Puerta Vallarta

MimiMomma

Anyone have suggestions of beaches near hotels in Puerta Vallarta to go to on our own, when we get off ship? 
 Not wanting to do an organized ship tour at this port. We are on Emerald Princess stopping a the port in PV on 2/9/2022

I do not know if Krystal Vallarta is offering day passes now, but it is easily walkable from the port.  

Or you can take a cab or a mini-van from the port to the Malecon and go to the beach behind the Hotel Rosita.  Or, better yet, a cab to Playa De Los Muertos.  

We go to Playa Los Muertos when we want a beach day in Puerto Vallarta.  The whole beach is lined with restaurants that have tables and loungers in the sand.  You are welcome to sit and enjoy their beach furniture as long as you are buying food and beverages. 

Walk outside the port area and hail a cab on the street.  Negotiate fare before you get in.  My advice would be to start on the south end of Playa Los Muertos and walk your way back toward town if you'd like.  We go to Langostino's down by the pier.  We spend a few hours there, eating and having a cocktail, and typically we take a dip or two in the ocean.  When we are ready, we walk north up the beach and usually stop at one or two more beach restaurants for another beverage or a snack.  We do that until we are back in the main downtown Malecon area, then if we want to shop, we can.  Typically we just grab a cab back to the ship at that point.  

Cab fare should be about $10 from the Malecon back to the ship.  To get to the pier at Playa Los Muertos it's around $12-$15 usually.  As I said, ask before you get in.  Many of the drivers will start too high, so you can negotiate until it falls in the right range.  

Most of the restaurants at the beach are cash only, though.  They will take US dollars or Mx pesos, but be aware that they can set their exchange rate to what they want.  Most are in a "fair" range, but it is cheaper to pay with pesos.  Since we cruise this itinerary often, we usually buy a large batch of pesos from our bank and use them over a few cruises before we need to replenish.  If you aren't going to be cruising again anytime soon, you're probably just better off taking the hit on your exchange.  I think on our roughly $40 bill at Langostino's a few weeks ago, it would have been about $3 or $4 more to pay in USD.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Both the Marriott and Westin Hotels often offer daypasses (if they arenot fully booked) ar about Pesos 750 per person. About 400 Pesos are for food and drinks. It is just a short cab ride from the pier. 

When it comes to beaches in/around PV you need to ask yourself a few questions.  If you are simply looking for a beach where you can relax (and probably not swim) and also have access to lots of restaurants, bars, shopping, and the wonderful town atmosphere then you should just go into town and specifically head towards the Old Town/Romantic Zone which is on the South side of the Rio Cujale.  There you will find Los Muertos Beach which has plenty of places where you can find chairs or loungers (owned by restaurants/bars).  The food and drink are fine and you are steps from both "Centro" and Romantic Zone shopping, browsing, etc.  In the interest of full disclosure this is where we live 10 weeks every year :).

On the other hand, if you are looking to go to a resort or hotel where you have access to a beach, pool, etc. there are a few options for day passes.  We do not keep up with the latest info on which places welcome cruisers but I am sure that Ine and some other PV experts will jump in here with some info.

As to getting around (this has been discussed many times) you have quite a few options and they are all reasonably priced.  There are taxis in the port (these are different from the regular taxis outside the port) that will quote you prices per person to go just about anywhere.  You can walk outside the port where there are normal local taxis (they charge by the taxi load...not per person) and use them to go anywhere.  Just make sure you agree on a price before you get in the cab and how you will pay (Pesos or US Dollars).  We also have a very active Uber program in PV so if you have their app on your phone you can certainly use Uber...but you will need to walk outside the port for pick-up.  

We are aware that many cruisers are afraid of going off on your own but they should understand that PV is a year round resort area and we have 50-60,000 gringos living and visiting the region during the winter season.  A large majority of the Mexicans in PV are used to dealing with tourists and speak/understand English (or at least some English).  It is a very tourist-friendly environment that will accept US Dollars (although you will save money if you use Pesos).   I should add that eating/drinking in the region is quite safe (nearly everyone uses bottled water and purified ice) but you should use a little common sense.  If a place looks good (and is popular) it will be fine.  But there are some dumpy street stands that are best avoided unless you see it is popular with other "gringos."  In fact, most of us who live and/or spend a lot of time in the area are very friendly so if you are not sure just ask :).  And the big question we are most often asked about PV is "is it safe?"  And we answer (with no hesitation) that it is safer then most US cities...especially during daylight hours.  But we do have the usual street crime (i.e. pickpockets) so just use a little common sense and you will quickly learn why 10s of thousands of us have selected this area as the place we want to live and/or vacation.

