Britannia dining room experience in 2021

Underwatr

With the constraining COVID protocols in Caribbean ports we are reconsidering whether we will remain booked aboard QM2's Christmas voyage out of NYC.

I haven't seen much discussion of how much the experience will change in the Britannia room. Can someone fill me in?

In normal times we'd be looking for a table of 6-8 both at dinner and breakfast, and our booking requests a table for 8 at second seating. Are they still assigning couples to larger tables with other passengers, or has COVID caused all seating to be by individual booking group? I.e. will we, traveling as a couple, automatically be seated by ourselves? (Is that even logistically possible?

I'm also assuming that QM2 will continue to have two traditional seatings although I've read that second seating is now "anytime" (on QE?).

We did that as part of the normal registration requests, yes; most recently within the last couple of months when I added my friend to the booking.

If it otherwise depends on us and others making a unique special request I presume it won't work out as intended.

So, business as usual?

I'm inferring from that you're saying that if we've requested, say a table for 8 in second seating, that that request will be handled in much the same way as it has always been handled.  I had thought that with masking and distance mandates there would be hesitation to seat passengers with those not in their traveling group.

The CDC's Conditional Sailing Order is expected to expire in November, but it includes such requirements as

• "The cruise ship operator must meet standards for hand hygiene, face coverings and social distancing for passengers and crew"
  • "The cruise ship operator must modify meal service and entertainment venues to facilitate social distancing."

Recognizing that Cunard hasn't been subject to the CSO and that the CSO is expected to have expired before Cunard ships call on or board in US ports, I'm specifically wondering how the Britannia dining experience has changed aboard recent Cunard voyages (I think so far that only means Queen Elizabeth) and more specifically how it will change for our upcoming voyage.

Hasn't there been some discussion that second seating will be Anytime Dining in Britannia? That suggests that diners on second seating might have different tables and different waiters from night to night.
Will diners still be seated at shared tables, if requested, during Britannia breakfast and lunch?

As a rising Diamond CWC member I can't help feeling that there should be someone I can directly ask.

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

So, business as usual?

I'm inferring from that you're saying that if we've requested, say a table for 8 in second seating, that that request will be handled in much the same way as it has always been handled.  I had thought that with masking and distance mandates there would be hesitation to seat passengers with those not in their traveling group.

The CDC's Conditional Sailing Order is expected to expire in November, but it includes such requirements as

• "The cruise ship operator must meet standards for hand hygiene, face coverings and social distancing for passengers and crew"
  • "The cruise ship operator must modify meal service and entertainment venues to facilitate social distancing."

Recognizing that Cunard hasn't been subject to the CSO and that the CSO is expected to have expired before Cunard ships call on or board in US ports, I'm specifically wondering how the Britannia dining experience has changed aboard recent Cunard voyages (I think so far that only means Queen Elizabeth) and more specifically how it will change for our upcoming voyage.

Hasn't there been some discussion that second seating will be Anytime Dining in Britannia? That suggests that diners on second seating might have different tables and different waiters from night to night.
Will diners still be seated at shared tables, if requested, during Britannia breakfast and lunch?

As a rising Diamond CWC member I can't help feeling that there should be someone I can directly ask.

Know they are in the UK but try….

ukworld.club@cunard.co.uk

As for their help and quote your WC number.  They will possibly forward your missive to the US or give you an alternative address.

@Underwatr, I note this wording on Cunard's Your Cunard experience page. I believe this is relatively recent wording. The page says it's current as of October 11, 2021.

"You can dine with guests traveling in other staterooms if you wish to but please note, shared tables will only be available when requested, otherwise you will have a table to yourself and your traveling group."

Sorry, I can't shed any light on the mechanism for making such a request (i.e. done the usual way via My Cunard, once on board or other). But it does look like they are no longer restricting tables to only passengers traveling together (via linked bookings) anymore.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

try….

ukworld.club@cunard.co.uk

Here at https://www.cunard.com/en-us/cunard-world-club they offer worldclub@cunard.com or (800) 728-6273 as methods to contact CWC (for record updates, but perhaps it's a foot in the door). I may call the 800 number tomorrow to ask about matters.

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I note this wording on Cunard's Your Cunard experience page. I believe this is relatively recent wording. The page says it's current as of October 11, 2021.

That looks fairly definitive. I suspect that requests for shared tables depend on identification of specific other guests (which has been available in the past to combine seating among guests traveling under multiple booking numbers).

48 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Does any one know what happens if you share a table and one of the other diners tests postive for Covid? I am keen to get back to table sharing but not at the risk of havng to isolate on board. Thanks

In September they were taking cabin numbers for breakfast and lunch so I am guessing if you are sat near someone who tests positive you will be told it isolate, but for how long is the big question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanky Lad said:

In September they were taking cabin numbers for breakfast and lunch so I am guessing if you are sat near someone who tests positive you will be told it isolate, but for how long is the big question.

They did with us in August but as far as my memory goes they have always done that for breakfast and lunch in Britannia. We were second sitting for dinner so basically Anytime dining after 7pm so thought they did it just for that reason not any other. When I have gone on P&O and Princess they have always asked for cabin number.

Edited by majortom10

12 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Thanks. I guess it will depend on the rules at the time.