Covid cabin isolation, then Disembarkation to a Quarantine Hotel - Who Pays

There is a long thread on the P&O board regarding Covid on Iona, Travel insurance, and quarantine costs, which could be significant.

If you are identified as a close contact to someone on board who tests positive (probably your partner), after cabin isolation, you could both be off-loaded at the next port, and put in separate rooms at a quarantine hotel for 10 days. Apparently, your insurance would only cover the costs of the positive person, not both people (confirmed by several companies, including my own - LV)

As a Marella cruise is effectively a 'package', will that help? Anyone know what happened to those passengers that have had this happen already?

I've read all 35 pages of the P&O topic and it just goes round in circles with passengers caught between their insurers who say they look at things case by case and the cruise companies who say it down to the port authorities and out of their hands. These are unprecedented times and imo its going to be a suck it and see literally case by case as it happens. 

Covid is having a big surge in northern Europe and it may be that things will change when the monthly review is done by the govt. We will be on Ex2 when this takes place and I am really concerned that we may get caught up in one of those mad dash for home scenarios which we saw earlier in the year as border restrictions tightened. 

I'm not sure how the 'package deal' works in these instances but I doubt it will favour the passengers. 

Saying that we've paid our money so we take our chance. 🤔🤔🤞🤞

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Additional information

I was surprised that most insurers don't accept liability for the covering the 'other' partner, even though they are named on the same travel policy, when quarantine is enforced due to being a close contact.

Apparently RCL, Celebrity and one or two other cruise lines have addressed the issue, and have said no passengers will be out of pocket if they are debarked. P&O (according to the thread on Iona) are looking at the issue, hopefully Marella will also address it.

As passenger loading increases further, the chance of cross infection, isolation, and quarantine will also increase, and if people suffer financially due to this, people booking cruise will look to avoid the cruise lines that don't offer this guarantee.

Cruise with Confidence? 

When you look on the TUI main holiday booking website it boasts that they include Covid cover but if you look closer it tells you that cruise bookings are not included in said cover, It also says that you need covid cover included in your own travel insurance as well as “Comprehensive cruise cover” whatever that is.🤷🏻‍♂️
To me that reads that you need your own insurance  And if we tip you off the ship you are on your own. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

We could do with a post from someone that has experience of this type Of event.

57 minutes ago, Brummijam said:

When you look on the TUI main holiday booking website it boasts that they include Covid cover but if you look closer it tells you that cruise bookings are not included in said cover, It also says that you need covid cover included in your own travel insurance as well as “Comprehensive cruise cover” whatever that is.🤷🏻‍♂️
To me that reads that you need your own insurance  And if we tip you off the ship you are on your own. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

We could do with a post from someone that has experience of this type Of event.

This is one of the reasons we have insurance with Staysure and whilst they will pay out on a positive Covid test passenger any companion disembarked at the same time is on a case by case scenario, the loophole being curtailment of holiday on medical advice.

AS you say would be interested to hear from somebody who has gone thro this but i think there maybe some non-disclosure conditions behind the lack of info from people who have. 

Just been on 'chat' with Tui/Marella. They confirm that you have to claim on your insurance - 

Quote I have had a look and been advised the following: costs for such an event would not be covered by TUI. This is an insurance matter and different travel insurance providers offer different things so we would be unable to comment.

Marella wouldnt cover the cost it would be the insurance company that you would need to speak to if this was too happen whilst on board the ship

I asked if I purchased the insurance cover offered on their website, would this be covered -

Quote - You would need to read through the booking terms and conditions for the Insurance as this will advise what is covered in the cover you was looking too book.

I read recently that a lady on a Marella cruise and insured with Staysure found herself in this position when her husband tested positive and she was negative . Both were disembarked from the ship and the lady flew home. Her husband was in an isolation hotel for 10 days. She said her husband lost half a stone in weight as the food was disgusting and either lukewarm or cold.  Staysure paid out on her husbands claim but  rejected her claim. 

15 minutes ago, 2BACRUISER said:

@nancyneptune yes ive seen this too which is why I checked with Staysure, I understand the lady chose to book her own flight home rather than stay with hubby in quarantine so insurance wouldn't pay for this. 

I also read on a cruise forum, not sure if it was the same one, that a lady said if the worst came to the worst and she tested positive she wouldn't bother about not getting off the ship in ports but would just sit on her balcony. Someone tried to point out that she would probably be disembarked at the next port but she seems to doubt this could happen and actually became quite abusive to the person who was trying to make her aware that it was a possibility. 

I think if she tested positive when tested by the ship (rather than a test that she ran herself), she wouldn't have any choice if that is what the cruise line/ local authorities required. I hope she wasn't suggesting if she found she was positive (using a lateral flow test she brought from home) she would keep quiet and carry one cruising!

I rang LV again today to check our cover. Again they confirmed the 'negative' passenger wouldn't be covered for quarantine or travel costs. However, under the medical section of the policy, if the medical advice was that someone should accompany the 'positive' person, you would probably be covered, but this would be on a case by case basis!

Edited by howmuch!

I've just found out that Which Magazine have covered the topic of quarantine in October - 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/10/what-happens-if-you-test-positive-for-covid-19-while-on-holiday/

Hopefully good news for our Canaries cruise in January, as in the Canaries and Maderia, the government appear to be covering the cost of hotel quarantine and food.

14 hours ago, howmuch! said:

I've just found out that Which Magazine have covered the topic of quarantine in October - 

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2021/10/what-happens-if-you-test-positive-for-covid-19-while-on-holiday/

Hopefully good news for our Canaries cruise in January, as in the Canaries and Maderia, the government appear to be covering the cost of hotel quarantine and food.

What date are you on in January we are doing a 14 night departing 24th

20 hours ago, howmuch! said:

As do Majorca/Balearics

My advice would be that everybody should ensure that they have a credit card or two, with fairly high limits, with them to cover all eventualities, even if they can claim the expenses back from their insurance on their return. I know that some people declare that they don’t have a credit card at all. But you really do need to have one when travelling abroad, just in case!

• Like 1