Neptune Suite pricing

molemaui

We've sailed HAL twice in Neptune Suites. (11/19 and 2/20) In reviewing costs which included either provided or purchased drink packages and internet, our average cost per day was $657 and $638. I felt that to be pretty reasonable for the product provided. Both cruises were excellent. 

Wanting to cruise HAL again, I've reviewed current Neptune pricing and find pricing to border on the ridiculous averaging anywhere from $885-$1200 a day with the same inclusions. Even with a 15% inflation factor, that would only bring our costs to $755/night. As much as we enjoyed our HAL cruises, HAL is not a $1000/night cruise line. 

By contrast, we are sailing Silversea in December. Totally all inclusive (champagne instead of Prosecco etc., internet, outstanding dining, etc.) and our cost per night  will be $817. We completed a Celebrity cruise last month (smaller suite to be fair) and our cost was $750/night which included premium drinks, internet, on board credit, private dining room and all gratuities) 

Really want to sail HAL again but not at this prices!

• Like 3

I have not had the pleasure of cruising in a Neptune Suite, but have enjoyed several Signature Suites and I have to agree that prices are outrageous for many cruises across all cabin categories.  I believe that it's due to all of those FCCs out there as well as HAL trying to see just what people will pay.

I've got 4 HAL cruises booked currently, and I feel like I got good deals on them, but those are very few and far between these days.  I am very interested in a 26 night itinerary on Oosterdam in 2023, but with the current asking price - No thank you, HAL.  We have plenty of time to monitor pricing for this cruise and I will not book it unless it becomes reasonable.

Edited by Taters
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, molemaui said:

We've sailed HAL twice in Neptune Suites. (11/19 and 2/20) In reviewing costs which included either provided or purchased drink packages and internet, our average cost per day was $657 and $638. I felt that to be pretty reasonable for the product provided. Both cruises were excellent. 

I am assuming this is pp pricing and not per couple?  

23 minutes ago, molemaui said:

Wanting to cruise HAL again, I've reviewed current Neptune pricing and find pricing to border on the ridiculous averaging anywhere from $885-$1200 a day with the same inclusions. Even with a 15% inflation factor, that would only bring our costs to $755/night. As much as we enjoyed our HAL cruises, HAL is not a $1000/night cruise line. 

By contrast, we are sailing Silversea in December. Totally all inclusive (champagne instead of Prosecco etc., internet, outstanding dining, etc.) and our cost per night  will be $817. We completed a Celebrity cruise last month (smaller suite to be fair) and our cost was $750/night which included premium drinks, internet, on board credit, private dining room and all gratuities) 

Really want to sail HAL again but not at this prices!

I am only booked on 2022 cruises and booked early.  I think some of the pricing depends on the ship and itinerary.  No question that the smaller ships with the good itineraries (for us) are very pricey.  And prices are up for those.

Silversea doesn’t do an equivalent itinerary to the one we are doing in May so I have no comparison.

To be fair my pricing on a Vista for another sailing is nearly 1/2 of the smaller ship so it really seems to depend on the ship, itinerary and when you book.

I haven’t dared look at 2023 yet.  I want to sail first and make sure we are still pleased with HAL 😉 

Good for you for finding a nice cruise on Silversea at good pricing.  Enjoy 🙂 

Silversea is on our potential list for the future.

It is what it is. They are charging what the market will bear, and what they feel they need to charge. They are in this to make a profit, and to recover from the Covid crisis. Comparing HAL to other cruise lines (by the way, HAL has champagne and Prosecco, at least last time I was on) is not very relative, its just something to frustrate you.

You always have the ability to vote with your feet.

• Like 2

I started to keep track this year after our one cruise on Viking Ocean to then compare it to our past HAL cruises. These HAL cruises were in Neptune, Signature, Vista ( S-class and Pinnacle -class), and Verandah staterooms. The Viking was the most expensive. It was a DV-2 and the fare was discounted  by VO $500.00 pp for the 7-day cruise. Wine and beer at Lunch and Dinner was included but mixed drinks were extra. An excursion was included for each port but only consisted of a walking tour or "panoramic" bus ride of approximately 1-1/2 hour length. The comprehensive excursions were priced approximately the same as HAL. The Neptune suites we have had were at least $200.00 less per day.

Our daily price was $842.29 on the Viking Sky for the seven days in a stateroom that was just +/ inches the-size of a Verandah on HAL. We booked one of the four cruises first announced but VO didn't realize how much in demand they were. Sold out on the first day, they added 15 additional cruises and brought in a second ship. These were then sold without the discount, but some did include the Drink package.

Pricing points are based on demand, how far out from the cruise you are booking, and if within the final payment window. 

Edited by Heartgrove

1 hour ago, kazu said:

So, your Silversea is per couple too?  In a suite the size of a Neptune?  Good deal 👍 Good for you!

Is per couple. ($9768 total cost for 12 days) Cabin is not as large as a Neptune but is far more deluxe. What I'm trying to get across is perceived value vs. price. The Neptune suite used to be priced so attractively, it was a good "go to" choice over other options. As the price increases far beyond what it used to be, other options become attractive.

