South American to Chilean Fjords cruise beginning in Buenos Aires

MSEm

Is there really any advantage to being on the starboard (right side;  odd numbered cabins) of the ship when cruising south from Buenos Aires to Santiago, Chile?

At this time I have choose between the Cabin category I prefer on the port side or a lower category on the Starboard side.

Thanks for any information on this cruise and cabin location.

48 minutes ago, MSEm said:

Is there really any advantage to being on the starboard (right side;  odd numbered cabins) of the ship when cruising south from Buenos Aires to Santiago, Chile?

At this time I have choose between the Cabin category I prefer on the port side or a lower category on the Starboard side.

For our upcoming December Viking transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to San Juan, we chose a port cabin to, hopefully, maximize sun exposure on our balcony.  Others chose a starboard cabin because they wanted to maximize photography opportunities without sun glare.  If my choice was between a starboard cabin in my preferred cabin category or a port cabin in a lower category, my preferred cabin category would have trumped the port vs. starboard choice.  I figured I could always go outside on a deck to see one side or the other if I didn't like the view from my balcony.  Others like a starboard cabin since Viking usually docks on the starboard side.  Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference.  🙂   

1 hour ago, MSEm said:

Yes we thought there was.  (We went the other way around and had PS cabin.)  Land and scenery is always your view and some of the best views were early in the AM.  Went out to balcony in our jammies.

33 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

(We went the other way around and had PS cabin.)  Land and scenery is always your view and some of the best views were early in the AM.  Went out to balcony in our jammies.

So were you on the port side for your Santiago to Buenos Aires?  We (like MSEm) are sailing from Buenos Aires. 

Different opinion.  We did the opposite way on starboard side and we’re at first disappointed.

however to us it made NO difference.  When at sea you are too far from land to see.  When close like Cape Horn and Chilean Fjords,  you are up on deck.  In the AM, the beautiful passages and fjords are on both sides and we also enjoyed them from our balcony.  Again, we were on starboard side Valpo to BA.

so, this opinion says don’t worry - either side is fine.  Unless you never go up on deck.  I’d encourage you to see the amazing sights from Explorers Lounge area!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Different opinion.  We did the opposite way on starboard side and we’re at first disappointed.

however to us it made NO difference.  When at sea you are too far from land to see.  When close like Cape Horn and Chilean Fjords,  you are up on deck.  In the AM, the beautiful passages and fjords are on both sides and we also enjoyed them from our balcony.  Again, we were on starboard side Valpo to BA.

so, this opinion says don’t worry - either side is fine.  Unless you never go up on deck.  I’d encourage you to see the amazing sights from Explorers Lounge area!

Agreed. Our cabin was also on the starboard side sailing south from Valparaiso. When we wanted a different view, we took one flight of stairs up to the Explorers Lounge. Finding a place in the Lounge with a great view was never a problem -- and there were more important things to worry about, such as how many waffles to have at Mamsens on any particular morning. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Ah but you were fortunate to sail through Glacier Alley during full daylight.  We neared the Glacier Espana right at dawn.  If I hadn't pulled open the drapes we would have slept through it like many people did.  Plus I liked being landside for seeing the tall mountains from our room.  But you are right, you go to the Explorers Lounge for the main scenic events or the outside decks.

3 hours ago, MSEm said:

As I said we liked landside for our direction but I think I would choose a bigger cabin for such a long cruise.

4 hours ago, MSEm said:

Not really. Most of the at-sea days you will be sailing in open ocean.  In the Beagle Channel and the fjords of Chile, there is land to be seen from both sides (unless you are fogged in, a possibility). For the ports that are closer together, you will be sailing at night.

Thanks for all the replies . As DaveJS states about the waffles; maybe i should look at which cabins gets me closer to Mamsans and  eat breakfast there.

I do like the idea of a larger cabin for this long of a cruise.  Our South America to Chilean Fjords will be April 2023.

I just grabbed a PV3 that opened on our 2022 Trade Winds  (now Sold Out) cruise. It is actually a PV3 GTY.  Maybe we will be blessed by the upgrade goddess. When I booked 4 months ago, there was 1 DV2 cabin and 1 Explores Suite.  We really like the extra space in the PV over the DV cabins.

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MSEm said:

Thanks for all the replies . As DaveJS states about the waffles; maybe i should look at which cabins gets me closer to Mamsans and  eat breakfast there.

I do like the idea of a larger cabin for this long of a cruise.  Our South America to Chilean Fjords will be April 2023.

I just grabbed a PV3 that opened on our 2022 Trade Winds  (now Sold Out) cruise. It is actually a PV3 GTY.  Maybe we will be blessed by the upgrade goddess. When I booked 4 months ago, there was 1 DV2 cabin and 1 Explores Suite.  We really like the extra space in the PV over the DV cabins.

Thank you for all of the wonderful replies.

Wonderful, MSEm!   Which Trade Routes in 22 are you on?  We are on the April 7-21 cruise Barcelona to Bergen.  Glad you got that PV3 !!

CCWineLoaver

We are  booked on the April 7, 2022 sailing also. We like the size of the PV over the DV cabins.  PV has a much better location for the closet. Looking forward to seeing Madrid and other cities in Spain.  We made 1 trip to Spain; July 1979 for the running of the Bulls in Pamploma, Spain and yes DH did run with the bulls.

• Like 1