Question about tipping for room service

jmfdr

10 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Anyone want to take on the dress code and jeans in the dining room!😇

Honestly, I do think that we will love Viking and maybe will cruise with some of you one day/😊

Jan  

Jan,

In order to take on dress code and jeans one needs a strong glass of Kentucky Bourbon, maybe two. You can find the dress code on Viking's website and if you are still ready after some bourbon, Google jeans in the search box. It makes the Wildcats vs Cardinals look tame.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

Jan,

In order to take on dress code and jeans one needs a strong glass of Kentucky Bourbon, maybe two. You can find the dress code on Viking's website and if you are still ready after some bourbon, Google jeans in the search box. It makes the Wildcats vs Cardinals look tame.

Cheers!  Haha.  We may come barefoot into the dining room but know not to wear jeans.Thanks for the testing advice you gave me on the the covid  thread.

47 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Cheers!  Haha.  We may come barefoot into the dining room but know not to wear jeans.Thanks for the testing advice you gave me on the the covid  thread.

My pleasure. Wild Health has been engaged by the state to do free testing and is located in a number of places. All you need is a social security number and to live in the Bluegrass State. Every day the tests are sent to a lab in Lexington. I have always received results back within 24 hours. Because of work, I have to test regularly.  In the Vill, they and the Walmart Drive through are the fastest that I have seen. Hardly no one knows about them so you can get same day appointments.  Watch out for Urgent Care testing. Several posters on different sites have gotten COVID waiting to be tested.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jmfdr said:

Thank you so much for this response.  We have always done pretty much the same on other cruise lines.  I just wanted to confirm that this was in order on Viking.

This is the first time I have ever started a thread on any CC post and had no idea that it would open such a debate.  I honestly did not mean to start a conflict about the cultural differences or percentages of tipping.  Sorry.

Jan

You get the picture. The responses to your already answered question will go on for days.  The Big Three are jeans in the Restaurant (eg what constitute jeans), tipping and COVID testing. Thankfully the debates over vaccinations ended with the Viking's requirement. Welcome aboard!

13 hours ago, Squawkman said:

KB - keep in mind the minimum wage for tipped workers in the US is $2.13/hr (£1.56). Many states are a little higher.

Wow - not only unbelievable, but totally sad that a developed country would accept that low level of remuneration in the 21st Century.

Driving past a McDonalds today and they had a big sign - Hiring full time positions - $18/hr. Even McDonalds pay more than the BC minimum wage, which is $15.20/hr.

18 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow - not only unbelievable, but totally sad that a developed country would accept that low level of remuneration in the 21st Century.

Driving past a McDonalds today and they had a big sign - Hiring full time positions - $18/hr. Even McDonalds pay more than the BC minimum wage, which is $15.20/hr.

That’s US$, not CDN$, right?

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

It was when we were heading to Whistler, so it was Can $18/hr, so between US $14-15, at current exchange rates.

If anyone is interested, the legal minimum for any employee in the UK (if age over 23) is £8.91 so about 12 US dollars. Health care is paid for by taxation, so no need to buy insurance, minimum 28 days leave a year (pro rata for part time workers) Any tips are, by law, on top of wages, not part of them. 

Hence UK people don't tip by any automatic amount in the UK, or tip routinely as we would when somewhere where tips are part of wages.

Not saying that one way is better/worse, just different, and explaining why UK people think tipping unusual, and hopefully saving us from accusations of miserlyness🙂

• Like 2

Not wanting to beat this poor dead horse, but the US Fed govt min tipped cash wage is $2.13 but lots of states required the employer to pay the state's minimum wage before tips. In California the state minimum wage is $13 to $14 depending on the number of employees. 

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

5 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

Not wanting to beat this poor dead horse, but the US Fed govt min tipped cash wage is $2.13 but lots of states required the employer to pay the state's minimum wage before tips. In California the state minimum wage is $13 to $14 depending on the number of employees. 

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/state/minimum-wage/tipped

Out of curiosity, do employers in California incorporate the extra for wages into their prices on the menu, or do customers tip as usual? 

2 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Out of curiosity, do employers in California incorporate the extra for wages into their prices on the menu, or do customers tip as usual? 

In answer to the first question, based on the prices for eating out (from memory mostly due to covid) yes and yes to the tipping too. We usually tip 20% (easy arithmetic - I left my fancy math brain at work when I retired) in cash to the wait staff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Yes, California has by far the highest minimum wages for tipped positions.

However, customers in our experience tip as usual (20 percent or more).  Many of the restaurants use Square or other payment processing devices where you just "check" the box:  18, 20, 25 percent tip and it calculates it all for you.