Emeril's on Mardi Gras....please go

RoperDK

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

Not really. I'm a Southern and if having cake style, I prefer sweet. I also like fried cornbread which is not sweet. It's just a personal preference.

It is subjective, but sugar in corn bread is yankee style. Warm water vs cold is about the only choice..

On 11/13/2021 at 9:52 PM, Saint Greg said:

They are free. They are a part of YTD. And after a certain time are open to assigned dining people as well. They say it’s a limited time deal but I don’t believe they have the dining room space to accommodate assigned dining and YTD. I believe they will remain free.

I can’t speak for roper but i think the quotes were because people say free but you pay for it with the cruise. I prefer to say included.

I think this poster is correct. I spoke with a maitre'd in Cucina and asked why it was free. She told me that there were not enough seats in the MDR for all the passengers so they opened up this and Chibangs. I told her they made a huge mistake in building the ship if there were not enough seats.  It sounds like they are going to stay free on the Mardi Gras or at least until the higher ups figure out what to do.  I believe ships are only sailing at 70% so what would they do it was 100%?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FloridaGram said:

I think this poster is correct. I spoke with a maitre'd in Cucina and asked why it was free. She told me that there were not enough seats in the MDR for all the passengers so they opened up this and Chibangs. I told her they made a huge mistake in building the ship if there were not enough seats.  It sounds like they are going to stay free on the Mardi Gras or at least until the higher ups figure out what to do.  I believe ships are only sailing at 70% so what would they do it was 100%?

While this is obviously true, keep in mind a few other points. 

1. The Lido Marketplace buffet has a lot of seating capacity, and Mardi Gras was built after years and years of declining passenger use of the MDR in favor of the buffet. It would make sense not to use so much real estate on a gigantic dining room that is typically underused.  While it may now look like a mistake It must have been based on solid data suggesting they didn't NEED capacity for all the passengers.

2.  There must have been an expectation that there would be higher demand for upcharge dinners which would further depress demand for the MDR. A lot of folks have mentioned that the free Cucina menu is not  as elevated as the typical $15 upcharge menu for Cucina on other ships. If it were as good (or hey, maybe even better than the other Cucinas), would enough people have been / eventually will be willing to shell out the $$ to send enough diners there each night?  Same with Chibang! which was originally conceived as a JiJi's which many reviewers also say is worth the $15 fee on other ships. Mardi Gras' experienced passengers seem unfortunately underwhelmed by the new concept of Chibang. I have to wonder if they will convert it to a JiJi's, or otherwise fancy up the menu, in order to reinstate both the upcharge and demand for the experience.  Most of us barely mention it but the Smokehouse is yet another dinner option that is included free along with Cucina and Chibang and was intended to draw upcharge customers.  While the reviews I am seeing are not super enthusiastic, it has a place, especially as a casual option perhaps on elegant night. Unlike most other served venues, it moves people through pretty quickly as well. 

Rudi's seems to be doing well. There's also the separate restaurants Bonsai Teppanyaki and Sushi (they are not getting mentioned much in reviews so I wonder if they are getting much traffic), Steak House of course, and, while it hasn't emerged as the new hotspot for dinner, Emeril's. Chef's Table, panini, pizza, room service, Java Blue grab and go, that last burger before Guy's closes, all are other dinner options. 

3. Maybe, just maybe, this plan to keep Cucina, Chibang and Smokehouse free dinner venues is the happiest "accident" (or calculation) ever to befall the largest cruise line in the world.  With so much nickel and diming being a grumbling point nowadays in the industry, here is an opportunity to delight and pamper guests in a way they've never done before. (But doing so will not help little Emeril's).

