NCL Not Notifying Customers They Can Cancel for FCC

CarolinaMamma

I found out about the reinstatement of the Peace of Mind policy here on CC. I have a cruise scheduled for January 16th and have received no notification from NCL or my TA. Has anyone else?

Of course if NCL sends an email to all customers letting them know that POM has been reinstated, they will get a slew of cancellations, which is probably why they’re not doing it. 

Yes, NCL quietly updated their website, but the average person isn’t going to go digging through it to find this information.

I was on another social media site where a person said, “I called NCL and they said I can cancel without penalty.” I asked if they meant FCC and they said yes. I hate to break it to them, but 100% FCC IS a penalty, because you can’t book the same cruise for the same price any time this year.  I find the language “cancel without penalty” a little deceptive. Still, from that post, it was clear that most people had no idea they could cancel for FCC.

I sympathize with the cruise lines and the money they are losing, but this seems pretty sneaky of NCL. If I do decide to cancel, it makes me more inclined to use CFAR insurance than to have any money tied up in FCC with this company. 

1 minute ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I found out about the reinstatement of the Peace of Mind policy here on CC. I have a cruise scheduled for January 16th and have received no notification from NCL or my TA. Has anyone else?

Of course if NCL sends an email to all customers letting them know that POM has been reinstated, they will get a slew of cancellations, which is probably why they’re not doing it. 

Yes, NCL quietly updated their website, but the average person isn’t going to go digging through it to find this information.

I was on another social media site where a person said, “I called NCL and they said I can cancel without penalty.” I asked if they meant FCC and they said yes. I hate to break it to them, but 100% FCC IS a penalty, because you can’t book the same cruise for the same price any time this year.  I find the language “cancel without penalty” a little deceptive. Still, from that post, it was clear that most people had no idea they could cancel for FCC.

I sympathize with the cruise lines and the money they are losing, but this seems pretty sneaky of NCL. If I do decide to cancel, it makes me more inclined to use CFAR insurance than to have any money tied up in FCC with this company. 

While our cruise is February 12, 2022, we also did not receive any notification.  I also found out through Cruise Critic.  

We haven't received any notification either.  However, I learned a long time ago that I need to be actively involved in researching when it comes to cruising.  I learned it after going on a couple of cruises and then cruising NCL, assuming there would be conditioner in the bathroom and that I didn't have to make reservations for shows.  LOL.  Even though it's not the same thing, research pays off and keeps me informed.  Surely, if someone is concerned about covid they would call and ask about their options.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

We haven't received any notification either.  However, I learned a long time ago that I need to be actively involved in researching when it comes to cruising.  I learned it after going on a couple of cruises and then cruising NCL, assuming there would be conditioner in the bathroom and that I didn't have to make reservations for shows.  LOL.  Even though it's not the same thing, research pays off and keeps me informed.  Surely, if someone is concerned about covid they would call and ask about their options.

I agree with you, and that’s why I spend so much time on CC, but most cruisers don’t. A lot of people may cruise even though they are uncomfortable with ut, because they assume they’ll lose all their money if they cancel, or they may call NCL 24 hours before their cruise, when it’s too late to get the FCC. This is a major enough change that I think telling people about it would be the right thing for NCL to do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This applies to airlines and hotels also.  I have a flight booked in a few weeks and checked my reservation yesterday.  There has been a change in departure time and I have not received an email from the airlines that this happened.  And a hotel I was considering booking back in April was undergoing hurricane repairs and all of the amenities that were advertised were unavailable during the time I wanted to stay there.  Staying on top of all the planning helps make sure my trips run smoothly and also gives me the options to make back up plans for the inevitable bumps in the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've found the same is true, in all areas of service these past couple of years, and you need to be proactive and patient with replies.

However, I would not have know about the Peace of Mind changing except for this board which I'm thankful to have found.

Even when I spoke to NCL last Friday this was not an option for me to consider.  I was told that unless you tested positive, or any of the other disclaimers, you were stuck with the 75% penalty.

Regardless, my current plans are to continue to with reservation at this point but one should expect the same level of communication after booking as you had before.  It is not too much to ask.

