Impressions on our 1st O trip in post Pandemic world

AlexCherie

14 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

When I grow up I want to be you.

We get that alot!  It had always been a dream of mine to do one and we  loved it. Our first was Northern Hemisphere…I had to see the Taj Mahal. 

I never intended to do a second.  But itinerary changed that year for Southern Hemisphere and the 3 full days in Capetown So Africa sealed the deal - so we had to go!

We did both on the Pacific Princess small ship 650 passengers.  Love small ships!

Such an economical way to see so many places (even if some are just for 1 day) - unpack once, hotel follows you, all food included, entertainment etc.  And you are traveling with like-minded people who enjoy travel.

• Like 3

Ditto ORV,

We parlayed a 25 day Cancelled Insignia itinerary, 4 replacement cancelled cruises FCC and a 20th Free cruise into a 46 day cruise in a PH. Love the people and the crew and we always book on board to seek out any available discount and amenities. 
Big O points are more about the fun earning them. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

Good advice to pre test at home.  Thanks. Maybe I will try that new .gov site opening 1/19 to order free tests and see how that works!!! 

We had no trouble getting appointments at CVS in the Savannah GA area on our drive down to Miami last week.  They open up 14 days ahead; I went online just after midnight and had my pick of locations and test types.  Oceania says they prefer PCR but if that isn't available they will accept Antigen for the guarantee – CVS wouldn't guarantee that the PCR results would be available in time, so we did Antigen and had the results shortly after crossing into Florida.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ORV said:

Over the years we've accumulated a pile of stuff from Big O points, mainly from playing Team Trivia. But truly, even if there were no points or prizes we'd be playing trivia anyway. We've met some great people on our teams, and had a lot of fun. We've enjoyed cocktails and dinners with many team members over the years. Oddly enough when we were on our 20th cruise, the other 3 couples we randomly paired with to form a team were also all on their 20th. It was a perfect itinerary for the free cruise, exactly 14 nights and pretty pricey. Norway itinerary. 

I have a hard time thinking we'll ever get to that 20th. I'm 65 (wow. Writing that hurts, huh?) and I'll be lucky to get 20 days at sea a year now - less, if the itinerary is really port intensive (I understand European excursions are quite costly). Kudos to those of you that have led a life presenting you with those kinds of options. I think that's AWESOME. It's what makes this country so great.

But as the saying goes, I'm not going to try to put that toothpaste back in it's place. We'll enjoy those cocktails and dinners like you have done. 

For what it's worth, I'm emboldened by the change in itineraries for the January 14-28 cruise. Seems like they are hitting almost all the ports we missed! Good for them and I'm just a leeee-tle bit jealous. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

So here’s the thing: 

You want to be tested before you get to the dock, within the parameters required. Here is why: if you fail at the dock, they’ll test you a second time to get you onboard. You fail the second time, and you can’t substantiate a passing grade at home, they aren’t covering you for the cost of your cruise. Period, full stop.

You tested at home, you fail twice at the dock my understanding is that O will cover you. Also, you fail at home you can just save yourself the entire PITA trip. 

You couldn’t have it any worse than us - we were getting tested on a holiday weekend, on a Saturday (January 1!!!) for a flight on January 3. Which, btw, never left town and forced us to drive 22 hours to get to Miami, but that’s another story. 

Sorry but this has me a bit confused.  O suggests the PCR but doesn't require it.  We plan to get it anyway.  We also plan to test prior for leaving for Florida as why waste the time.  But if we did not take a PCR or do not have the results pre-embarkation, are you saying O would not reimburse us (or FCC) for the cruise?   Thanks for all your information.

To be eligible for reimbursement or FCC from O if you are not allowed to board due to testing positive during the embarkation process, you need to  demonstrate you previously tested negative within 72 hours prior to boarding.
Given delays in receiving test results, I would think you would be covered for reimbursement/FCC even if there was delay in documenting your previous negative status.

