PCR test turnaround time at disembarkation

juksing

Hello

Today is my final payment date for our long planned Mar 14  cruise and am looking for information on wether there has been any feedback on the turnaround time for the PCR test?  Just re-read the website and it looks like it is no longer offered on board but rather at the pier!  We are from Canada so need a PCR test to return and my original 4pm return flight cancelled and was autorebooked by airline  to 7am (way too early as ship is just docking) and only flight that was offered by Flights by Celebrity was a 11:55 am so I am concerned on the timing of all this.  This cruise is during the Ontario March break so traditionally this cruise would have quite a few Canadians but with all the restrictions things may be different.

any feedback on the PCR test timings would be appreciated, thanks!

1 hour ago, juksing said:

Hello

Today is my final payment date for our long planned Mar 14  cruise and am looking for information on wether there has been any feedback on the turnaround time for the PCR test?  Just re-read the website and it looks like it is no longer offered on board but rather at the pier!  We are from Canada so need a PCR test to return and my original 4pm return flight cancelled and was autorebooked by airline  to 7am (way too early as ship is just docking) and only flight that was offered by Flights by Celebrity was a 11:55 am so I am concerned on the timing of all this.  This cruise is during the Ontario March break so traditionally this cruise would have quite a few Canadians but with all the restrictions things may be different.

11 minutes ago, toronto guys said:

We are on the Apex departing Feb 29, 2022 and were told since we are from Canada that we will get tested on the ship on the last sea day and not on debarkation. You may want to give Celebrity a call.

Bruce

Please see the thread below for some details.  I think timing will really depend on if they get this process figured out and can get more organized.  If you can carry your luggage off and be some of the first appoints (if they are booking appointments) or first in line you could be ok.  Our testing people had 5 machines and each machine ran 1 test in 30 minutes. 

toronto guys - I'm not sure when you were told that, but it changed on January 2 for our January 3 departure and the website wording was changed last week to confirm the testing will be in the terminal on disembarkation.  The wording on the website still said the testing would be on the ship on January 3 when we got off the Constellation and they essentially told us too bad, the process had changed and we could not get our tests while onboard.

Hi Albertacruisers

thanks for info.   Does Constellation port out of MIA?   I read through the earlier thread and couldn‘t see your timings,  I know you were probably on one of the 1st cruises doing the port side testing so things may have been messier but Approx how long did it take you to get through the testing and get the results?  Were the results by email or paper? Did you make an appointment for the testing onboard?  We have the 11:55 flight out of FLL so are concerned about timing considering this is a March Break cruise for a CAD.   If we decide to go I really do not want to stress over the testing in addition to everyth8ng else during the entire cruise!  

4 minutes ago, juksing said:

Hi Albertacruisers

thanks for info.   Does Constellation port out of MIA?   I read through the earlier thread and couldn‘t see your timings,  I know you were probably on one of the 1st cruises doing the port side testing so things may have been messier but Approx how long did it take you to get through the testing and get the results?  Were the results by email or paper? Did you make an appointment for the testing onboard?  We have the 11:55 flight out of FLL so are concerned about timing considering this is a March Break cruise for a CAD.   If we decide to go I really do not want to stress over the testing in addition to everyth8ng else during the entire cruise!  

No, Constellation was out of Tampa.  MIA may be better just because it is bigger and has more ships, so hopefully is more organized.

We only found about about the change on Jan 2 for the Jan 3 disembarkation, so no, there were no appointments.  Also, I think that added to the confusion and disorganization, so hopefully it will be better going forward.  I'm not sure if they will go with appointments going forward or not.  They had changed the process to the port in Oct when we were on the Equinox (it was the first leg of a back to back), and our friends booked an appointment, but the ship was late getting into port and everyone ended up just lining up.

Email only for results.  We got in line at 7:30 am, because we were told they would start testing at 7:30, but they didn't get there until after 8 and started testing at 8:30.  We were about 15 or 20 people back in the line.  We were tested at around 9:00 and had our results just after 11:00, but there was an issue because we were talking to people that were tested before us and didn't have their results back yet.

We are going again in April (probably) and I have booked our flights the next day, so we have the extra day in case there are any issues.  It was really stressful getting off the ship without results with the flight that day and not being able to finalize the arrive can app.  There is the potential issue with the 24 hour wording, but I spoke to someone at celebrity who said as long as your test is the next day they will still give you a test at the pier (and someone has recently posted a letter from Celebrity confirming the same thing).

Good luck on your April cruise.  Yes, not having the results in hand and into the arrivecan app and making our flight home is what I fear I will be stressing about if we go on this cruise.  First world problems but we usually take a couple of trips a year so we are/were really looking forward to this trip after not having been outside the GTA since summer 2019.   I was just talking to my daughter this morning and she literally hasn’t been outside a 15km radius beyond our house in the last 26 months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, juksing said:

Hello

I know it costs $$ rather than free through Celebrity (if u booked earlier) , but u can get LAMP tests through Aeroplan as backups. I'll report back on Sunday what the turn around time was. I suspect since it's rapid PCR, it's probably ~2 hours. 

20 hours ago, juksing said:

Hello

I also have an 11 55 am flight to YYZ through West Jet on February 6th after our Edge cruise. So nervous we will not get results in time. I have heard horror stories about how unorganized these people are in the terminal, talking amongst themselves entering incorrect and missing information etc etc. Such a nightmare and Celebrity are just washing their hands of this mess.

