Free at Sea Beverage Package Questions

Cruiser933

I need two cabins for four adults - parents and adult children.  The parents do not need or want the free beverage package, but the adult children do. I know if I make one reservation for two cabins, all four must have the beverage package. Can I make two separate reservations using the same credit card and only have one cabin have the beverage package?

7 minutes ago, Cruiser933 said:

I need two cabins for four adults - parents and adult children.  The parents do not need or want the free beverage package, but the adult children do. I know if I make one reservation for two cabins, all four must have the beverage package. Can I make two separate reservations using the same credit card and only have one cabin have the beverage package?

I don't see why you couldn't . . . If you plan on drinking any alcoholic beverages or soda, the beverage package may still be worth it.

My limited understanding is that cruisers wanting to share dinner tables must all have the same level of drink package, lest someone, somewhere get a free drink they aren't entitled to.    So even if the reservations are kept separate, if the 4 of you want to have supper together and one of you wants a drink, things might get sticky.    I think exceptions might be made for those in recovery, but I don't know how that would get handled gracefully at the restaurant.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, zerooveride said:

I don't see why you couldn't . . . If you plan on drinking any alcoholic beverages or soda, the beverage package may still be worth it.

Everyone in a cabin must have the beverage package or opt out.  So assuming the parents are in one cabin, they can forego the "free" package (and save the gratuities on that.)  The adult children can opt in.  

4 minutes ago, Buttongirl72 said:

My limited understanding is that cruisers wanting to share dinner tables must all have the same level of drink package, lest someone, somewhere get a free drink they aren't entitled to.    So even if the reservations are kept separate, if the 4 of you want to have supper together and one of you wants a drink, things might get sticky.    I think exceptions might be made for those in recovery, but I don't know how that would get handled gracefully at the restaurant.

I'm not sure this is the case.  I routinely have dinner with people in other cabins, sometimes 3-4 different cabins.  The server asks for a keycard from someone in each cabin, both for drink orders as well as for premium dining.  

I've bought the Premium Plus for myself but my friends in other cabins have not.  I suppose I could share my bottle of wine with those at my table (why would anyone care?) but if they wanted a glass of something premium they'd have to pony up for that.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Buttongirl72 said:

Incorrect.

• Like 3

It would be two separate cabins - one with drink package and one without. One only drinks water and one rarely drinks so not worth the gratuities for two. Neither would attempt to get “free” drinks from the two with the package. They would eat dinner together.

I do think there is also a way to only have one person in a cabin to have the beverage package. Someone on here once mentioned that if there is a legitimate reason one person can't have the package (i would think: pregnant, medical condition, recovering alcoholic), you could call NCL and only have it for one person. It might have been in the thread about the Premium Plus package.

Anyone know more?

I didn't think booking directly through NCL that you could have one reservation for two cabins.  I thought it was always one reservation number per cabin, and then the reservations could be "linked".  I know on NCL.com it specifically says only one cabin can be booked at a time.

Yes, you can make two separate reservations for two separate cabins with the same credit card as long as the passenger names are different.  And you'll probably have to go this route.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buttongirl72 said:

Maybe you are thinking about a different cruise line. NCL have no idea who you will be sharing a table with, and that can change throughout the cruise. It wouldn’t be possible for them to have a rule as you suggest.

• Like 3

did this exact thing for my Dec cruise.  Booked 2 rooms and booked directly with a Nor. agent.  She put 1 room for my dtr and myself, we have the beverage package, 1 room my son who is 18 and my husband, that room no beverage package.  I have 2 separate reservation numbers, was able to take advantage of the one fly get the second free, we all have dining packages and our rooms are across the hall, balcony and inside cabin.  

• Like 1

I do this all the time with my mother and her husband. We book everything for us and them but it is still considered separate bookings. They don’t drink and don’t drink soda we decline the  drink package for them. We drink we want it and it has never been an issue 

• Like 1

I was talking on the phone to an NCL representative, we are a cabin of 3 adults, (2 parents and 1 adult child), I asked if we had the free drink package would we have to purchase it for my daughter and was told, absolutely not.

Also I asked if we had to pay gratuities on the drinks package and was told, no you don't pay gratuities on the Free at Sea drinks package.

I hope she has her facts correct....?

1 minute ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

I was talking on the phone to an NCL representative, we are a cabin of 3 adults, (2 parents and 1 adult child), I asked if we had the free drink package would we have to purchase it for my daughter and was told, absolutely not.

Also I asked if we had to pay gratuities on the drinks package and was told, no you don't pay gratuities on the Free at Sea drinks package.

I'm not in the UK, but from what I understand gratuities for Free at Sea are usually included when booking in the UK.  They are not included when booking in the US.  I'm not sure about other locations.

3 hours ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

Yes, that is all correct in the UK. The first part is correct everywhere.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, zerooveride said:

I do think there is also a way to only have one person in a cabin to have the beverage package. Someone on here once mentioned that if there is a legitimate reason one person can't have the package (i would think: pregnant, medical condition, recovering alcoholic), you could call NCL and only have it for one person. It might have been in the thread about the Premium Plus package.

Anyone know more?

Yes! I was told by NCL if one has a Dr.s note sent to I think it was customer Relations before final payment, they can opt out. My sister does not drink due to religion & this is what she was told to do. Also, for recovering alcoholics too.

3 hours ago, crystalaziza said:

Yes! I was told by NCL if one has a Dr.s note sent to I think it was customer Relations before final payment, they can opt out. My sister does not drink due to religion & this is what she was told to do. Also, for recovering alcoholics too.

I thought that I had read it somewhere. I'm glad NCL is understanding of these individuals.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 7:24 PM, Cruiser933 said:

I have done this before, it’s possible! 

22 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Does anyone have a list of wines available on the Premium (regular) Beverage Package? The pdf just says “over 20 wines by the glass.”  

I believe that a list isn't posted on the NCL website because the selection might vary greatly from ship to ship and/or timing of your cruise!  You can, however, look at assorted reviews with photos of menus to get a general idea of selections available.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Follow up question on drink package for 3rd person as child. Currently, the free drink package faq showed it covered for passenger 1-8 if aged over 21 (pay 20% grats), however, child will not get soda package as 3 or 4 passenger. 

However, the fine print also mention if 1 or 2 passage are children, then they will get soda package. 

I am a bit confused. So let's say family of 2 adults and 1 child, could I swap the child as 2nd passenger (so he receives soda package), then an adult as 3rd passenger, which he/she would still comp for drink pacakge (given paying the 20% grat). 

Thanks