Question about tipping for room service

jmfdr

We are new to Viking and have a question about room service tipping.  On other cruise lines we always give the person delivering our room service food a tip.  Is this customary on Viking?  Generally the only room service we use is for morning coffee/tea. 

Because Viking staff are paid a wage and we tip at the end of the cruise for all of the staff, we did not tip room service on our first cruise.  However on subsequent Viking cruises, we began tipping a small amount each time.  Whether we did or not made no difference in the speed at which we received our order nor the friendless of the deliverer.  There is quite a contrast and range of opinion as to how much one should tip ranging from $1 to $10 or $15.  Remember this is room service not table service at a restaurant.

• Like 1

Being British tipping is not something we routinely do, unless we are in the US. For us it's a way of thanking people who've gone above and beyond, not a standard practice if someone has just done their job. (Interestingly, we had a conversation with barstaff in DC that suggested that nobody is bothered if UK people don't tip, as its not in our culture to do so, but US people are expected to)

As the daily gratuities are allways included in the quoted cost of the cruise, we just leave it at that. We don't tip anyone individually.

I think its fairer that way so the engineering side of it don't miss out. I'd rather run out of ice in the bar than run out of oil in the engines, particularly as our next cruise is to Norway. 😊

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For visitors to the US the tip system of a dollar a drink and tip same amount as tax on food is an unwritten rule that is unknown in most of the world. Hence some not knowing about it, or knowing to tip but not how much. 

In Britain, most of europe and the antipodes the amount on the menu is the amount you pay. Any service charge is a tip and is optional, even if it has already been added to the bill

Edited by KBs mum

23 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

For visitors to the US the tip system of a dollar a drink and tip same amount as tax on food is an unwritten rule that is unknown in most of the world. Hence some not knowing about it, or knowing to tip but not how much. 

In Britain, most of europe and the antipodes the amount on the menu is the amount you pay. Any service charge is a tip and is optional, even if it has already been added to the bill

Given that the tax rates on restaurant meals in the USA are almost always under 10%, that's a pretty low number as advice.  Same with dollar a drink, when the drink is over $10.

Computing 15% of anything isn't too tough.  Move the decimal point over one digit, then add half of that number.  On $40, it becomes $4 plus half that ($2) for $6.  If you want to give more, nudge it up, and moving and doubling equals $20.

And at the real extreme, just pull out your phone and use the calculator.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Given that the tax rates on restaurant meals in the USA are almost always under 10%, that's a pretty low number as advice.  Same with dollar a drink, when the drink is over $10.

Computing 15% of anything isn't too tough.  Move the decimal point over one digit, then add half of that number.  On $40, it becomes $4 plus half that ($2) for $6.  If you want to give more, nudge it up, and moving and doubling equals $20.

And at the real extreme, just pull out your phone and use the calculator.

Not prepared to argue amounts, the figures I use I got from the staff in a bar in central DC, they of the discussion about UK v US tipping habits.  They are academic to the subject of tips on a Viking cruise. 

My point is that if you want to tip on board leave the service charge in place. No need to add anything else, but you can if you want to increase the amount of tip. 

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

Not prepared to argue amounts,

Except you just did make that suggestion, when you added "Hence some not knowing about it, or knowing to tip but not how much."

1 hour ago, KBs mum said:

the figures I use I got from the staff in a bar in central DC, they of the discussion about UK v US tipping habits. 

I would suspect they gave those numbers in an effort to get ANY kind of tip from UK patrons.  I would say that leaving a less than 10% tip in America would be viewed as more of an insult than leaving nothing.

I continue to be amazed how folks will spend many thousands of dollars on a cruise and then nickel and dime afterwards to save a few bucks.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Except you just did make that suggestion, when you added "Hence some not knowing about it, or knowing to tip but not how much."

I would suspect they gave those numbers in an effort to get ANY kind of tip from UK patrons.  I would say that leaving a less than 10% tip in America would be viewed as more of an insult than leaving nothing.

I continue to be amazed how folks will spend many thousands of dollars on a cruise and then nickel and dime afterwards to save a few bucks.

Any chance you can try to stick to the subject of the original question, rather than go off on side arguments? 

Also I don't mind if somebody disagrees with my opinion on something, or thinks I have said something that is factually incorrect as long as they explain why or give a sensible source in a polite and civil manner. 

You appear to be trying to pick a fight with me rather than help the OP with their question. You also tried to do this on a previous thread. As your behavior resembles that of a troll I am no longer willing to engage with you. 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

OP, sorry I let myself be sidetracked, I was trying to explain that tipping conventions are different around the world, and that we pay the 'daily gratuity' and nothing to individuals unless somebody goes above and beyond. 

Also that I am aware that in the US tipping is automatic,  but this is not so in lots of other countries. You will be on a Norwegian flagged ship in water belonging to various countries and international, with a crew from lots of different countries. The US dollar is the on board currency and menu and entertainment are designed to suit the majority of passengers, who are US. 

Hence why we gave up trying to work it all out, and decided to go with the gratuity amount that is included in the cost for UK passengers. 

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

Not prepared to argue amounts, the figures I use I got from the staff in a bar in central DC,

The problem is that the advice you did give is not good advice and we aren't arguing with you but rather making it very clear to all those who do read it that it is no longer applicable in today's market.

