Tipping in the restaurants

ramdoggiesmom

dear freestylenovice.... i'm truly sorry, but i have absolutely no idea what that means.

maybe it has significance in the netherlands, but if someone performs a service for  you either on board a cruise ship, hotel, car wash, restaurant, you should leave a tip.  and on a cruise ship, since you will be seeing the same servers during the course of the sailing, a tip at the beginning will make you recognizable to that particular individual. once they know you, you, it might help.

if you ever come to the u.s. and visit las vegas, you would be surprised and amazed what a $20 bill will accomplish.  it's affectionally called "the las vegas handshake"

i have found throughout my travels,(and we have been on 17 cruises with ncl) since 2010, many places throughout the us and mexico, and everywhere we have traveled, most people si habla $20.

except for italy, where if you tip, they insist  on euros

5 minutes ago, complawyer said:

If someone performs a service for  you either on board a cruise ship, hotel, car wash, restaurant, you should leave a tip

Not in  Japan. Tipping is frown upon. You need to understand not everyone is from a country where tipping is part of their culture. It is why DSC are in place so that it balances those who do tip with those that don't. Though they can be removed from the bill.

I know about the $20 Las Vegas handshake and its hit and miss. Sometimes you score. Other times nothing comes from it. It's a gamble. You may win or you may lose.

Tipping should be recognising great service not what you might get in return.

• Like 1

trust me, yinster, very rarely will a $20 be turned down in vegas.  i havent seen it fail yet, and we've been going to vegas for over 50 years. 

i disagree with you on one issue,though. i believe tipping should recognize service, not just great service, and if you go through the prior threads, you will see that (at least as far as a bartender goes) people have commented that when they tip a bartender, they get to know them, might get a free drink, or quicker service.

while i agree, tipping on board is up to each individual, but we tip all the waiters and waitresses that serve us, regardless of which restaurant we are in, whichever bartender serves us, if i'm doing better then average at the blackjack table, i will place an additional $5 bet for the dealer, and in my humble opinion, it goes without saying, your cabin steward, butler and concierge.

i realize that philosophies on tipping may be different in the u.k, throughout europe and asia, but on a prior cruise beginning in hong kong and ending in singapore, we tipped an the servers were delighted.

38 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i disagree with you on one issue,though. i believe tipping should recognize service, not just great service.

That's ok to disagree. Personally for me, I would only tip on great service. Tipping someone just for doing their job is not something I was bought up to do yet I would say I do tip accordingly. Probably more so than others in the UK. 

When we cruise, we always have a separate budget for tips as well as spending money. 

Truly believe anyone who gets tipped will be grateful for it.

• Like 3

your last sentence highlights the entire issue. anyone who gets tipped will be grateful, so it underscores my point that the people working on the ship should be tipped, to supplement a very modest income.. Even if we get crumby service, my wife gives me the "EVIL EYE" if i even consider not leaving a tip ( this is  on land restaurants not on any cruise ship).

one last note, for people who dont or wont tip the cruise ship staff... youre spending a great deal of money for a cruise, assuming its only a seven day cruise, and you eat in the specialty restaurants 4 days  and the mdr  the other 3, and have drinks regularly, i dont think spending an extra 2-3 hundred dollars as tips is extreme or unwarranted.

and yinster, i hope we get the opportunity to sail on the same cruise one day, along with sthrngary

as i always say, "nuff said"

On 10/22/2021 at 2:55 PM, ramdoggiesmom said:

I guess I’m getting old and forgetful 😳Although we’ve cruised 20 + times, neither my husband or I can remember if tips are included when eating in places such as Cagneys on the dinner package. We’ve always left tips in the past in cash for our waiters so I’m assuming they’re not included. Am I correct?

You are incorrect.  When you get the Free at Sea dining package or you purchase a dining package, you will pay the 20% gratuity upfront.  There is no need to tip additionally at the restaurant.  I consider a 20% tip more than reasonable amount.  If you want to tip more than that 20% it's your choice.

Edited by Oakman58
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

dear freestylenovice.... i'm truly sorry, but i have absolutely no idea what that means.

