Messaging other members of party onboard?

mspink98

9 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Will all messaging apps be able to send a message over WiFi (eg in Airplane mode)?  I seem to think that my Android native text messaging app did not work for SMS messages when my data was turned off....

I may be wrong though, but just something that the OP should ensure works back at home on airplane mode with WiFi only ..so they know ahead of time it'll work onboard.... 

In Airplane mode:

The Samsung "messages" app does NOT work. 

The Verizon "message+" app DOES work. 

Found that out on the Reflection this past week. 

I did receive messages via Whatsapp, but didn't try to send any. 

Also, all 4 of us had an issue with Wi-Fi calling. It should work in airplane mode, but does not. This seems to be either a Verizon or Samsung issue.  When trying to call, there's a pop-up saying that it can't make the call in Airplane mode.  

10 minutes ago, D C said:

Also, all 4 of us had an issue with Wi-Fi calling. It should work in airplane mode, but does not. This seems to be either a Verizon or Samsung issue.  When trying to call, there's a pop-up saying that it can't make the call in Airplane mode.  

You had Wi-Fi turned ON at the time...right?

10 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I have never managed to lose my husband on a cruise ship. (Not that I'm actively trying.) He's generally in one of a few spots, or he'll wander back to the cabin eventually.

Heck I lose my husband at Costco and Home Depot...only he doesn't know he is lost.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, D C said:

In Airplane mode:

On our cruise, on our Android phones, the Verizon message+ app did NOT work.  Went to the IT guy to find out why and he said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - he didn't know why.  I was able to use FB messenger.  Apparently people with IPhones have better luck.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

You had Wi-Fi turned ON at the time...right?

Correct.  Airplane mode with wifi turned on.  No wifi calling.  

Here's a long thread at verizon on the topic.  https://community.verizon.com/t5/Samsung-Galaxy-S-Series/Wi-Fi-calling-doesn-t-work-or-requests-Airplane-mode-to-be/td-p/1040843

Oddly enough, I just tried it again while at home.  Airplane mode on, wifi on, tried a call and it worked.  Wonder if it's a cruise ship thing....

19 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

On our cruise, on our Android phones, the Verizon message+ app did NOT work.  Went to the IT guy to find out why and he said sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - he didn't know why.  I was able to use FB messenger.  Apparently people with IPhones have better luck.

Weird.

I have an Android and had no problem with Verizon message+

My in-laws had Samsung Messages as their default app and couldn't text.  Once we had service in Cozumel, we switched them over to message+ and it worked fine the rest of the cruise. 

Edited by D C

1 hour ago, D C said:

Oddly enough, I just tried it again while at home.  Airplane mode on, wifi on, tried a call and it worked.  Wonder if it's a cruise ship thing....

Do you use a VPN?  If so, try turning it off when making a call.  If find the VPN on my iPhone can cause issues at times.

1 hour ago, isdoo said:

We either use WhatsApp, calls over WhatsApp or phone calls via wifi for free.

We were not able to make wifi phone calls with the surf package on our recent cruise.  Android phones.  Never had a problem before they instituted these two levels of internet service.  They act like the stream package is a step up from what they used to offer.  IMHO what is really happening is that the surf package is a step down.

13 hours ago, D C said:

In Airplane mode:

My experience is similar on a Samsung phone. Their message app didn't work over Wi-Fi. 

I use Samsung phones but always disable the Samsung messages app and use Google version instead.  Also never have had any issues with wifi calling (just leave it on as default).  I believe you need to initially set up wifi calling on your home network.  I do choose to pay for faster wifi if it isn't already included.

• Like 1