I agree. I find NCL’s lack of transparency very off putting.  Not only on the FCC but on their Covid numbers in general and reasons for port changes etc., especially to actual passengers on any given sailing.  I will be rethinking sailing with them again after my next cruise in 5 days.  Honestly o would have canceled but I don’t want FCC with NCL. 

• Like 2

NCL is very clearly making decisions solely on what's best for their bottom line.  They do not want to know the true number of cases on their ships right now and are not doing any contact tracing or encouraging those with symptoms to be tested while onboard.  

There seem to be a lot of passengers who don't seem to care either and continuing to party and spread it around the ship.  I'm aware of at least 5 confirmed passenger cases on the Getaway at the moment, but my guess is that the true number is much, much higher.  

If you don't want to get Covid, I would not recommend getting on a cruise right now.  I did everything possible to avoid getting it both before and during the cruise, and here I am.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My opinion is that if a person is only vaccinated or only has had a prior infection, they should be prepared. I think people who have been vaccinated and have had covid are in a much better position.  So far, nobody I know who is vaccinated and has had covid has gotten this new variant.  But I know many people who are vaccinated and have covid.  Also, my grandson had covid in September and is positive for it now (no symptoms). 

That is why I think people who are extremely high risk and only vaccinated should really think twice about traveling right now.  The extremely high risk person I know (vaccinated and boosted) is on day 12 of some rough symptoms.  I can't imagine him getting this while cruising.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I received an email but I have  no intention of canceling so i deleted it.  

What is your sail date? Do you remember when you received the email? I’m just curious how far in advance if the cruises NCL is sharing this info. 

we are scheduled for Jan 16th and haven’t received anything from NCL. 

10 minutes ago, CarolinaMamma said:

What is your sail date? Do you remember when you received the email? I’m just curious how far in advance if the cruises NCL is sharing this info. 

i am sailing Feb 13.   It came on the 31st.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I heard about it on Shipmate app (Cruiseline's app) on Dec 30th, and my Travel Agent sent me NCL's official notice on Dec 31st. It applies to all new and existing sailings booked up to January 2022. Here is it:

1187202840_Screenshot2022-01-0414_15_18.thumb.png.c3a3463422b0e0e59bc5c8787c6c11a6.png

• Thanks 1

No notification on POM, although I did get an email from NCL this morning regarding how important it is to buy their insurance. 

I find the current POM  policy unfortunate because it requires you to travel within 2022 to use the FCC, and it's unlikely we would be able to use it later this year, especially with NCL's limited offerings in the fall for the destinations we prefer. (And if we did sail, we certainly wouldn't get the same room type for a similar price). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

We are also sailing on the 16th and Yes we received an email from NCL on December 31st but it was mostly about masks but the information regarding canceling was buried in one of their links at the bottom of the email letter. The link was this   https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19     As far as NCL is concerned they did in fact notify us. NCL is not doing anything any differently than the other cruise lines at this moment, they are actually handling this a bit better than HAL and Princess. Could they be a bit more transparent?? Yes but they are not doing like Princess is doing in shutting down phone lines phone lines only being available for 4 hours a day.

The email read this on the 31st, and you needed to down load the attached titled Face Mask Requirement.

23 minutes ago, SireDoime said:

Yes, I heard about it on Shipmate app (Cruiseline's app) on Dec 30th, and my Travel Agent sent me NCL's official notice on Dec 31st. It applies to all new and existing sailings booked up to January 2022. Here is it:

1187202840_Screenshot2022-01-0414_15_18.thumb.png.c3a3463422b0e0e59bc5c8787c6c11a6.png

My embarkation is the 21st of this month.

11 hours ago, CarolinaMamma said:

I have worked in various areas of travel/tourism. Some TAs will have it set up so that all info goes directly to them an then they pass it along. I am not defending anyone here, but there are many things that can be the reason people don’t receive notices. Emails on reservations are usually only sent to the first guest listed on a res. Receiving general mass market emails vs  cruise specific doesn’t mean they haven’t been sent. Just an FYI 

Edited by Sealover1203
  • Thanks 1