FCC users, supply/demand (especially with ships not booking to capacity) and other market factors contribute to this. I really just wanted to point out even with a 15% increases from when I cruised in 2019 and 2020, prices are significantly higher and other really good options that deliver value are available. 

Edited by molemaui
corrections
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, molemaui said:

Is per couple. ($9768 total cost for 12 days) Cabin is not as large as a Neptune but is far more deluxe. What I'm trying to get across is perceived value vs. price. The Neptune suite used to be priced so attractively, it was a good "go to" choice over other options. As the price increases far beyond what it used to be, other options become attractive.

FCC users, supply/demand (especially with ships not booking to capacity) and other market factors contribute to this. I really just wanted to point out even with a 15% increases from when I cruised in 2019 and 2020, prices are significantly higher and other really good options that deliver value are available. 

I agree. I have one HAL cruise booked for 2022. My 2023 cruise is with another line (a first for us).  We just couldn’t pass up the price and itinerary for 2023. As someone said above, vote with your feet. And that’s what we are doing. I do hope pricing comes down again. If not, there are many other lines to choose from. ☺️

Edited by Andi Land

The whole pricing dynamic is changing at HAL.  Many of the Neptune benefits have now been monetized in the Club Orange product which means that what remains exclusive to Neptunes is the Lounge, the Concierges, laundry and dry cleaning and--most significantly--real estate.

Other lines have demonstrated that there is a market for ship-within-a-ship products.  Price conscious passengers are already asking the value-for-money questions.  For my next cruise I was seriously looking at an MSC Yacht Club booking, and it was a fairly last minute decision to opt for a balcony on HAL with Club Orange.

As Neptunes start to be cost evaluated against competitors' ship-within-a-ship products (especially Celebrity and MSC), HAL are likely going to have to up the game for Neptunes.  I suspect that HQ is testing where the price sensitivity exists in the marketplace, which will create or refute the business case for an enhanced product for Neptunes.

It will likely be a few years for all this to shake out.  But Club Orange has already locked in the concept of exclusive dining.  It is not beyond the wit of designers to relocate the Neptune Lounge into a full size, outward facing bar/lounge space and the only other element would be an exclusive sun deck area. 

• Like 1

There comes a tipping point in the pricing matrix and value proposition of mass market cruise lines where loyal customers seriously shop....... and walk.

I suspect that the likes of HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc. are trying to determine what that tipping point is for their loyal customers and then price a just a little south of that point.

I suspect the real challenge for these cruise lines may be the value proposition.

Warm and fuzzies tend to disappear when, from a competitive perspective, the price and perceived value become increasingly out of sync. for an increasing number of each lines base of loyal customers.

I suspect that loyal customers who shop and walk for the first time are much more inclined to do the same on future buys.  That becomes a challenge for those cruise lines.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, iancal said:

There comes a tipping point in the pricing matrix and value proposition of mass market cruise lines where loyal customers seriously shop....... and walk.

I suspect that the likes of HAL, Celebrity, Princess, etc. are trying to determine what that tipping point is for their loyal customers and then price a just a little south of that point.

I suspect the real challenge for these cruise lines may be the value proposition.

Warm and fuzzies tend to disappear when, from a competitive perspective, the price and perceived value become increasingly out of sync. for an increasing number of each lines base of loyal customers.

I suspect that loyal customers who shop and walk for the first time are much more inclined to do the same on future buys.  That becomes a challenge for those cruise lines.

I think you're right.

There are two factors throw into the mix.

First, what portion of revenue derives from Neptunes and Pinnacles?  I'd suggest that these are underperforming assets.  The two R-class ships that left the fleet first were Amsterdam and Rotterdam--the two ships that had the largest proportion of S and PS accommodations.  Pinnacle class ships dropped PS space from 2 to 1 and have a lower proportion of S category compared to Vista and Signature class ships.  Ultimately, why have Neptune suites that are twice the size of balconies unless you are earning at least twice as much net revenue from them?

The other element to factor in is how the larger Carnival branding addresses this.  Seabourn, Cunard, HAL and Princess all occupy brand positions that need to be distinct and all serve the larger corporate goals.  Turning HAL into Cunard or Princess is pointless--Cunard and Princess already exist.  HAL needs to compete with others in its brand sector, and the obvious target is Celebrity.  5 years ago Koningsdam showed us that this was the new direction for HAL.  Nothing in Nieuw StatendamRotterdam VII or any of the new soft product suggests that this does not continue to be the focus of management.

We are not cruise line loyal.

Once thing for certain.  We are never going to pay 40 or 50 percent more for 20 percent more real estate on any cruise line.  Even if some low value, feel good, ego boosting 'extras' are included in the offer to make it look somewhat exclusive.

The real question for us?  Would we be willing to pay the same fare on a premium or luxury line for 20 percent less real estate but far more value added items all inclusive items that represent on board cost savings for us.

The answer, at least for us, is a definite yes providing that the ship is attractive.  It could well be a yes if the cost was higher provided we perceived more value.    In a New York minute.

It is very common for the past few years for Neptune's to be over $ 1,000.00 per room.  It is clear that HAL does not want Suite people with the marketing of their price, Club Orange and the amount of Suites on the new ships.  And yes, they are over priced, period.