I hope this helps to clear it up for you

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to the Sail Safe document online the testing prior to embarking (ie PCR 48-72 hours before )is recommended, not required. Should passengers fail to do this and subsequently test positive immediately prior to embarking they will not be reimbursed for transportation back home or quarantine. It does not state you will not be reimbursed or receive FCC for the fare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, HiFi43 said:

We are retired after high pressure careers. We now love starting every day with nothing to do and finishing the day with only half of it done.

My thoughts exactly, HiFi.  Very well-stated!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

To be eligible for reimbursement or FCC from O if you are not allowed to board due to testing positive during the embarkation process, you need to  demonstrate you previously tested negative within 72 hours prior to boarding.
Given delays in receiving test results, I would think you would be covered for reimbursement/FCC even if there was delay in documenting your previous negative status.

We’re in Barbados for 8 days prior to our cruise end of March. Fully intend to take some lateral flow tests with us and test every few days prior to embarkation time, if we DO test positive with one of those we can follow up with a lab test to make sure we are covered with the above as well as out of respect for those we are going to be travelling with. 

We are going to be very careful in Barbados and mostly keep to ourselves and not use public transport and be mindful of where we go in terms of busyness or other distancing practicalities.

I’ve waited too long for this trip to be falling at the final hurdle..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

This seems pretty precise and great response from our learned friend, and I don't want to obfuscate the matter at all ... but I'll add this:

In conversations with my TA, he emphasized that the cruise line wanted to see an effort on your part to be tested and preferably with results in hand when you arrived. Whether or not correct, he gave us the go-ahead in our situation to simply get a rapid-response test  from a qualified testing site on that Saturday.

"Making the effort" is the operative phrase here. It seems to me that Oceania would do everything within it's power to treat it's guests with the utmost of care. Don't take my word for it but I really, really don't see them withholding a credit for a future cruise if you've made a measurable effort to be tested.

They aren't the boogeyman. They are good actors in this play and are looking for other good actors.

Hell, what do I know. I'm already home, booking my next cruise which I should have done while I was onboard.

Cheers to everyone, hope you are all warm.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ToxM said:

We’re in Barbados for 8 days prior to our cruise end of March. Fully intend to take some lateral flow tests with us and test every few days prior to embarkation time, if we DO test positive with one of those we can follow up with a lab test to make sure we are covered with the above as well as out of respect for those we are going to be travelling with. 

We are going to be very careful in Barbados and mostly keep to ourselves and not use public transport and be mindful of where we go in terms of busyness or other distancing practicalities.

I’ve waited too long for this trip to be falling at the final hurdle..

Right? 

The testing at the dock was similar to the lag time when I took my Series 7 exam. We got the results right there, and you found out whether the previous four months of studying was going to go to waste in like 5 minutes. 

Hold your breath moments. Sounds like you have a fab time planned out! Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

On the testing aspects, I'd still like to be totally clear on how Oceania handles testing and quarantine if necessary on the day you embark.   If you test positive on the pier side testing (which I assume is antigen, also known as lateral?) does Oceania do another antigen test, or a PCR test?  And if antigen, are there any scientifically proven statistics to show how often the results are different?   And what if your traveling partner(s) tests positive while you test negative?   Is only the positive person denied embarkation and sent ashore to quarantine, or do both people go, with or without separate rooms?  Or does it depend upon the rules of the country where you embark?

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

On the testing aspects, I'd still like to be totally clear on how Oceania handles testing and quarantine if necessary on the day you embark.   If you test positive on the pier side testing (which I assume is antigen, also known as lateral?) does Oceania do another antigen test, or a PCR test?  And if antigen, are there any scientifically proven statistics to show how often the results are different?   And what if your traveling partner(s) tests positive while you test negative?   Is only the positive person denied embarkation and sent ashore to quarantine, or do both people go, with or without separate rooms?  Or does it depend upon the rules of the country where you embark?

I can say this much: you clearly need to put those questions to Miami. LOL.

Beyond that, I know for a fact that another test is given if you test positive at the pier. They said that on January 4. Given the situation there, I don't believe they have the capacity to give any other type of test. I don't know that without a doubt, but that's my considered opinion.

