be considering flight comfort and equipment - that makes such a difference on a long-haul.  I don't worry so much on a 2 hour flight - make that 10+ and it's a world of difference.  One small example -- the difference between a coach flight on a 777 with 9 across vs 10 across.  In business -- all aisle access vs non.  Width and pitch of the actual seats in all classes.

Also factor in that BA charges for seat assignments unless you have high status.  Is it worth flying to SFO to get more airline choices?  Is it worth flying to a Euro-hub and connecting to LHR and back from BCN to get a better experience?  Only YOU can decide.

Finally, remember the caveats of AirPlus and all cruiseline air.  You may get tickets with significant fare rule restrictions, you may not be able to upgrade seats or classes, and you may have endorsement restrictions if you hit irops.  Plus, you'll pay a customizing fee if you want to make your own choices.

Remember - ITA Matrix is your friend.

Thanks so much for these remarks, Flyer Talker.  I'm spending wayyy more time than is probably good for us researching planes, seats, routes, etc.  In the "before times," and scheduled for next year, we had/will have nonstops from Seattle to LHR on BA, Delta, American, and a one-stop connection thru FRA on Lufthansa, and nonstop returns from LHR, CDG, FRA and AMS to choose from (once we get to that hub somehow). I totally agree that the factors you mentioned make a huge difference in comfort.   I'm also fully aware that the equipment we may book initially may not be what is actually in use when we fly, making all of this an interesting exercise! But one does one's best with the data at hand.  

We used Air Plus on our last Viking cruise, and were able to specify and book our first choice of flights.  And everything went smoothly.  With what seems like some potential for international travel to be a bit "up in the air," (sorry , couldn't resist) next year , I definitely hear you re: cruiseline air shortcomings in the case of irops or simply equipment changes.  But that uncertainty also makes the AirPlus option attractive in the case of a cruise cancellation - no worry about using airline vouchers within a certain period of time.  Decisions, decisions! We'll just have to see what flights Air Plus has in their contract. The quote Viking gave us when we booked our cruise,  for Business out and Prem Econ return,  is right in the ballpark with airline websites, at least for flights  a couple of months earlier than ours will be.  Time will tell what makes the most sense. 

And thanks for the ITA Matrix tip - I love the time bar viewing option!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soundcruiser said:

And thanks for the ITA Matrix tip - I love the time bar viewing option!

Yep.  Completely saves you doing math in your head subtracting times to figure out connects, flight durations and the like.  If you are a visual person, it's wonderful.  And you can see overnight flights, overnight connects and the rest at a glance.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WanderingBrit said:

I'm left unclear on why anyone would pay extra for Air Plus?

I haven't, I don't plan to, and this leaves me more convinced that I'm right.

If we are have included flights, or opt to accept Viking Air, the "Air Plus" is one of the first things we add to the booking. Having experienced shipping company flights,when I had no options, I consider the CAN $50 pp as cheap insurance, to provide us options, if necessary.

Prior to our son joining the Diamond Princess as S/2/O in Korea, they gave him flights from Vancouver, to the US Eastern seaboard, then to Japan and finally Korea. This was the cheapest option they could find. They didn't care that he would spend many additional hours flying before being the senior watchkeeping officer at midnight, on joining the ship. While it is unlikely Viking would provide this poor an option, with "Air Plus" we have the ability to request a different option.

Another example of shipping company flights. I met one of the British Captains for dinner, the night before he took command of Diamond Princess in Vancouver. We have multiple direct daily flights from LHR to YVR, but they found a cheaper option through Seattle. Without Air Plus, this is a possible flight option that Viking could book for us at the end of the 23 WC. Personally, I would want a direct flight, rather than going to SeaTac and taking the little plane up the coast.

Our other reason is accumulating miles. We use OneWorld, with most of the airlines being part of the Viking contract flights. For our flights back from LHR, without Air Plus, Viking could book us on Air Canada, which would cost us about 20,000 BA Avios points.

Everyone has different needs, but for us it has worked. For the 20 WC, I researched all flight options and provided our 1st and 2nd choices to our TA. Viking Air accepted both non-stop 1st choices, which provided the times and aircraft we wanted.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

If we are have included flights, or opt to accept Viking Air, the "Air Plus" is one of the first things we add to the booking. Having experienced shipping company flights,when I had no options, I consider the CAN $50 pp as cheap insurance, to provide us options, if necessary.

