Norwegian Fjords or Iceland - on Apex?

ian441672

We've always wanted to do the Norwegian Fjords which look spectacular, and we have seen the 2023 deals just out, for 9 nights in the (newly branded?) Sunset Sky Suite (Aft) for £8258 (approx $11000) including £600 OBC, which looks good. 

However, just seen a 12 nights Iceland / bit of Scotland and Ireland 12 nighter for same room for £9758 ($13100) including £800 OBC, which looks equally as spectacular.

So, spoilt for choice, can anyone give some views, anyone done one of both, or just suggestions?  Both are early August - decent weather up there?; bit of sunbathing?!

We did one of the first voyages around Greece / Dubrovnik this August on the Apex, so we know and absolutely love the ship, just deciding on the itinerary! I konw it wont be as quiet next time....!

Thanks.

We also were looking at both of these cruises. We ultimately choose the 9 day Norwegian Fjord cruise. While we did like the Iceland itinerary, our deciding factor was we thought a land based trip was better for Ireland and Scotland. Only having a couple of hours while the ship was in port was not enough time to explore Ireland/Scotland. 

Makes sense for you wanting more time land based. We live in UK so makes little difference to us in that respect. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for your comments!

14 minutes ago, scubarn1 said:

We also were looking at both of these cruises. We ultimately choose the 9 day Norwegian Fjord cruise. While we did like the Iceland itinerary, our deciding factor was we thought a land based trip was better for Ireland and Scotland. Only having a couple of hours while the ship was in port was not enough time to explore Ireland/Scotland. 

Wow, like trying to choose between chocolate cake vs ice cream sundae.  We did Fjords in early June of 2018.  Weather was mild, not toasty.  Some rain, and a really wet hike, but still awsome experience.  And it was early enough in season to have snow on the mountain tops.  Spectacular photos.  A must-do.  We have scheduled, with luck, Iceland/Ireland out of Amsterdam this late June (originally was for 2019 ugh).  I think you can probably expect rain in either place, so don't base your choice on weather. Just bring flexible outerwear.

34 minutes ago, Roxydog15 said:

Wow, like trying to choose between chocolate cake vs ice cream sundae.  We did Fjords in early June of 2018.  Weather was mild, not toasty.  Some rain, and a really wet hike, but still awsome experience.  And it was early enough in season to have snow on the mountain tops.  Spectacular photos.  A must-do.  We have scheduled, with luck, Iceland/Ireland out of Amsterdam this late June (originally was for 2019 ugh).  I think you can probably expect rain in either place, so don't base your choice on weather. Just bring flexible outerwear.

Thanks, hope you have a great time yourself. I think either option is going to be amazing. 12 nights is going to be better than 9 on the Apex for sure too!

I am rather late to this discussion, but will just add some random thoughts.  

We have done one cruise to Iceland and two land trips.  Iceland is so easy to do on your own on land.  So many fascinating features and views.  I would suggest a land trip to Iceland, but those who select a cruise may find that they want to return to do a land trip.

We have also done one land trip to Norway and also have done a cruise.  Some of the fjords are really long, and the sail aways are spectacular.  Folks can't go wrong with a Norwegian fjord cruise.   I don't remember as many hanging glaciers in the Norwegian fjords as are in the Chilean fjords.  And while it does look somewhat like Alaska the Norwegian architecture is so charming.

I did a 14-night Norwegian fjords cruise on HAL out of Amsterdam in 2019, and it was stunningly beautiful. We also lucked out with gorgeous weather, in the 50s to 70s F and sunny much of the time. My Iceland comparison was a land trip in 2016, I would like to go back to see more of that amazing country! I'm still working on a trips to Scotland and Ireland.

In your shoes, I'd lean toward the Norway cruise, especially since you have better opportunities for land-based trips to Scotland and Ireland (compared to me in the Midwestern US). However, I don't think you can go wrong either way!

I was in the same dilemma……so I chose Both! I’m booked on the Apex 6 June Iceland/Ireland back to Amsterdam, then 18 June 7N to Norway. That fixed my ‘dilemma’!!

I looked at the 9N Norway and 12N Iceland the OP is considering, but decided I liked the 7N Norway because it calls into Alesund which I understand is one of the more beautiful villages. It doesn’t call into Oslo which the 9N does. Tough call. Also, the June Iceland itinerary calls into Dover, which haven’t really explored around there. All the itineraries are just fantastic. 

We are all so lucky to have these ‘dilemmas’ aren't we! Will spend some time in Amsterdam also. 

Den

• Like 2

We did both of these cruises in the early 2000s. The fjords was in August when the Constellation was new. Iceland was on Holland America (with Perry Grant).  Both my husband and I thought the Iceland trip was far more interesting. The fjords have snow in June, not August. Just our opinion. 

We faced a similar dilemma and ended up taking our first cruise on Princess - two weeks leaving from Southampton to Norway then Iceland. It was fabulous. I would say that the fjords are not to be missed if you are interested in gorgeous scenery!

Don't know if it's still out there, but we did a a 12 night on RCL's Brilliance that went to the Norwegian Fjords (including Aalesund and Geiringer), a stop in the Faroe Islands, and an overnight in Reykjavik. That was an amazing cruise! I haven't looked, but I'm guessing that's not an option on Celebrity, and I don't know if Apex could dock in Geiringer, which frankly shouldn't be missed!

Not much help. Nice problem to have!

22 hours ago, ian441672 said:

We've always wanted to do the Norwegian Fjords which look spectacular, and we have seen the 2023 deals just out, for 9 nights in the (newly branded?) Sunset Sky Suite (Aft) for £8258 (approx $11000) including £600 OBC, which looks good. 

However, just seen a 12 nights Iceland / bit of Scotland and Ireland 12 nighter for same room for £9758 ($13100) including £800 OBC, which looks equally as spectacular.

So, spoilt for choice, can anyone give some views, anyone done one of both, or just suggestions?  Both are early August - decent weather up there?; bit of sunbathing?!

We did one of the first voyages around Greece / Dubrovnik this August on the Apex, so we know and absolutely love the ship, just deciding on the itinerary! I konw it wont be as quiet next time....!

Thanks.

Are those prices per person??

Hello,

I've done Iceland twice on Eclipse and Norway too many times to count on too many ships to name.

In August you will not see any spectacular waterfalls in either as all the meltwater will have gone by March/April.

In Iceland you will not see any high snow topped mountains as there is nothing over 2500feet  - I did not measure them but that was the guide told us. Norway does have high mountains as glaciers did not decapitate them during the ice age. But Norway suffers from mist/fog making some viewing difficult whereas Iceland does not so much.

In August Iceland can be hot - and I mean 'hot' not just 'warm' whereas Norway just gets to warm.

There is more to see at ground level, and below, in Iceland than there is in Norway with all the natural geography, tectonic plate activity and geysers.

Regards,

Cublet

On 12/5/2021 at 12:16 PM, ian441672 said:

Thanks.

We have done a Norway, North Cape (highly recommended) cruise and one visiting Scotland, Ireland and Iceland.  Both are excellent cruises.    Celebrity doesn't do a Norway North Cape cruise, but Royal C. and NCL do.  We did Royal C and loved it.  If you go to Iceland, go for a week and take the Ring Road Tour for a week with Nordic Visitor.  Iceland deserves that rather than one day.

We’ve done both of these and both are unique in different ways.  The Fjords are some of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen.  Great hiking adventures if that is something you like to do.  More varied in ports as well.  We did private tours in Iceland which were great. Also, loved the part of the cruise that covered Ireland.  We are doing that cruise again in August with our daughter and SIL.  You can’t go wrong with either one.  There just different!