I was told by my TA that if either of us tested positive at home before we were to fly out, we had due cause for neither of us to fly. There's no separate rooms situation. Both, or neither.

However I do know that after sailing, if only one party of a room has tested positive (the other negative) some cruise lines have only quarantined the positive case. Pretty sure that was NCL. No personal knowledge from our cruise on O - but trusting what I saw and heard, the thoroughness of the staff indicates to me they'd keep all the stateroom members separate. 

And as always, the rules of the country take precedence. That kind of language is all over your documentation. 

There are others hereabouts - @Flatbush Flyer, @PhD-iva - that know this stuff pretty cold. Ask them.

37 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

I can say this much: you clearly need to put those questions to Miami. LOL.

Beyond that, I know for a fact that another test is given if you test positive at the pier. They said that on January 4. Given the situation there, I don't believe they have the capacity to give any other type of test. I don't know that without a doubt, but that's my considered opinion.

I was told by my TA that if either of us tested positive at home before we were to fly out, we had due cause for neither of us to fly. There's no separate rooms situation. Both, or neither.

However I do know that after sailing, if only one party of a room has tested positive (the other negative) some cruise lines have only quarantined the positive case. Pretty sure that was NCL. No personal knowledge from our cruise on O - but trusting what I saw and heard, the thoroughness of the staff indicates to me they'd keep all the stateroom members separate. 

And as always, the rules of the country take precedence. That kind of language is all over your documentation. 

There are others hereabouts - @Flatbush Flyer, @PhD-iva - that know this stuff pretty cold. Ask them.

Most mentions of traveling companions (re: Covid) in the SailSafe FAQs et al. is “one size fits all” when it comes to boarding denials/quarantine.

6 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Most mentions of traveling companions (re: Covid) in the SailSafe FAQs et al. is “one size fits all” when it comes to boarding denials/quarantine.

makes sense.

To assume the opposite is true would be positioning the cruise line to exposing guests unnecessarily to risk. Not to mention, taking the least acceptable position to the infected cabin. After all, who among us want to be separated from our loved ones when they are ill?

4 hours ago, espmass said:

Sorry but this has me a bit confused.  O suggests the PCR but doesn't require it.  We plan to get it anyway.  We also plan to test prior for leaving for Florida as why waste the time.  But if we did not take a PCR or do not have the results pre-embarkation, are you saying O would not reimburse us (or FCC) for the cruise?   Thanks for all your information.

You are correct. It’s all crystal clear in the SailSafe FAQs (check the newest version!): 

Test positive (PCR or Antigen w/i 2 weeks of embarkation and you get full refund. Test negative (PCR or Antigen) within 48 hrs (was 72 hrs for US departures until this week) and, if you then test positive at pier, O will issue refund/FCC and cover your quarantine plus return home travel costs. But, w/o that 48 hr negative pretest prior to positive pier test, you’re SOL on O $$$/help.

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You are correct. It’s all crystal clear in the SailSafe FAQs (check the newest version!): 

Test positive (PCR or Antigen w/i 2 weeks of embarkation and you get full refund. Test negative (PCR or Antigen) within 48 hrs (was 72 hrs for US departures until this week) and, if you then test positive at pier, O will issue refund/FCC and cover your quarantine plus return home travel costs. But, w/o that 48 hr negative pretest prior to positive pier test, you’re SOL on O $$$/help.

January12 FailSafe still says 48-72 hours prior to embarking for recommended PCR testing. Hope that’s correct as I have already scheduled my test for 72 hour prior to the Riviera 28 Jan cruise and these appoints are not easy to get . Made it 72 hours as the testing return time is not guaranteed.

Edited by Gray Eagle02

Thanks so much for the wonderful info!  I sailed on Viking last August and found it very delightful. As someone who hasn’t sailed yet on Oceania, how would one compare Oceania and Viking?  I would love to give Oceania a try but also having challenges trying to figure out all the costs and how they compare to Viking.

anyone sailed both and can give me a comparison?

18 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

if only one party of a room has tested positive (the other negative) some cruise lines have only quarantined the positive case.

