Emeril's on Mardi Gras....please go

RoperDK

6 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

They make sushi out of food other than fish. I like shrimp tempura sushi myself.

I'm a halfhearted sushi fan myself.  I do LOVE raw tuna and tolerate raw salmon, but most of the rest I'm just not fond of raw.  I also can't stand imitation crab, though fortunately my local joint is happy to sub in plain shrimp on those rolls.  I also really enjoy almost all the hot rolls - deep fried, or separated and topped with spicy mayo and tempura flakes, preferably with a generous drizzle of eel sauce.  

It's still not my favorite, but if my people want to do sushi, there's almost definitely something I like on the menu.  Heck, I can eat my weight in battered veggies and shrimp!

Anyway, I don't blame anyone for being a little less adventurous with food, and I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for not trying a paid option when there are so many excellent included options.   It is kind of sad, though, if the specialty restaurants weren't currently free, I think a lot more people would be trying Emeril's.  Before I realized Cuchina would be free, I had full intentions of trying several items there.  The price points are set well, imo, and the options are attractive.  Just hard to find the value with so much else included.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think technically sushi is vinegared rice plus some other stuff, often raw. Shrimp tempura would be good by itself.

Luckily the sushi place I visit in town makes as many varieties of cooked sushi as they have raw ones. I don't do the raw ones but have found several cooked ones that I enjoy.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:29 PM, Computer Nerd said:

Did you ever think maybe some folks don't like what Emeril's has to offer? 

22 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Of course! I am never surprised by the lack of imagination in some people's food choices.  

19 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Let ne know when you've eaten rattlesnake, bugs, and pig stomach and then we can talk about lack of imagination in food choices. 

Why does everyone here think they know better than everyone else and act so conceited about it?

Okay, I deserve that for my sarcastic reply.  I wouldn't call Cajun/Creole cuisine exotic by any means.  My original post was to emphasize the fact that this venue is not hitting its stride even though people that have ventured there have enjoyed their selections.  BTW...I have had rattlesnake. It was okay.  Ate a roasted cricket on a dare and survived.  Never had pig stomach.           

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Okay, I deserve that for my sarcastic reply.  I wouldn't call Cajun/Creole cuisine exotic by any means.  My original post was to emphasize the fact that this venue is not hitting its stride even though people that have ventured there have enjoyed their selections.  BTW...I have had rattlesnake. It was okay.  Ate a roasted cricket on a dare and survived.  Never had pig stomach.           

I wouldn't really call Cajun/Creole exotic either but I've tried it a good while back, didn't care for the flavor profiles, and don't think I'll enjoy anyone else's version. As for the pig stomach, it is a German delicacy (in their mind) but I had to eat to to make my wife's mom happy. Thank God I don't have to do that again. I actually enjoyed the rattlesnake (it was battered and fried) and I could do without the chocolate covered crickets. Oh, and don't get me started on the octopus salad my wife told me to try in Germany....one of the suckers latched onto my tongue. Ugghhh.

Edited by Computer Nerd
  • Haha 3

On 11/14/2021 at 2:41 PM, crewsweeper said:

Don't forget Emeril cut his chops at Commanders Palace, a traditional fine dining NOLA restaurant.

I do know that.

He would certainly know how to make the Bananas Foster to be used in the onboard Emeril's Bananas Foster Crepe that someone mentioned in  post #33..

Edited by Homosassa

I'm trying to imagine what his Chef's Table menu will look like next week -- no doubt a substantial deviation from the Carnival script, that's for sure!

Even if I'm not lucky enough to attend, I'll definitely seek out a copy of that!

Tom

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Plan on trying Emeril's on Mardi Gras in December. Also, what about Rudi's? Worth a visit for seafood dining?

Rudi's - in my opinion, absolutely. We dined there a couple of times last trip, and have the first two nights booked for this coming weekend. Loved it (way better than our Steakhouse experience on multiple nights). It's the gem onboard -- if for no other reason: they have tablecloths, and the Steakhouse doesn't... LOL

PXL_20210808_223109033%20(1)-XL.jpg

PXL_20210808_223120142%20(1)-XL.jpg

PXL_20210808_225048113%20(1)-XL.jpg

PXL_20210808_230905955%20(1)-XL.jpg

PXL_20210810_220421714-XL.jpg

PXL_20210810_222358851-XL.jpg

PXL_20210810_222408931-XL.jpg

PXL_20210810_225005356-XL.jpg

PXL_20210810_225013236-XL.jpg

Tom

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Rudi's - in my opinion, absolutely. We dined there a couple of times last trip, and have the first two nights booked for this coming weekend. Loved it (way better than our Steakhouse experience on multiple nights). It's the gem onboard -- if for no other reason: they have tablecloths, and the Steakhouse doesn't... LOL

Tom

Even without the pictures you sold me, Tom.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Plan on trying Emeril's on Mardi Gras in December. Also, what about Rudi's? Worth a visit for seafood dining?

