Lost Luggage

bbtondo

Hope the airline experts here can give me some advice.  I checked luggage with AA in MIA.  Flight was cancelled just as we were supposed to board our flight for our Nov 1st Iconic Med cruise BCN to Rome. Got a new flight 7 hours later.  According to my Tile luggage tracker my checked bag was not on my new plane and stayed in MIA.

To this day, haven't received my luggage.  I have had many calls and emails between AA.  My Tile luggage tracker has my luggage  sitting in BCN since 3 days after the cruise left the port.  My luggage has been well tagged with all my information.  Yesterday I got another confirmation from Tile that as of Dec 9, 2021 at 1:35AM my luggage is at Term 1 at BCN. 

I have given all this information to AA.  No one wants to listen .  I want my luggage.  Any advice?

If you booked air through a TA or Viking get them on to it.

Viking might be able to find someone (local agent perhaps) who can go to the airport and get them to ship the bag to you, or collect it on your behalf and send it cargo. 

Edited by KBs mum

Not sure if this is helpful, but here’s some info about the lost luggage dept at BCN:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/lost-property/barcelona-airport-lost-luggage-department.html 

Maybe someone at BCN can confirm that it’s there, and you could use that info to pressure AA into doing what it’s supposed to do.

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

What does the bag tracker in the AA app say?

AA app tracker said my bag went from MIA to JFK to LHR then nothing....  Also told AA and they didn't have any other information  then that.

Also told AA where the bag was various times, but no action.  I even offered them to fly me to BCN and I would be more than happy to pick it up myself. LOL

4 hours ago, Twitchly said:

Not sure if this is helpful, but here’s some info about the lost luggage dept at BCN:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/faq/lost-property/barcelona-airport-lost-luggage-department.html 

Maybe someone at BCN can confirm that it’s there, and you could use that info to pressure AA into doing what it’s supposed to do.

I was looking at that.  I did file a claim at BCN.  Unfortunately I don't speak Spanish.

4 hours ago, KBs mum said:

If you booked air through a TA or Viking get them on to it.

Viking might be able to find someone (local agent perhaps) who can go to the airport and get them to ship the bag to you, or collect it on your behalf and send it cargo. 

Good idea!  It's not Viking's fault that AA lost my luggage.  As soon as I boarded the ship I spoke to guest relations, and eventually the Supervisor who said they were searching for my luggage.  I kept telling them it was at BCN and asked them to send a rep from Viking over there to look.  They did not. No one seems to be listening to me....

1 hour ago, LindaS272 said:

Check Elliott website now—he has upper echelon listings for AA. Terrible blunder on AAs part. Good luck.

Don't bother writing to Doug Parker.  He's retiring as CEO in a few months....and also has a reputation that the customer is never right.

13 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Don't bother writing to Doug Parker.  He's retiring as CEO in a few months....and also has a reputation that the customer is never right.

Appreciate your advice.  There's always a reason to not ask a question.  I believe if ya don't ask, ya don't get!

Update to my lost luggage.  Per Tile my luggage has been sitting at BCN since Nov 3rd.  Yesterday after asking for help and advice here, I emailed Mr. Ewing at AA and the person that was handling my lost luggage claim at AA again for the 3rd time.  In the email I advised them again, where my luggage has been since the beginning of November.  In my email I mentioned I would be contacting Elliott.org and also getting legal representation on the matter.  Hated to do this, but I've had enough.

So, this morning I get a text from the BCN lost luggage Section where I filed a claim for missing luggage after I landed on Nov 1, 2021.  It was in Spanish.  Thanks to a google translate app I got, it said my luggage is at BCN and will be put on a flight BCN to MAD to MIA!

I looked at my tile app and sure enough, my luggage had moved from BCN Term I near the lost luggage desk, and appeared on the map just outside the  walkway to board a plane at BCN.  My luggage was on a plane!  Yes, there is a Santa Claus!!!

Of course I notified Mr. Ewing and the person at AA at luggage claim, and forwarded that information to them.  I also said I expect my luggage at my home soon.  I also requested for compensation for AA ruining my trip of a lifetime, etc.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.  It is sooo appreciated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Luggage update.  Since giving AA my checked bag on October 31, 2021, it was finally returned to me last night!  If it wasn't for my Tile luggage locator and many, many phone calls and emails to many people, this would have never taken so long and I highly doubt I would have ever gotten my luggage returned. The only way I can describe what each and every person I communicated with is this:  They all acted like it was their first day on the job, although it wasn't.   Both AA and Viking. 

As to Viking, although it wasn't their fault that my luggage was lost by AA, their attempts to locate it was unsuccessful.  I showed them my Tile app exactly where my luggage was at BCN which included a map of where in the airport it was.  I asked them to call lost luggage at BCN.  Gave them my receipt from BCN for my lost luggage.  Asked them to send a Viking rep to BCN to get it.  All they kept telling me was they couldn't find it.  WHAT??  

