Observations From The Poop Deck Christmas/New Years Equinox

morpheusofthesea

Here is a tip for those booking balcony cabins on this itinerary this time of the year. If one desires sunshine on their balcony ALL DAY (morning and afternoon, the sun is lower) book a cabin on the Starboard side. I desire shade and it is the only mistake I made booking this cabin on the Starboard side.

• Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is a tip for those booking balcony cabins on this itinerary this time of the year. If one desires sunshine on their balcony ALL DAY (morning and afternoon, the sun is lower) book a cabin on the Starboard side. I desire shade and it is the only mistake I made booking this cabin on the Starboard side.

Isn't it opposite on the outbound and the return legs so it really doesn't matter?  Maybe more of a factor if you have more sea days on the outbound or return legs.  For me it wouldn't matter. For non-E-class ships, I always stay on the non-smoking side.

6 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Isn't it opposite on the outbound and the return legs so it really doesn't matter?  Maybe more of a factor if you have more sea days on the outbound or return legs.  For me it wouldn't matter. For non-E-class ships, I always stay on the non-smoking side.

Yes, that is the theory.

Certainly not my intension. Sorry you are offended. We were on B2B in October and had the best cruise ever. If I recall correctly, I believe we had 3 pax cases one cruise and 4 the next cruise. Come to think of it, there is no way you would know how many are in quarintine, so that was a stupid question on my part. 

This 'situation' in the world of cruising at the present moment is akin to knowing when to jump into or out off "The Market". We all know that for the general public market timing does not work. But we also read about a select few that make fortunes. I am not talking about cruise line stocks. I talking cruise line vacations.  We are having a fabulous time on board the Celebrity Equinox. The service is the best we have ever had in 50 years of cruising. So far the 'situation' has depressed capacity sailings for the greater enjoyment of those that sail. I envy those that will be sailing these next few months. They will have an even more enjoyable time.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, 39august said:

Certainly not my intension. Sorry you are offended. We were on B2B in October and had the best cruise ever. If I recall correctly, I believe we had 3 pax cases one cruise and 4 the next cruise. Come to think of it, there is no way you would know how many are in quarintine, so that was a stupid question on my part. 

I don’t think it was a stupid question. I think they are as many people curious about the circumstances surrounding COVID, as there are people wanting to not be reminded of it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

This 'situation' in the world of cruising at the present moment is akin to knowing when to jump into or out off "The Market". We all know that for the general public market timing does not work. But we also read about a select few that make fortunes. I am not talking about cruise line stocks. I talking cruise line vacations.  We are having a fabulous time on board the Celebrity Equinox. The service is the best we have ever had in 50 years of cruising. So far the 'situation' has depressed capacity sailings for the greater enjoyment of those that sail. I envy those that will be sailing these next few months. They will have an even more enjoyable time.

I’m happy you’re having a great time and enjoying the meals and fabulous service on the Equinox. I’ve been reading the Royal Caribbean boards and their ships are a mess with COVID cases and rerouting of ports. Stay safe and healthy.

Captain Matt gave us his 6 pm announcement. Two more guests reported to 'sick bay' with symptoms and tested positive, 3 of their close contacts were also tested positive. All 5 are now isolated on the medical deck. i am guessing this makes a total of 15 cases this cruise.

Port of call tomorrow morning at 8 am is St . Maartin, "Free Flow" port of call, passengers can come and go as they please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

I’m happy you’re having a great time and enjoying the meals and fabulous service on the Equinox. I’ve been reading the Royal Caribbean boards and their ships are a mess with COVID cases and rerouting of ports. Stay safe and healthy.

Since RCCL is the parent company, one would surmise that they and the CDC would put their heads together with all the other cruise lines and come up with a better solution. Above our pay grade as 'armchair experts".

