Alaska dining

romandog

Even though we live in Alaska we have done a number of Alaska itineraries through the years.  We also spend, or at least spent prior to the pandemic, 60 to 90 nights on a Celebrity ship annually.  Evening dress on the Alaskan sailings are definitely much more casual than on other itineraries, with the possible exception of the Antarctic sailings.

For Evening Chic nights, the dress code specifies (but does not define) "designer jeans".

Women should feel comfortable wearing :

A cocktail dress
Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater
Optional sport coat or blazer

Non-designer jeans are fine for Smart Casual evenings:

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

55 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes "designer jeans" are specifically included in the casual dress code.    There has never been a definition of designer.   

Some people ( men and women) pay extra for designer holes in their jeans.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 1025cruise said:

Just because the ship is in Alaska, the dress code doesn't change. Now, whether or not you'll be asked to change is a different story.

Why would they be asked to change, as jeans (Smart Casual) and designer jeans (Evening Chic) are included within the dress code?

• Like 2

On our cruise in Alaska, the dress was definitely more casual.  The dress code was long sleeved dress shirts.  I had only brought one long sleeved but several short sleeved.  Nothing was said to me.  People were coming to dinner with hiking boots and jeans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesar said:

On our cruise in Alaska, the dress was definitely more casual.  The dress code was long sleeved dress shirts.  I had only brought one long sleeved but several short sleeved.  Nothing was said to me.  People were coming to dinner with hiking boots and jeans.

Yes, my concern in Alaska was to bring layers of clothing, dressed within code but not concerned about being fancy. 

In Alaska  I wore my Le Kirklands by Costco.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, keesar said:

The dress code doesn't specify long sleeved shirts, even for Evening Chic, and while hiking boots aren't commonly seen at night in the MDR, they aren't prohibited. 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

The dress code doesn't specify long sleeved shirts, even for Evening Chic, and while hiking boots aren't commonly seen at night in the MDR, they aren't prohibited. 

In the Celebrity Today,  the suggested attire for gentlemen was long sleeve dress shirts.  Frankly, I was surprised to read that.  I guess they did not want cruisers to be cold in the dining areas.  

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, keesar said:

In the Celebrity Today,  the suggested attire for gentlemen was long sleeve dress shirts.  Frankly, I was surprised to read that.  I guess they did not want cruisers to be cold in the dining areas.  

Interesting. As in the recent case of the passenger who had her curling iron seized, some ships like to create their own rules.