EVENING TURN DOWN SERVICE

Tablelamp

They had wanted to do away with it for some time and it hasn't been done since Covid. The stewards get redeployed on other jobs during the afternoon/evening. You can/do still get the chocolates, fresh towels if you specifically request them. They will also come in to put down any Pullman beds but it's not a traditional second clean/service of the room 

As already mentioned, other cruise lines have not stopped doing it, so why on earth do P&O think they can.

Yet another cut back by P&O.  I can confirm that it is still being done in Suites however.

One of the lovely things about going on a cruise was that every grade of cabin had a turn down service - you don't get this in hotels other than 4/5 star.

Yet another reason to avoid P&O, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

I do my own evening turn down service at home. Grab the duvet and give it a shake, plump the pillows and job done. Takes all of 20 seconds. They could keep it for the posh cabins or charge for it, say £3 per person per day to get your duvet shaken 😉

• Haha 3

We were on Britannia in November, in a suite, and we did had a turn down service - including a pillow chocolate!  We were told that is was for suites only. Our next cruise is in a balcony, and I’m under the impression that we will be without this service.  

1 hour ago, Cruise Puss said:

As already mentioned, other cruise lines have not stopped doing it, so why on earth do P&O think they can.

Yet another cut back by P&O.  I can confirm that it is still being done in Suites however.

One of the lovely things about going on a cruise was that every grade of cabin had a turn down service - you don't get this in hotels other than 4/5 star.

Yet another reason to avoid P&O, I'm afraid.

I agree - I want first class service - for me it’s important and for the prices I pay P&O I expect it- it’s lovely to come back to a turned down room in the evening .

Going on saga hopefully in September - which I have heard is really good - so may switch to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lets face it, Carnival have decided P&O is a mass market cruise line and as such has to keep the prices cheap to fill their increasingly large ships. They could try the MSC 'Yacht club' idea, a ship within a ship or basically 1st class with one way segregation in favour of the 1st class passengers. The problem is I think they may have to redesign the ships to do it. Or they could say have Arcadia and Aurora offering a superior service. Won't work as you have to have a consistent product across your brand other wise there is confusion and strife as demonstrated when the Oceana had different dress codes according to the season. Remember, people DON'T read the small print.

• Like 2

Yes agree - We only usually go on Arcadia or Aurora - as they are adults only - so in that way they are already different - so it could work having a premium service - maybe. Still enjoy it anyway but it’s those extras which make it special.

41 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

agree - I want first class service - for me it’s important and for the prices I pay P&O I expect it- it’s lovely to come back to a turned down room in the evening .

Let's face it, P&O is not expensive.  In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest out there. 

We are on Saga later this year,  and expect a turn down service, but fare is double what we would pay on P&O. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I do my own evening turn down service at home. Grab the duvet and give it a shake, plump the pillows and job done. Takes all of 20 seconds. They could keep it for the posh cabins or charge for it, say £3 per person per day to get your duvet shaken 😉

Not sure which P&O ships you have sailed on, but on all ours they have had a daytime covering on the beds with cushions, which the steward removes and stows away in the under bed storage, and of course some passengers need the bunks or sofa beds making up. 

I hope the evening service is restarted before our next cruise in June.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Let's face it, P&O is not expensive.  In fact, it's probably one of the cheapest out there. 

We are on Saga later this year,  and expect a turn down service, but fare is double what we would pay on P&O. 

For balcony cabin ? I haven’t found it was cheap ? cheaper than saga but saga are all inclusive and very special -

I found Marella the best value so far - all inclusive - not quite the same standard as P&O - but very near it - and they still did a turn down last time - great service and the all inclusive drinks were good quality.

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

I agree - I want first class service - for me it’s important and for the prices I pay P&O I expect it- it’s lovely to come back to a turned down room in the evening .

Going on saga hopefully in September - which I have heard is really good - so may switch to them.

We have already booked two cruises on Saga this year - one in April and one in August. Have heard they are keen on a more traditional cruising experience which we certainly prefer. I can also highly recommend Princess. We tried them last year and have already booked two more - one this year and one next.😊

• Like 1

Took a seacation on Princess in late summer. 

We were in a standard balcony and were offered an optional turndown service when our cabin steward gave us our welcome chat. We chose not to have a turndown. Perhaps P&O could adopt the same . Actually ask the customer what they would like? Everyone would be happy then ..... hopefully 🙃

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Took a seacation on Princess in late summer. 

We were in a standard balcony and were offered an optional turndown service when our cabin steward gave us our welcome chat. We chose not to have a turndown. Perhaps P&O could adopt the same . Actually ask the customer what they would like? Everyone would be happy then ..... hopefully 🙃

Good idea 👍 

15 minutes ago, Cruise Puss said:

We have already booked two cruises on Saga this year - one in April and one in August. Have heard they are keen on a more traditional cruising experience which we certainly prefer. I can also highly recommend Princess. We tried them last year and have already booked two more - one this year and one next.😊

Thanks for the Princess tip - will check it out.

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

For balcony cabin ? I haven’t found it was cheap ? cheaper than saga but saga are all inclusive and very special -

I found Marella the best value so far - all inclusive - not quite the same standard as P&O - but very near it - and they still did a turn down last time - great service and the all inclusive drinks were good quality.

I've never found Marella to be that cheap, even taking the drinks package into account. Our next cruise on Arcadia (balcony cabin) is £127 pppd, and next year,  Azura (deluxe balcony cabin) including flights is £98 pppd.  Never found anything comparable on Marella.

5 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

We particularly like the Princess Plus option which includes WiFi, drinks, tips. As an optional add on at £30 pp a day, reckon it gives good value... for us anyway. 

Yeah that’s a good deal - very good . 

Just now, paulatsea said:

Thanks wowzz - do princess do adults only ?

No, but depending on the cruise and time of year, the number of children will be limited. Plus of course, the vaccination requirements for children is currently having an impact.

7 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Yes looks good - do princess do adults only do you know ? Anyone ?

No adults only. Have often travelled on Princess and rarely had problems. If going to America avoid the Spring Break holidays and most people stay at home over Thanksgiving so ships are less full. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

No adults only. Have often travelled on Princess and rarely had problems. If going to America avoid the Spring Break holidays and most people stay at home over Thanksgiving so ships are less full. 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The Princess Plus package at £30 pppd is a bargain ! 

We have that on our cruise on sky Princess in October, it was part of the deal for booking early

Edited by Bazrat

2 hours ago, Cruise Puss said:

I would also recommend Princess, we go with Princess or Celebrity for summer cruises but because OH can't fly we are pretty much stuck with P&O for winter cruises.  P&O are pretty good when you consider the price of their cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1