FWIW, this is not an issue unique to Celebrity.  On recent trips we have received absolutely no help or guidance whatsoever to return to the US from Canada and Iceland  after touring with two well-known companies - CIE and Rocky Mountaineer. It was our responsibility to search out and facilitate testing at our own expense and time (as well as to make sure our air itineraries were compatible).

I think it is frustrating that Celebrity keeps changing the policy and procedures, but in the end, they are providing testing in the terminals.

1 hour ago, sippican said:

FWIW, this is not an issue unique to Celebrity.  On recent trips we have received absolutely no help or guidance whatsoever to return to the US from Canada and Iceland  after touring with two well-known companies - CIE and Rocky Mountaineer. It was our responsibility to search out and facilitate testing at our own expense and time (as well as to make sure our air itineraries were compatible).

I think it is frustrating that Celebrity keeps changing the policy and procedures, but in the end, they are providing testing in the terminals.

Originally the tests were covered if booked prior to November 16th which mine was then they added the words 'paid in full.' So many complained and they corrected saying it was a typo.  How can that  be a typo? Unfortunately the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. 

• Like 1

We got off Celebrity Silhouette yesterday morning and getting on Apex today 1/15, got our pct test at the pier after picking up our luggage and clearing customs.  There were 4 of us. First results were back in about half an hour. The other 3 came back in the next hour or so.  

On 1/14/2022 at 7:49 AM, drakes2 said:

I also have an 11 55 am flight to YYZ through West Jet on February 6th after our Edge cruise. So nervous we will not get results in time. I have heard horror stories about how unorganized these people are in the terminal, talking amongst themselves entering incorrect and missing information etc etc. Such a nightmare and Celebrity are just washing their hands of this mess.

Hi there because you have an early flight I would suggest purchasing the RT-LAMP tests from switch health and do they the last day before disembarkation (you will need stream wifi) or do it when you arrive back into Florida using cell data service. It is really easy and you get results in like 20-30 min. RT-LAMP is accepted by Canada. 

18 minutes ago, PTCruiser77 said:

Hi there because you have an early flight I would suggest purchasing the RT-LAMP tests from switch health and do they the last day before disembarkation (you will need stream wifi) or do it when you arrive back into Florida using cell data service. It is really easy and you get results in like 20-30 min. RT-LAMP is accepted by Canada. 

Thank you I will check into this. Celebrity has told me I have to scan a qr code to book my appointment at the pier. Apparently they test between 7 30 and 9 am but I've read here some test results taking 2 hours to receive which is not what Celebrity has told me. According to the email I received last night you get the results in 30 minutes but I don't believe this to be true. They have a lot of  discrepancies in their statements. I can always turn my data on at the airport but I don't know how or where to do the tests. I will research all of this but its causing me some stress.  Had I known Celebrity was going to pull this stunt I would have stayed another night post cruise

8 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Thank you I will check into this. Celebrity has told me I have to scan a qr code to book my appointment at the pier. Apparently they test between 7 30 and 9 am but I've read here some test results taking 2 hours to receive which is not what Celebrity has told me. According to the email I received last night you get the results in 30 minutes but I don't believe this to be true. They have a lot of  discrepancies in their statements. I can always turn my data on at the airport but I don't know how or where to do the tests. I will research all of this but its causing me some stress.  Had I known Celebrity was going to pull this stunt I would have stayed another night post cruise

How did you book your flights with WestJet? If direct, they still should have free cancellation, which goes to a travel bank right away, which u can then rebook the flights. 

32 minutes ago, hoklun said:

How did you book your flights with WestJet? If direct, they still should have free cancellation, which goes to a travel bank right away, which u can then rebook the flights. 

I can change my return to a 2 pm flight and buy some time if test results don't come in on time but we plan on being off the ship as soon  as its cleared.   We will be one of the first in line for testing. 

On 1/14/2022 at 5:49 AM, drakes2 said:

Not knowing what the requirements or testing situation will be next month it will be very tight.  It there a later flight so you do not need to stress.

The terminal is organized, but there are upwards of 20% out sick.  Makes things move more slowly.  Improve by early February?  Maybe, but don't count on it 

18 hours ago, hoklun said:

Self disembarked at 7:20, cleared customs, line of two couples in-front for testing.

Sample taken at 7:45am.

Results for me back at 9:40am

Boyfriends results back at 8:43am.

Results emailed/attached as a PDF.

How much did they charge for the test? 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:49 AM, drakes2 said:

Double check your return flight - hubby and I were booked on that return flight and received an email last week advising the flight had been cancelled and moved to Feb 5, which obviously wouldn't work. Fortunately we are in the process of using up our Airmiles so we had booked with them and were able to switch our flight down and back to Air Canada.

5 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Double check your return flight - hubby and I were booked on that return flight and received an email last week advising the flight had been cancelled and moved to Feb 5, which obviously wouldn't work. Fortunately we are in the process of using up our Airmiles so we had booked with them and were able to switch our flight down and back to Air Canada.

@Ginnyfyr I received the same email re changing to February 5th. Asked about canceling just the one flight but they said no it was booked as a return so I requested a refund and booked AC at half the price. I should see a refund this week as the points have already been credited to my account.  I almost accepted the change as the new flight date was very well concealed.