Well, we surprisingly did not enjoy Rudi's.  We had two nights reserved and canceled the second night after our first visit.  We had some service issues, which were disappointing, but didn't factor into the cancellation.  For a lack of a better description, the seafood was "small".  Stuffed lobster had barely six bites of lobster.  Appetizer scallops were only 3 very small ones covered in heavy cheese sauce.  Husband's halibut was dry and overcooked.  We love seafood and are used to great fresh options.  These didn't measure up for us.  YMMV.  

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Well, we surprisingly did not enjoy Rudi's.  We had two nights reserved and canceled the second night after our first visit.  We had some service issues, which were disappointing, but didn't factor into the cancellation.  For a lack of a better description, the seafood was "small".  Stuffed lobster had barely six bites of lobster.  Appetizer scallops were only 3 very small ones covered in heavy cheese sauce.  Husband's halibut was dry and overcooked.  We love seafood and are used to great fresh options.  These didn't measure up for us.  YMMV.  

I'm sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory. We all have been occasionally disappointed with our "fine-dining" portions, service and tastes, whether on land or sea. Unfortunately, a sub-standard encounter with Rudi's left a bad taste in your mouths resulting in the subsequent cancelation of another reservation.

I very much appreciate the candor in your post. We will give Rudi's a try and hope for a very pleasant dining experience. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:02 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

You probably have.. ever eaten hot dogs?  (yikes)

Tom

I don't care what's in them. I'm eating them lol

I used to work at a place where they made hot sausage sticks. They sent me to pick up the ingredients one day. When I looked in the box what I saw (cow lips)grossed me out but didn't stop me from eating the finished product.😛

15 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's the gem onboard -- if for no other reason: they have tablecloths, and the Steakhouse doesn't... LOL

Tom

That's interesting as the Steakhouse on the Freedom a month ago had tablecloths. None in the MDR, even on formal night, so the only tablecloth we saw during our cruise was our night at the Steakhouse.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Maybe has nothing to do with lack of imagination.  In my case I’m allergic to fish/seafood so that eliminates most items there for me. 

For me, I don't "do" seafood and I'm leery of highly spiced foods, which (wrongly or not) I associate with Cajun or Creole offerings, so that's two personal strikes against Emeril's already.    There were so many other good, included dining options on Mardi Gras that we never considered Emeril's or Rudi's.  

One way to encourage people to go to Emeril's would be to reopen it at 10pm.  Since the only other dining options after 10 are pizza, upcharge sushi ('til 11) and upcharge room-service, it might get more people across the transom to try it.  🙂  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

There were so many other good, included dining options on Mardi Gras that we never considered Emeril's or Rudi's.  

One way to encourage people to go to Emeril's would be to reopen it at 10pm.  Since the only other dining options after 10 are pizza, upcharge sushi ('til 11) and upcharge room-service, it might get more people across the transom to try it.  🙂  

Agree with @Pellaz here.  I was actually DETERMINED to get to Emeril's and it just never quite worked out. There are numerous factors hurting it, IMHO:

1. From the Carnival website, it looks like it will be kinda fancyish. Then you get onboard, and it's a TINY, open street cafe setup with about 10 itty bitty tables that looks abandoned most of the time. 

2. Open hours: There are a couple of huge misses here.  It needs to be open at embarkation for all the eager beavers looking for something different and who may have prioritized it from their pre-cruise planning. This would also possibly fill the place up and make it look more enticing to others boarding and on their initial exploration walkies.

3. Open hours #2:  For criminy sake, keep it open late night for FOURTHMEAL. Like, until about 1 or 2 am. It is physically very close to the popular Fortune Teller Bar - right next door, the Brass Magnolia - around a couple of corners, Center Stage Bar a few steps away in the Grand Atrium, both the Piano Bar and Punchliner just past that on the same deck, and Alchemy - one floor directly overhead. How does Carnival not comprehend the drunchies? Make some money and relieve the pressure on the poor pizza guys. People who are willing to shell out $$ for cruise beverages will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment.  People who also do NOT partake in alcohol will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment. Like, 4 times we went for pizza late and would have preferred Emeril's.  Bonus, if people like it at night, maybe they come back for lunch another day.

4. Did I mention it's TINY? It literally doesn't look like much of a restaurant. It's not something you see on the HUB app being offered as an option, you know, to remind you.  As noted you can't read the distressed mirror menu very well so it's hard to grasp what you're getting (and how much as others also noted) for your a la carte pricing. The taste profile is unique enough that people may be reluctant to sit down and try something that could be a risk taste wise.  It's an odd duck in many ways and easy to pass by. A reservation system with a set upcharge fee including an app, entree and dessert might help. 