OP--I don't think there is any expectation that you tip for room service delivery.

But from what I have read, the majority of people do tip room service on Viking. 

We do--usually just $2-3 for a small order. Probably $5-10 if we order a full meal with a bottle of wine.

The servers seem genuinely surprised and pleased with any gratuity.

If you normally tip on other lines for room service, you would probably feel comfortable doing the same on Viking since their gratuity structure is similar to other lines. 

31 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

OP--I don't think there is any expectation that you tip for room service delivery.

But from what I have read, the majority of people do tip room service on Viking. 

We do--usually just $2-3 for a small order. Probably $5-10 if we order a full meal with a bottle of wine.

If you normally tip on other lines for room service, you would probably feel comfortable doing the same on Viking since their gratuity structure is similar to other lines. 

Thank you so much for this response.  We have always done pretty much the same on other cruise lines.  I just wanted to confirm that this was in order on Viking.

This is the first time I have ever started a thread on any CC post and had no idea that it would open such a debate.  I honestly did not mean to start a conflict about the cultural differences or percentages of tipping.  Sorry.

Jan

Peregrina651 Fair enough, I accept what you say and that tipping norms in the US have changed since we were last there in 2019. I simply said why we tipped as we did when somebody queried the amounts. 

I wasn't attempting to advise the OP (or anybody else) on tipping in the US, they live there, I don't. I let myself get involved in a side discussion, which, as far as I can work out was an attempt to pick an argument. My mistake. 

The point I was making is that tipping norms are different around the world and that there is no need to pay anything on top of the set daily gratuity charge on Viking ships, which, other than the new Mississippi ships, operate outside the US. There is no need to worry about tipping individuals unless you particularly want to for some reason. 

Tipping seems to be an emotive subject for people from the US where tipping is normal and expected. In the UK and lots of other countries it is normal not to tip automatically so we try to get it right when in countries where it is, but otherwise don't worry about it. (I work in an environment where in the US tipping is normal, in the UK it is not. We would be surprised if someone tipped, and if they did, the cash would probably be spent on baked goods for the staff break room) 

As I said, I'm happy to engage in discussion, or to be corrected as long as it is all done in a civil manner. 

Again, apologies to the OP for the side debate. 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Thank you so much for this response.  We have always done pretty much the same on other cruise lines.  I just wanted to confirm that this was in order on Viking.

This is the first time I have ever started a thread on any CC post and had no idea that it would open such a debate.  I honestly did not mean to start a conflict about the cultural differences or percentages of tipping.  Sorry.

Jan

Jan--you did nothing wrong. 

Tipping is one of those topics that can get contentious, kind of like dress codes-lol.

Do what you feel comfortable with.

I hope you enjoy Viking!

56 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Glad to hear this. It’s in line with  what we were planning to do, on top of the prepaid gratuities. 

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

Tipping is one of those topics that can get contentious, kind of like dress codes-lol.

I hope you enjoy Viking!

33 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Peregrina651 Fair enough, I accept what you say and that tipping norms in the US have changed since we were last there in 2019. I simply said why we tipped as we did when somebody queried the amounts. 

I wasn't attempting to advise the OP (or anybody else) on tipping in the US, they live there, I don't. I let myself get involved in a side discussion, which, as far as I can work out was an attempt to pick an argument. My mistake. 

The point I was making is that tipping norms are different around the world and that there is no need to pay anything on top of the set daily gratuity charge on Viking ships, which, other than the new Mississippi ships, operate outside the US. There is no need to worry about tipping individuals unless you particularly want to for some reason. 

Tipping seems to be an emotive subject for people from the US where tipping is normal and expected. In the UK and lots of other countries it is normal not to tip automatically so we try to get it right when in countries where it is, but otherwise don't worry about it. (I work in an environment where in the US tipping is normal, in the UK it is not. We would be surprised if someone tipped, and if they did, the cash would probably be spent on baked goods for the staff break room) 

As I said, I'm happy to engage in discussion, or to be corrected as long as it is all done in a civil manner. 

Again, apologies to the OP for the side debate. 

You question was most appropriate. If you want to wreak havoc just ask about jeans in the Main Dining Room!

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

The problem is that the advice you did give is not good advice and we aren't arguing with you but rather making it very clear to all those who do read it that it is no longer applicable in today's market.

Thank you.

Tipping threads never end well.

All one can do is share what you do for tipping.

Ignore anyone who tries to tell you you’re “ wrong”.

I follow CC for input, not decisions.

I’m just happy to be cruising, so I ‘ll be happy to share my good fortune with the crew!! 😉👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, broker1217 said:

I hope you enjoy Viking!

wow, I had no idea tipping was such an issue.  We lived in Europe for about 8 years and really enjoyed the tip/tax included system for restaurants and shopping. So we do understand both systems---no fault with either.  I thought that I asked an innocent question.

Anyone want to take on the dress code and jeans in the dining room!😇

Honestly, I do think that we will love Viking and maybe will cruise with some of you one day/😊

Jan  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Tipping threads never end well.

All one can do is share what you do for tipping.

Ignore anyone who tries to tell you you’re “ wrong”.

I follow CC for input, not decisions.

I’m just happy to be cruising, so I ‘ll be happy to share my good fortune with the crew!! 😉👍

Understand totally.  Thanks,

Jan