There is an account on the "UK Cruisers" forum, by a couple, of the guy testing positive and being taken off the ship (in full protective clothing) at Valencia. He was quarantined in a city hotel for seven days. It was, apparently, an awful experience not least because he did not speak Spanish.  She was not allowed to go with him as she had tested negative and had to continue her cruise. They were on a Marella ship.

Testing is a seriously high anxiety moment waiting for that result 😬

It is such a precise alignment of so many factors out of your control for that single moment when you swab your nose…Covid roulette 😁

Curious to know how many people have taken the test feeling 100% normal to find out positive??

Or how many test negative only to get symptoms after they board??

The original Covid and its previous variants were very harmful to vulnerable people because it attacked the lungs.

But for all the data thus far Omicron is primarily like a cold staying in the upper tract and in large part you feel better after a few days.

I truly hope we are close to the point where this  virus is running its course.

• Like 3

Dear Rizello:

We have sailed on both Oceania and Viking and enjoy both lines very much.  Viking ships are newer and have several excellent special features (ice room, Munch Moments and verandas with every stateroom) but the food quality and offerings on Oceania are superior.  Staffs on both lines are excellent and entertainment is similar (not a major interest for us). Viking includes wine/beer with lunch and dinner whereas on Oceania there is a charge.  Viking includes an excursion in every port (most are "panorama") whereas Oceania provides a number of included tours with O-Life option.  Costs are similar between the two lines and the differences do not make a decision.  We make our decision based on timing (schedule) and ports and are happy to sail with either line.

Joel Barry

• Like 3

21 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

AlexCherie, you mentioned being harassed at the ports over masks'.  Were you referring to  crew members or dockside port workers?  

Also what was the mask compliance on board?

Totally being misunderstood - sorry, I thought the weight of my total comments made the impression.

No. They were absolutely, 100% vigilant in making sure everyone wore a mask, and washed their hands. 

Mask compliance was near total. You'd see people here and there laughing at themselves as they returned to their cabin or chair to do the right thing. TBH, more than once that was me.

19 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

Testing is a seriously high anxiety moment waiting for that result 😬

It is such a precise alignment of so many factors out of your control for that single moment when you swab your nose…Covid roulette 😁

Curious to know how many people have taken the test feeling 100% normal to find out positive??

Or how many test negative only to get symptoms after they board??

The original Covid and its previous variants were very harmful to vulnerable people because it attacked the lungs.

But for all the data thus far Omicron is primarily like a cold staying in the upper tract and in large part you feel better after a few days.

I truly hope we are close to the point where this  virus is running its course.

If in fact it becomes dominant, Omicrom stands the possibility of crowding out other variants and helping us past this. 

To those questioning masks in general one thing that gets little upshot here is that Oceania provides you with a free supply of N95 masks. One will appear in your statement, every few days. 

On some level the CDC needs to take heed of what is happening at Oceania and point to them as "THIS IS THEY WAY YOU DO IT." Not to the cruise industry; to America.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:56 PM, rizello said:

Thanks so much for the wonderful info!  I sailed on Viking last August and found it very delightful. As someone who hasn’t sailed yet on Oceania, how would one compare Oceania and Viking?  I would love to give Oceania a try but also having challenges trying to figure out all the costs and how they compare to Viking.

anyone sailed both and can give me a comparison?

I pretty much agree with the other person who compared Viking to Oceania.  We use both lines, choosing cruises more on itinerary than any other factor.  Oceania goes to more places, including more interesting, smaller places, with Viking being a little bit more focused on "tried and true" ports.  And there's nothing wrong with that; I've just found I love many of the smaller ports as much or more than the big ports.   I think the Oceania cruise experience is a  bit more lively and the food & dining venue choices better, but not substantially so.  I think Oceania's a little cheaper, but we don't drink much, and don't mind lower-priced rooms, and often do excursions on our own.  So when costs on both lines are compared,  they're probably more similar in price than I imagine, all things considered.  I do think Viking comes up with some great excursions, though, and once they offer them, they're not likely to be changed or canceled due to low interest.  Both lines are great and we don't use any others.