5. So many other INCLUDED - and UPCHARGE options on this pleasure cruise.

• For breakfast you have Lido, additional small buffet in the Smokehouse, MDR, Guy's, Blue Iguana, Big Chicken, JavaBlue.
  • For lunch you have Pig and Anchor, Big Chicken, Street Eats, Lido, Sea Day Brunch, Guy's Burger, Blue Iguana, salad up in Serenity deck, Sea Dogs, Shawarma, Panini/Deli, JavaBlue grab and go items. It's insane. Nobody's on the ship long enough to try it all.
  • And then for dinner, we can all bellyache about Chibang but a lot of folks will still want to try it at least once, plus MDR and Cucina, and Smokehouse, and Lido Buffet. Lots of competing upcharge venues that seem more straightforward in concept - Rudi's, Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, Bonsai Sushi, Chef's Table.  And of course still we have 24 hour included pizza and Swirls. 
  • I feel like I"m still forgetting some venues. BIG SHIP!

Anyway, Carnival obviously knows more than humble old Kmom, so whatever.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Echo that, our best meal at sea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

Agree with @Pellaz here.  I was actually DETERMINED to get to Emeril's and it just never quite worked out. There are numerous factors hurting it, IMHO:

1. From the Carnival website, it looks like it will be kinda fancyish. Then you get onboard, and it's a TINY, open street cafe setup with about 10 itty bitty tables that looks abandoned most of the time. 

2. Open hours: There are a couple of huge misses here.  It needs to be open at embarkation for all the eager beavers looking for something different and who may have prioritized it from their pre-cruise planning. This would also possibly fill the place up and make it look more enticing to others boarding and on their initial exploration walkies.

3. Open hours #2:  For criminy sake, keep it open late night for FOURTHMEAL. Like, until about 1 or 2 am. It is physically very close to the popular Fortune Teller Bar - right next door, the Brass Magnolia - around a couple of corners, Center Stage Bar a few steps away in the Grand Atrium, both the Piano Bar and Punchliner just past that on the same deck, and Alchemy - one floor directly overhead. How does Carnival not comprehend the drunchies? Make some money and relieve the pressure on the poor pizza guys. People who are willing to shell out $$ for cruise beverages will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment.  People who also do NOT partake in alcohol will pay for food when it meets their immediate needs in the moment. Like, 4 times we went for pizza late and would have preferred Emeril's.  Bonus, if people like it at night, maybe they come back for lunch another day.

4. Did I mention it's TINY? It literally doesn't look like much of a restaurant. It's not something you see on the HUB app being offered as an option, you know, to remind you.  As noted you can't read the distressed mirror menu very well so it's hard to grasp what you're getting (and how much as others also noted) for your a la carte pricing. The taste profile is unique enough that people may be reluctant to sit down and try something that could be a risk taste wise.  It's an odd duck in many ways and easy to pass by. A reservation system with a set upcharge fee including an app, entree and dessert might help. 

5. So many other INCLUDED - and UPCHARGE options on this pleasure cruise.

• For breakfast you have Lido, additional small buffet in the Smokehouse, MDR, Guy's, Blue Iguana, Big Chicken, JavaBlue.
  • For lunch you have Pig and Anchor, Big Chicken, Street Eats, Lido, Sea Day Brunch, Guy's Burger, Blue Iguana, salad up in Serenity deck, Sea Dogs, Shawarma, Panini/Deli, JavaBlue grab and go items. It's insane. Nobody's on the ship long enough to try it all.
  • And then for dinner, we can all bellyache about Chibang but a lot of folks will still want to try it at least once, plus MDR and Cucina, and Smokehouse, and Lido Buffet. Lots of competing upcharge venues that seem more straightforward in concept - Rudi's, Steakhouse, Teppanyaki, Bonsai Sushi, Chef's Table.  And of course still we have 24 hour included pizza and Swirls. 
  • I feel like I"m still forgetting some venues. BIG SHIP!

Anyway, Carnival obviously knows more than humble old Kmom, so whatever.

We tried it both at the TA event before the first sailing and our our cruise.  While I would agree it did not turn out how I imagined, we thought it was VERY good.  Would highly recommend others trying it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

That's interesting as the Steakhouse on the Freedom a month ago had tablecloths. None in the MDR, even on formal night, so the only tablecloth we saw during our cruise was our night at the Steakhouse.

My guess would be what is under table cloths on Freedom

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

We tried it both at the TA event before the first sailing and our our cruise.  While I would agree it did not turn out how I imagined, we thought it was VERY good.  Would highly recommend others trying it.  

We should have tried harder but I swear we ate as much as humanly possible. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1