Medallion app underwhelms

fshagan

On 1/22/2022 at 2:29 PM, fshagan said:

Is there a secret way to fill this information in on the website instead of this app? I'm sure it cost them multi-millions to develop, and I can appreciate the beauty of it when it finally paints the screen, but it really is very clunky.

I  don't have any personal experience with this, and I imagine if it worked someone more knowledgable would have mentioned it by now, but on my cruise's Check-In page it says:

Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version (opens in a new window)

Does that help at all?

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

You still have a land line?

Why?

We live in a 55 and older active community and every one of our friends has a land line and we all still call them first. Often calls are made to the household and not the man or wife. When sitting at home there is a phone on the coffee table, or on the nightstand, in the kitchen.  We don't need to think, 'should I call Joe or Jane', we just call the Smiths. Actually, I don't know the cell phone number of any of our friends. Old habits die hard

• Like 1

Given the issues with the app, I propose that Princess create some levels of registration service.

1. Self-Registration using the App is Free.  Do-it-yourself for those that like that.
  2. Assisted In Person Registration is $99.  Simply show up at the port and stand in line give the agent your passports and information and check-in much like it was before.
  3. VIP Registration $399.  This is where you show up at the port at a reserved time, where you are whisked into a special room with a concierge attendant.  Your luggage is graciously taken by smiling attendant.  All while ladies come in and fan you and feed your grapes.  Next while waiting you'll receive foot massages.  After registration with the slightest incovenenience fixed in seconds, you'll enter the ship through a special VIP entrance and be whisked to room on a special VIP elevator.

From the sounds of all the comments here, I'm sure #3 will be a smashing hit with guests and also a huge revenue generator for Princess.

Win Win.

Edited by cruiseypop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseypop said:

All while ladies come in and fan you and feed your grapes.  Next while waiting you'll receive foot massages

I guess you could charge $599 and the ladies will actually give you the grapes,  rather than feed them ! 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, cruiseypop said:

Given the issues with the app, I propose that Princess create some levels of registration service.

1. Self-Registration using the App is Free.  Do-it-yourself for those that like that.
  2. Assisted In Person Registration is $99.  Simply show up at the port and stand in line give the agent your passports and information and check-in much like it was before.

I have no problem with using option 1 if the App would work on any of our 5 digital devices, but it does not.

As for option number 2, I would select that if Princess was paying me the $99 for all the pre-cruise hassle of not being able to use the App.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I  don't have any personal experience with this, and I imagine if it worked someone more knowledgable would have mentioned it by now, but on my cruise's Check-In page it says:

Don't have a compatible device? Try our web version (opens in a new window)

I have used the web version to check-in for a cruise this December.

It worked 100% correctly for the options that it has that used to be available on the web site such as passport info, credit card info, etc. It also has new working options such as uploading a photo you want to be displayed to represent you.

But one option it does not have yet is DMW.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

I have no problem with using option 1 if the App would work on any of our 5 digital devices, but it does not.

As for option number 2, I would select that if Princess was paying me the $99 for all the pre-cruise hassle of not being able to use the App.

It's easier to cruise another line if you don't have Princess as your absolute favorite and the problems really bother you. We actually prefer a couple of lines over Princess, so we'll use them until they get the app fixed. Unless there's a killer itinerary and price on a Princess cruise. We would probably take and just keep in mind the limitations with their app.

I do read a lot of opinions about the Medallion but I suspect that those who are having issues are the ones posting negative comments. For many of us, we have no issues with the Medallion and love it for a variety of reasons. However, reviews are typically based on negative comments and those who love it don't post much if any reviews.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

I do read a lot of opinions about the Medallion but I suspect that those who are having issues are the ones posting negative comments. For many of us, we have no issues with the Medallion and love it for a variety of reasons. However, reviews are typically based on negative comments and those who love it don't post much if any reviews.

We had a terrible time on April 2nd cruise  both hardware (cabin tv), internet connection lost a lot, user error (me) and nonintuitive options

the request for pick up of room service tray appeared under stateroom amenities

35 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

This has been our experience too.....no problems....cannot understand what all the whining is about either.....

happy for all the folks that have been able to get it to work. we tried to upload our picture for the last 3 weeks and no go.  i finally moved to the web version of the app obtained thru the check in site on the princess web page. it refuses to load.  since i am using a fiber connection and a gaming computer i know it is not my fault. is is probably not the apps fault either.  the Princess computer server is obviously not able to handle all the input as it keeps saying try again later, unable to load information.  very frustration for a multi year cruiser of over 400 days as we are.  if is is not broken do not fix it.

2 hours ago, Kiran said:

We had a terrible time on April 2nd cruise  both hardware (cabin tv), internet connection lost a lot, user error (me) and nonintuitive options

the request for pick up of room service tray appeared under stateroom amenities

Now it us a piece of cake in second medallion cruise  with a working cabin tv

2 hours ago, Cat Lover from Oregon said:

happy for all the folks that have been able to get it to work. we tried to upload our picture for the last 3 weeks and no go.  i finally moved to the web version of the app obtained thru the check in site on the princess web page. it refuses to load.  since i am using a fiber connection and a gaming computer i know it is not my fault. is is probably not the apps fault either.  the Princess computer server is obviously not able to handle all the input as it keeps saying try again later, unable to load information.  very frustration for a multi year cruiser of over 400 days as we are.  if is is not broken do not fix it.

Up loading my photo is one of the things that doesn't seem to work recently. 

3 hours ago, Cat Lover from Oregon said:

It takes 30 seconds to have your photo taken at the pier, so don't waste time trying to do it yourself if you are having problems.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 5:14 PM, caribill said:

I have used the web version to check-in for a cruise this December.

It worked 100% correctly for the options that it has that used to be available on the web site such as passport info, credit card info, etc. It also has new working options such as uploading a photo you want to be displayed to represent you.

But one option it does not have yet is DMW.

It actually did have DMW for a couple of days and then that functionality was removed.