Aurea upgrade, drinks packages and service charges

FTCouple

Hi

Please can this group[ help us out?  I have been reading a thread talking about the Aurea upgrade including the easy drinks package however on the MSC (UK) website there's no mention of it. Has that stopped now?  I also remember looking at a thread last year (can't remember where and can't find it) that confused me a bit about service charges. I thought gratuities were included with MSC? If I remember this thread spoke about still having to pay charges on drinks and other things. Is this the case?

Thank you

thank you Sidari. So when you say the service charges are included do you mean they are included in the price of the cruise or they are only a charge that UK customers pay on top of the cruise fare?  I just don;t want to get stung by unexpected costs.  We have a Fantastica experience so as I understand we can order Breakfast daily to be delivered at no cost?  What will be the charges for drinks if we don't have a package?  price of the drink +15%? Neither of us drink alcohol so we are trying weigh up if a drinks package will be worth it or not.

Thank you for your help.

6 minutes ago, FTCouple said:

thank you Sidari. So when you say the service charges are included do you mean they are included in the price of the cruise or they are only a charge that UK customers pay on top of the cruise fare?  I just don;t want to get stung by unexpected costs.  We have a Fantastica experience so as I understand we can order Breakfast daily to be delivered at no cost?  What will be the charges for drinks if we don't have a package?  price of the drink +15%? Neither of us drink alcohol so we are trying weigh up if a drinks package will be worth it or not.

Thank you for your help.

Yes service charges are included in the cruise fare, breakfast delivery is free, buying the odd drink as you mentioned will incur the 15% charge.

You could buy a none alcohol package if it is available, the Easy package might be an option, if you decide on one buy it before your cruise because you save the 15% service charge that you will pay if you buy once onboard.

I have thought of two more questions if people wouldn't mind helping with.
1.If we have been given £100 onboard credit can that just be put towards paying for our drinks. (Not pre booked package I know that doesn't count)
2.If we start to drink enough to actually warrant a drinks package whilst onboard can we just buy one and then all of our previous drinks will be removed from the bill?

2 hours ago, FTCouple said:

I have thought of two more questions if people wouldn't mind helping with.
1.If we have been given £100 onboard credit can that just be put towards paying for our drinks. (Not pre booked package I know that doesn't count)
2.If we start to drink enough to actually warrant a drinks package whilst onboard can we just buy one and then all of our previous drinks will be removed from the bill?

OBC can be used for anything you purchase onboard so yes that includes drinks.

If you buy a package a few days into the cruise I think they just charge you the daily rate for the number of days left. Any drinks you have purchased on previous days will still remain on your bill (I think). There may be a limit on the number of days that have to be remaining to purchase the package, I know there is on RCL.

• Like 1

If you're on the fence about a drinks package, I would just get it now. It'll be cheaper than buying on the cruise, you have a fixed/predictable cost, and you don't have to nervously watch how much you're spending on the cruise...just order what you want and enjoy it!

1 hour ago, karmamule said:

If you're on the fence about a drinks package, I would just get it now. It'll be cheaper than buying on the cruise, you have a fixed/predictable cost, and you don't have to nervously watch how much you're spending on the cruise...just order what you want and enjoy it!

Good point, here, especially as you don't drink alcohol.  The alcohol-free package seems to be at a  reasonable price, and offers you a wide variety of drinks.

• Like 1

Sorry to jump in the thread but we have a cruise booked in April (2 years of rebookings) and it included the Aurea and easy drinks package at the time of booking.

I see from the thread that is not under threat, however -

My wife is T-Total and I'm considering upgrading to the Easyplus. Trying to do it online, the system is forcing me to upgrade my wifes package too which is a complete waste of money.

Is there a way that I can get the upgrade on my own?

16 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

Sorry to jump in the thread but we have a cruise booked in April (2 years of rebookings) and it included the Aurea and easy drinks package at the time of booking.

I see from the thread that is not under threat, however -

My wife is T-Total and I'm considering upgrading to the Easyplus. Trying to do it online, the system is forcing me to upgrade my wifes package too which is a complete waste of money.

Is there a way that I can get the upgrade on my own?

MSC, like almost all cruise lines, limits the drinks promotions to all adults in the cabin, I believe.

Thanks JAGR

RC were kind enough via a direct phone call to allow me to purchase a drinks package while my wife got a soft drinks pack, but yes via their online systems it seems they are always keen to force everyone on to the same pack. These days they check your pass every time you order a drink (on RC anyway) so there is not real prospect of one person 'sharing' their pass to wangle more alcohol.

I might try calling MSC directly and see what they say.

Update -

just called MSC to try and upgrade my drinks package only from easy to easy+.

The lady explained that no, she couldn't do that as everyone in the cabin/booking had to be on the same package - however - she then pointed out that their system is showing us both already on the Premium Extra top package anyway!

I have no idea how as I never paid to upgrade, but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, McHaggis69 said:

Update -

just called MSC to try and upgrade my drinks package only from easy to easy+.

The lady explained that no, she couldn't do that as everyone in the cabin/booking had to be on the same package - however - she then pointed out that their system is showing us both already on the Premium Extra top package anyway!

I have no idea how as I never paid to upgrade, but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth...!

Maybe a free upgrade to Yacht Club! 😉