Guess I should also mention that is approximately 3 1/2 miles from the port to town (I often walk this route for exercise) and the entire route is full of hotels, restaurants, shopping, etc.

Hank

• Like 5

I should have further described Los Muertos Beach (the beach that is in town).  It spans most of the Romantic Zone starting as soon as you cross the pedestrian bridge along the Malecon.  While the northern part of the beach (near the Sea Monkey Bar/Restaurant) is an area I favor because it is relatively quiet.  But this is primarily for folks with their own chairs (i.e. locals) or is usable to folks sitting at the Sea Monkey or some of the other bars at this northern end of the beach.  This part of the beach is great for just relaxing or even walking but it is not very safe for swimming because of hidden rocks.  As you work your way south the beach becomes more popular until you come to the large pier (a real landmark).  The area close to the pier is very popular with Mexican families who come to PV for their vacation.  South of the pier you are starting to get into the best part of the beach for those who want to go swimming.  In this area it is a sandy bottom and there are even lifeguards.  There are restaurants and beach bars here which will provide loungers to their customers (everything is negotiable).  If you continue south you will come to the famous "Blue Chairs" and adjacent Green Chairs which are very popular with the LGBTQ community (but everyone is welcome).  This entire area is quite popular for those who want to head into the surf.

Just a warning about the surf.  Use common sense because the conditions will vary from calm days great for swimming or just wading to days when there are some pretty nasty waves.  There are many times when the areas just north of the pier are a bit too rough for most folks but the surf near the Blue Chairs might be OK.  On the days when the surf is up there are usually a few local kids who will be in the water body surfing, and you might even see a few try real surfing.  I find these kids great entertainment.  One of the great charms of PV is that the various communities (retirees, gays, young vacationers, vacationers, and Mexicans) all seem to get along and respect each other.  We have a wonderful diverse community and this is one facet that keeps many coming back year after year or even living in PV year-round.

One final issue I neglected to mention in the prior post.  Another mode of transportation are the local buses.  The fare is $10 (that is pesos) and the buses do not need to accept dollars (that is up to the driver) so have some pesos.  Exact change is best as with the new buses the drivers do not need to provide change.  You can take a bus from outside the Port into town (Centro or the Romantic Zone) and we think of these buses as part of the local culture.  If anyone wants more detail about buses we can post more detailed info, but using taxis/uber makes more sense in this era of COVID.

Hank

• Like 6

On 11/10/2021 at 8:55 PM, Hlitner said:

You can take a bus from outside the Port into town (Centro or the Romantic Zone) and we think of these buses as part of the local culture.  If anyone wants more detail about buses we can post more detailed info, but using taxis/uber makes more sense in this era of COVID.

Hank

Thank you Hank!  Most of the topics regarding taking the bus to the malecon suggest getting off at the Hotel Rosita and strolling south toward the pier.  Is there a big difference if we take the bus to the Romantic zone and work our way north to the Rosita? Maybe it's just a matter of preference, and Rosita is mentioned because it's an un/official start to the malecon.

Does the bus route end/turn around at the Romantic Zone? I've read perhaps at Parque Lazaro Cardenas?  If not, I guess we could just get off a few blocks after crossing the Rio (assuming storm damaged bridges have been repaired).

14 minutes ago, n4w said:

Thank you Hank!  Most of the topics regarding taking the bus to the malecon suggest getting off at the Hotel Rosita and strolling south toward the pier.  Is there a big difference if we take the bus to the Romantic zone and work our way north to the Rosita? Maybe it's just a matter of preference, and Rosita is mentioned because it's an un/official start to the malecon.

Does the bus route end/turn around at the Romantic Zone? I've read perhaps at Parque Lazaro Cardenas?  If not, I guess we could just get off a few blocks after crossing the Rio (assuming storm damaged bridges have been repaired).