Prior to our son joining the Diamond Princess as S/2/O in Korea, they gave him flights from Vancouver, to the US Eastern seaboard, then to Japan and finally Korea. This was the cheapest option they could find. They didn't care that he would spend many additional hours flying before being the senior watchkeeping officer at midnight, on joining the ship. While it is unlikely Viking would provide this poor an option, with "Air Plus" we have the ability to request a different option.

Another example of shipping company flights. I met one of the British Captains for dinner, the night before he took command of Diamond Princess in Vancouver. We have multiple direct daily flights from LHR to YVR, but they found a cheaper option through Seattle. Without Air Plus, this is a possible flight option that Viking could book for us at the end of the 23 WC. Personally, I would want a direct flight, rather than going to SeaTac and taking the little plane up the coast.

Our other reason is accumulating miles. We use OneWorld, with most of the airlines being part of the Viking contract flights. For our flights back from LHR, without Air Plus, Viking could book us on Air Canada, which would cost us about 20,000 BA Avios points.

Everyone has different needs, but for us it has worked. For the 20 WC, I researched all flight options and provided our 1st and 2nd choices to our TA. Viking Air accepted both non-stop 1st choices, which provided the times and aircraft we wanted.

Thanks for taking the time to address my question. It sounds as if Air Plus only makes sense if the Viking airfare is cheaper than one can arrange oneself?

When we booked our next cruise, while onboard, we were told that Viking Air (or Plus) would not be able to help us take advantage of the BA "Travel Together" voucher that I could otherwise use - and which of course makes travel cheaper than anything Viking would match.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Thanks for taking the time to address my question. It sounds as if Air Plus only makes sense if the Viking airfare is cheaper than one can arrange oneself?

When we booked our next cruise, while onboard, we were told that Viking Air (or Plus) would not be able to help us take advantage of the BA "Travel Together" voucher that I could otherwise use - and which of course makes travel cheaper than anything Viking would match.

Apparently, Viking Air Plus used to permit booking reward flight and using the companion vouchers. When we booked a cruise onboard, the Cruise Consultant mentioned the ability to use Avios. However, when our TA contacted them to book flights, using Avios and a companion voucher, they advised it was no longer an option, having been stopped a couple of years ago.

Due to COVID, we have a BA companion voucher that expires early next year, so will be unable to use it. No great loss, as it has no cost, or cash value. Just one of the perks through our BA Visa.

In addition to price, we have found Viking Air doesn't always work. When we had a River/Ocean combo booked, we planned to arrive LHR and then fly up to Edinburgh for a couple of weeks pre-cruise. Then fly Edinburgh to Prague. The Viking Air limitations just didn't work, so we had planned to book our own flight using Avios.

If you opt for Viking Air for flights to UK/Continent, might be worth considering Air Plus, so you can request a BA/AA flight, collecting more Avios.😀

• Like 1

My invoice from Viking says they gave me a credit of $400 per person to bring the cost of the flight down from $1499 to $1099 per person. But now I see that they are advertising the flight as $999 per person with no discount for the same cruise. Is there any real difference for the purposes of Viking Air Plus? As in, will my current deal get me $1499 of credit toward a flight?

I ask because I’m pondering canceling my trip and rebooking with a TA I know. I’m a week past the 60 days in which I can simply transfer, unfortunately. But if doing so would give me $500 less credit per person for flight, then that is a lot that give up. 

14 hours ago, Eggtuary said:

My invoice from Viking says they gave me a credit of $400 per person to bring the cost of the flight down from $1499 to $1099 per person. But now I see that they are advertising the flight as $999 per person with no discount for the same cruise.

I hope I understand your question.  From my experience with V. rep, the airfare and cabin pricing are linked together.  You can't get recent lower airfare adjustment against the original air pricing.  If you elect to rebook, you have to choose among current prices.  Good Luck

My Viking Air Plus saga continues. If I have learned anything from dealing with this department, it is to check my itinerary regularly. Yesterday I check MVJ and I was shocked my latest itinerary had changed to fairly risky flight connection times. I called and apparently due to a time change in one of my prior flights, their computer generated a new itinerary with very high risk connection times for during the Winter. The Viking Air Plus agent agreed 1 hour in IAD and AMS are risky so it was back to the drawing board.

On a positive note, the agent who helped me was a pro and my new itinerary is great. I can't imagine the stress of dealing with all of these airline changes. This agent was so good, I said: "I have a meeting to go to. I trust your judgement. Give me whatever you think is best and has at least two hour connection times." He delivered. I am averaging a flight change a week! 

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 3