The good was that Viking gave us free laundry and a $150 SBC.  I bought a sweet Viking jacket with the SBC.

• Like 1

What a story!  So sorry you had such a fiasco with your luggage!  I think I will have to get a Tile now.

Having been through scenarios where I didn't have access to my luggage, I do everything in my power to hold on to my luggage until I reach my destination.  I do carry ons exclusively, and will do a gate check if they require it.  On my cruise last August, there were at least 3 people on my Viking shuttle from the airport to the ship that were mentioning that their luggage had not shown up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Luggage update.  Since giving AA my checked bag on October 31, 2021, it was finally returned to me last night!  If it wasn't for my Tile luggage locator and many, many phone calls and emails to many people, this would have never taken so long and I highly doubt I would have ever gotten my luggage returned. The only way I can describe what each and every person I communicated with is this:  They all acted like it was their first day on the job, although it wasn't.   Both AA and Viking. 

As to Viking, although it wasn't their fault that my luggage was lost by AA, their attempts to locate it was unsuccessful.  I showed them my Tile app exactly where my luggage was at BCN which included a map of where in the airport it was.  I asked them to call lost luggage at BCN.  Gave them my receipt from BCN for my lost luggage.  Asked them to send a Viking rep to BCN to get it.  All they kept telling me was they couldn't find it.  WHAT??  

The good was that Viking gave us free laundry and a $150 SBC.  I bought a sweet Viking jacket with the SBC.

Very happy you finally received your luggage!  You’ve sold me on getting a tike tracker.  Which brand/model do you have?

20 hours ago, rizello said:

What a story!  So sorry you had such a fiasco with your luggage!  I think I will have to get a Tile now.

Having been through scenarios where I didn't have access to my luggage, I do everything in my power to hold on to my luggage until I reach my destination.  I do carry ons exclusively, and will do a gate check if they require it.  On my cruise last August, there were at least 3 people on my Viking shuttle from the airport to the ship that were mentioning that their luggage had not shown up.

It is quite a story.  I am sending my story to Tile telling them how much I love their product.  

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing---a strong testament to Tile. I have always relied on AA app for tracking but now I am researching Tile.

Do you mind sharing more info---did you subscribe to a plan or did this work just using their free service?

Also---when your bag was found, was it missing your ID tags and/or the airline scannable tag? I'm wondering how it missed being scanned departing MIA and arrival scan at BCN---that's really bad.

23 hours ago, broker1217 said:

Thanks for sharing---a strong testament to Tile. I have always relied on AA app for tracking but now I am researching Tile.

Do you mind sharing more info---did you subscribe to a plan or did this work just using their free service?

Also---when your bag was found, was it missing your ID tags and/or the airline scannable tag? I'm wondering how it missed being scanned departing MIA and arrival scan at BCN---that's really bad.

Did not pay anything extra to Tile. Used their basic service that came with it.   I originally bought it as a toy.  I bought 2 pro tiles that had the changeable batteries in them.  The baggage tracking on AA was useless.  It didn't track my luggage and AA had no idea where it was.  When my bag was "found" it wasn't missing anything and in great shape with all tags attached.  When I received it, it was like the day I checked it in MIA. I had three luggage tags on it and my "card" I give out with all my info on it in the slot outside the luggage for cards.  One of them being the large red Viking cruise tag.  2 of them bright neon green. All had my Name, address, cell number, cruise information and Rome Hotel, all with dates.  In BIG letters:  Call me on my cell XXX if found.  The Viking rep at BCN helped me by translating spanish for us with the gentleman at the BCN lost luggage counter in Term 1 when I submitted the lost luggage claim just after arrival at BCN.  The Viking rep at BCN was excellent and assured me I would get my luggage delivered to the Viking Sea when it arrived in BCN.  DIDN'T HAPPEN. 

The ironic part of all of this, is that the luggage never was lost.  It was late to BCN by 2 days and had been sitting in Term I in the lost luggage section.  I knew this because my Tile said so. LOL  I told anyone that would listen in phone calls and emails exactly where it was and included the map and GPS coordinates that Tile listed.  

Like I said, I am grateful that Viking gave us free laundry and a $150 OBC.  Unfortunately no one, including a supervisor at guest services listen to me.  I asked them to send a Viking Rep to BCN to get my luggage.  I gave them a copy of my lost luggage claim I made at BCN and asked Viking to call them. The Supervisor there asked me in a condescending tone, if I had proof that my luggage was at BCN I showed him and gave him the map and GPC coordinates of my luggage location.  I was told continuously by Viking that they had no cell service to call.  Yet there was Viking internet I was using the entire time which was very good and my Verizon cell phone had incoming and out going calls.  I hate to say it, but I call BS.

Unfortunately, this entire situation has put a very bad taste in my mouth with American Airlines and Viking.  I say with Viking since NO ONE there took any initiative to even make a simple phone call and go to BCN.  

• Like 1