Not Hank, but I know that due to the bridge that collapsed in old town traffic on the other bridge is restricted for heavy traffic, buses, truck etc. . Therefore most Centro buses go only to near Hotel Rosita. There is a Centro bus that goes through Tunel (sign in the window), they still go to old town near Plaza Lazaro Cardenas on a different route. As far as I know those buses do not leave near the cruise terminal. So your best option is as Hank mentioned. 

• Thanks 1

I would just add to Ine's info that the buses do not actually go as far as the Rosita.  I am not sure of their current turning place but it is likely 1 or 2 blocks before the Rosita.  If you do take the bus into town and want to start walking from the Northern end of the Malecon you would probably do best to get off the bus around the time it makes a left turn (to avoid going into Centro).  Not sure when you are going to PV but we should have some better first-hand info shortly after New Years .   If folks do want to take a bus directly to the Romantic Zone (Old Town) if would still be possible if you take a bus (from near the port/marina which clearly displays a sign in the windshield which says "Tunel."  These buses take a different route which gets them into the Old Town and avoids the destroyed bridge (which was on Insurgentes (street).

Had to smile at Ine's comment about when the replacement bridge will be completed and reopened.   If they do manage to get it reopened in Dec or Jan we would be very happy folks.   But when the authorities talked about the bridge being opened by December I am not sure if they ever mentioned what year :).   But seriously,  we know that replacing that bridge is a major priority for the Mexican government but it does strain credibility that such a major project could be done in under 3 months!

For cruisers, the bridge problem should not be much of an issue except for excursions that include the Romantic Zone/Old Town.  At the very least the missing bridge will increase driving times and add to traffic congestion.    Those walking through town (between Centro and the Old Town) would have no problem since there is still the pedestrian bridge on the Malecon or the regular bridge on I. Vallarta Street.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

it is roughly 7.2 km from the cruise port to the Municipal Pier on Los Muertos Beach. The ride will take you over some of the most bicycle/pedestrian unfriendly streets you will ever encounter.  It is safe to rent a bicycle in Vallarta but it is not safe to ride one over the route you would travel.

Bus or taxi and live to tell about it!

Enjoy . . . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trixiee said:

Is it safe to rent a bicycle in PV?  And ride from Cruise Ship terminal to The Romantic Town?

Like Paul already tells, a simple answer, donot do it. It is a very busy road with trucks, buses etc. and they often drive too fast. Besides you can expect some holes in the road too. 

6 hours ago, Ine said:

Like Paul already tells, a simple answer, donot do it. It is a very busy road with trucks, buses etc. and they often drive too fast. Besides you can expect some holes in the road too. 

OK - Thank you!    I'm an avid cyclist, but I don't want to risk anything in a foreign country!  Walking is OK though?

Edited by trixiee
added a question

3 hours ago, trixiee said:

OK - Thank you!    I'm an avid cyclist, but I don't want to risk anything in a foreign country!  Walking is OK though?

I am dutch and cycle often at home but never in Vallarta!

Yes walking is o.k. But keep checking the pavements that arenot always that even. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve cruised to Puerto Vallarta 6 or 7 times, the last was in 2017. There was a large flea market/shopping area right at the port.  And next to that was a Mexican restaurant, at least some of it outdoors.  We ate lunch there. We’ll be sailing to Mexico next month and want to eat there again.  Does anyone know if the restaurant is still there? I have no idea what the name is. 

A lot has changed at the port since a new terminal at Pier 1 has opened. Lots of shops inside and depending the pier a small flea market at pier 3.

If I remember right that restaurant has gone too. 

Across from the terminal you will see Galleria Mall with Liverpool as main shop. Restaurant Memin offers mainly various fish meals and also had some tables outside.

Or you have to go to the Marina (where the yachts are), more or less walking distance but a cab would be easier. Lots of restaurants outside along the water there. 

• Like 1

Last week we took a cab to the marina, had a great breakfast, walked around, saw the crocodile, then took a cab to the Malecon walked to Los Muertos Brewing, then to Monzon Brewing and shared some natchos, back down to the Malecon and walked the shops and up along the River Cuale then back down to the Malecon and had some fish tacos and beers at one of the restaurants on the beach that we have eaten at previous times. Got a cab and went back to the ship.  We had a great day! Four of us in the cab and they charged $15 average for 4.