Many or most of us loyal or semi-loyal to Carnival agree that the overall value for the spend is already quite good, even on the oldest, smallest ships. Are passengers really getting anything all that much "better" at these 3 venues than they would get at the MDR each night? I ate at all 3 and while we enjoyed them all, I would certainly say NO, the food wasn't BETTER than MDR food in general. Usually MDR food is either very good or at least, good enough. It was different, and it felt exclusive to be in the different, themed rooms, but I can't see how or why any of the apps, entrees, or desserts we had in those 3 restaurants would have actually cost the line more per passenger than what they were slinging in the MDR.

The optional, included meals on other ships, like Blue Iguana for breakfast and lunch and Guy's Burger from noon-6 daily, are both HUGELY POPULAR and among the top aspects when people mention their favorite Carnival differentiating amenities compared to other cruise lines (which tend to upcharge for similar options).  Maybe it occurred to someone that they should figure out a way to offer something "free" for dinner and here it is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

While this is obviously true, keep in mind a few other points. 

1. The Lido Marketplace buffet has a lot of seating capacity, and Mardi Gras was built after years and years of declining passenger use of the MDR in favor of the buffet. 

2.  There must have been an expectation that there would be higher demand for upcharge dinners which would further depress demand for the MDR.

3. Maybe, just maybe, this plan to keep Cucina, Chibang and Smokehouse free dinner venues is the happiest "accident" (or calculation) ever to befall the largest cruise line in the world.  With so much nickel and diming being a grumbling point nowadays in the industry, here is an opportunity to delight and pamper guests in a way they've never done before. (But doing so will not help little Emeril's).

Many or most of us loyal or semi-loyal to Carnival agree that the overall value for the spend is already quite good, even on the oldest, smallest ships. Are passengers really getting anything all that much "better" at these 3 venues than they would get at the MDR each night? I ate at all 3 and while we enjoyed them all, I would certainly say NO, the food wasn't BETTER than MDR food in general. Usually MDR food is either very good or at least, good enough. It was different, and it felt exclusive to be in the different, themed rooms, but I can't see how or why any of the apps, entrees, or desserts we had in those 3 restaurants would have actually cost the line more per passenger than what they were slinging in the MDR.

The optional, included meals on other ships, like Blue Iguana for breakfast and lunch and Guy's Burger from noon-6 daily, are both HUGELY POPULAR and among the top aspects when people mention their favorite Carnival differentiating amenities compared to other cruise lines (which tend to upcharge for similar options).  Maybe it occurred to someone that they should figure out a way to offer something "free" for dinner and here it is.

Those are great points and I totally agree.  We have 25 Carnival cruises under our belt and have changed how we cruise over time.  We haven't visited the MDR in years.  We grew tired of the 2 plus hour meals and frankly the same old menu.  We used to love the evening buffet and you could have a lovely meal with a nice variety.  Now it is terrible to us.  At least serve the lunch time selections for dinner.  Up your game and there will be more attendance! 

We also don't mind paying for upcharge restaurants.  Cucina and JiJis at $15 is a bargain!  We do the steakhouse at least once during our cruise.  We are totally happy with a deli sandwich for dinner one night and the steakhouse another.  I would love to try the upgraded Pig and Anchor at dinner for a few extra dollars.  Everyone knows how I feel about Emeril's.  It is a gem.  However, we talked to many people on our Mardi Gras cruise that didn't want to try upcharge venues when they can eat for free elsewhere.  Maybe Carnival underestimated the willingness of people to spend extra.   

We didn't eat at Chibang and probably won't next time.  We LOVE JIJIs and Chibang doesn't come close.  I did like Cucina, but missed the better quality options.  Pig and Anchor was basically the free lunch items with the addition of ribs.  You are very astute.  They offer MDR quality food in all of the free options and everyone feels like they are getting a bargain.   

We are sailing on Mardi Gras again in January. So many great innovations on this ship. I have to admit that several things fell flat, though. I will keep an open mind for our cruise.  Maybe we will be happier with the experience.  We are excited to see the Vista coming to Port Canaveral and will definitely be cruising on that ship.      

• Like 1