That all tipping threads/topics go sideways at a certain point. No matter how good people’s intentions are, they never end well. :classic_mellow: And those wise words belong on a Dutch wisdom tile. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

freestylenovice. maybe i'm just getting old and or senile, but how can tipping someone who serves you, and how can  someone with the intentions of tipping how is it possible these will not end well? 

sorry, i still do not/can not see or understand the point you're trying to make.

it's really quite simple, and shouldnt even be open for debate. if you want to tip, do so. if you dont want to tip and believe the daily charges are sufficient as tips, dont tip. no one can be either right or wrong on this issue, and i guess the dutch wisdom tile has greater wisdom than i have.    

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

freestylenovice. maybe i'm just getting old and or senile, but how can tipping someone who serves you, and how can  someone with the intentions of tipping how is it possible these will not end well? 

sorry, i still do not/can not see or understand the point you're trying to make.

it's really quite simple, and shouldnt even be open for debate. if you want to tip, do so. if you dont want to tip and believe the daily charges are sufficient as tips, dont tip. no one can be either right or wrong on this issue, and i guess the dutch wisdom tile has greater wisdom than i have.    

The threads or topics as some call them (like this one) about tipping here on CC never end well.

No matter what I personally think and without questioning the tipping itself; with such a personal thing as tipping, giving all the different backgrounds, demographics, nationalities, cultures and whatsoever here on CC it's just impossible to reach a common ground or consensus I think, especially pretty anonymously on the internet.

Different strokes for different folks, to agree to disagree, etc.

So usually these threads escalate and never end good, well. I can't explain it anyway else? :classic_smile:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ramdoggiesmom said:

I know. Sorry.  I was hoping for just a simple yes or no answer. On the up side, at least I didn’t ask how much should we tip 😂

And as you were told, tip however much you want, to whomever you want, any amount you want.  Each of us have a different combination of those three parameters that we go by.  WHht is right for you is what you think is right for you.

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And as you were told, tip however much you want, to whomever you want, any amount you want.  Each of us have a different combination of those three parameters that we go by.  WHht is right for you is what you think is right for you.

Oh good lord lighten up. I simply asked if the gratuity was added automatically to the dinner bill. I assure you I already understand that I can (& do) tip anyone I want, any amount I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. 

24 minutes ago, ramdoggiesmom said:

Oh good lord lighten up. I simply asked if the gratuity was added automatically to the dinner bill. I assure you I already understand that I can (& do) tip anyone I want, any amount I want, whenever I want, wherever I want. 

Someone who starts a tipping thread has no standing to tell someone else to lighten up.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:21 PM, complawyer said:

I agree that it really should be that simple. Except for the people who want to throw money around and brag about it and then guilt others who don't. You have already said 3 times on this thread alone that people "should" tip extra on their cruise. Then you turn around and say that no one is right or wrong. If either way is acceptable (and I agree wholeheartedly that it is) there's no reason to tell people what they "should" or "should not" do. It's their choice, simple as that. I do get tired of the guilt trips for people who think that $450 for tips between two people for a week isn't enough. I've never in my life done a land trip where I was paying as I went and spent $450 in tips. That's $300 per day in food and drinks. We would try to stick closer to $100 per day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I agree that it really should be that simple. Except for the people who want to throw money around and brag about it and then guilt others who don't. You have already said 3 times on this thread alone that people "should" tip extra on their cruise. Then you turn around and say that no one is right or wrong. If either way is acceptable (and I agree wholeheartedly that it is) there's no reason to tell people what they "should" or "should not" do. It's their choice, simple as that. I do get tired of the guilt trips for people who think that $450 for tips between two people for a week isn't enough. I've never in my life done a land trip where I was paying as I went and spent $450 in tips. That's $300 per day in food and drinks. We would try to stick closer to $100 per day. 

You can only guilt soemone who is willing to be guilted.

cant begin to even imagine this, why would this topic even come up, much less between people that dont know each other. maybe in a restaurant whenyou tip and someone sitting next to you asks about it, otherwise, it aint  happening. i dont think other than a hello or some other type of acknowledgement, random cruisers even  speak to each other

or in the alternative, maybe i'm just anti-social