P.S. Luminae had a lamb shank tonight so tender, the meat fell off the bone. Over heard a lady 5 tables over from our table tell everyone 4 times it was the best meal this cruise.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Captain Matt gave us his 6 pm announcement. Two more guests reported to 'sick bay' with symptoms and tested positive, 3 of their close contacts were also tested positive. All 5 are now isolated on the medical deck. i am guessing this makes a total of 15 cases this cruise.

Port of call tomorrow morning at 8 am is St . Maartin, "Free Flow" port of call, passengers can come and go as they please.

I wonder if they’re all going to be placed on the same medivac back to the US tomorrow once you arrive in St Maarten or are they going to keep them quarantined on the ship until you get back to Ft Lauderdale? I guess if you see a convoy of ambulances lining up at the pier tomorrow, you’ll have the answer.

I know we had 3 ambulances waiting in Cartagena a few days ago to fly 2 C19 infected passengers along with their immediate families back to the US. But 15 positive cases plus immediate families is quite the group.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I wonder if they’re all going to be placed on the same medivac back to the US tomorrow once you arrive in St Maarten or are they going to keep them quarantined on the ship until you get back to Ft Lauderdale? I guess if you see a convoy of ambulances lining up at the pier tomorrow, you’ll have the answer.

I know we had 3 ambulances waiting in Cartagena a few days ago to fly 2 C19 infected passengers along with their immediate families back to the US. But 15 positive cases plus immediate families is quite the group.

@morpheusofthesea I just talked with our Customer Service rep here on the Connie, as we have 2 new cases in quarantine. The patients actually have the option of either being flown back home at the next port OR staying on the ship and continuing to quarantine in The Red Zone. I’m guessing that’s the same option being given to the C19 positive patients on the Equinox. 

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

@morpheusofthesea I just talked with our Customer Service rep here on the Connie, as we have 2 new cases in quarantine. The patients actually have the option of either being flown back home at the next port OR staying on the ship and continuing to quarantine in The Red Zone. I’m guessing that’s the same option being given to the C19 positive patients on the Equinox. 

And then what?  Are they flown home from Florida?  

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the “red zone”?

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

have 2 new cases in quarantine. The patients actually have the option of either being flown back home at the next port OR staying on the ship and continuing to quarantine in The Red Zone

Just wondering the significance of the options. Flown home/home (inside or outside the US?). Or flown back to US port of embarkation, quarantining in a Flea Bag Hotel for 5/10/ whenever testing negative with 'spotty' room service, then getting Celebrity assistance with commercial flights home or two lowers on the inside with Celebrity service ? Then debarked into Flea Bag Hotel......

Today we are docked at St. Maartin, a "free flow" port of call. Guests just need to disembark with seapass card (room key card) copy of vax and wear a mask indoors and outdoors while on the island. We are joined by the NCL Joy on our 'shady' port side and the Regent Explorer, Wind Surf (world's largest sailing ship (With Sails), and Marella Discovery on our 'sunny' starboard side.

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just wondering the significance of the options. Flown home/home (inside or outside the US?). Or flown back to US port of embarkation, quarantining in a Flea Bag Hotel for 5/10/ whenever testing negative with 'spotty' room service, then getting Celebrity assistance with commercial flights home or two lowers on the inside with Celebrity service ? Then debarked into Flea Bag Hotel......

I know the father and daughter, who are both symptomless and staying onboard in the Red Zone for the duration of the cruise (ending Jan 3), are hoping they test negative after 5 days (Dec 31) and can go back to their cabins. I personally don’t know the rules, but that’s their hope.

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I know the father and daughter, who are both symptomless and staying onboard in the Red Zone for the duration of the cruise (ending Jan 3), are hoping they test negative after 5 days (Dec 31) and can go back to their cabins. I personally don’t know the rules, but that’s their hope.

"You are a better  man than me, Gunga (Ken)". There is no way I am leaving my cabin to find out what is going on in the "Red Zone". My days as a reporter are limited to my 'armchair'. I will leave the reporting  of these on board cases to hearsay, gossip, and down right fabrication.

• Like 2