Odyssey of the Seas Jan. 15, 2022 - Not Live Recap

twangster

6 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Bella lives large in our absence. 😉

and it sounds like you and your wife live even larger in your absence. 

I will be on Odyssey (I think) in early April before she leaves to go to Europe.  Will be interesting to see how she compares to Ovation and Anthem.   

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Fabric version.  

In this way I can take off the vax band to shower so it doesn't get wet.  The black clip is gone so it isn't in the way as I type on a keyboard or do anything with my hand and the tails of the vax band are tucked away so they can't dangle into my dinner.

I put mine on when given and only tighten enough to keep it on, but still can slip it off.  I then cut the "tail" off and heat the raw ends till melted so it does not fray.   

Easy to take off in the cabin, but sometimes I just leave it on since it does not bother me any longer without that tail on it.  

On 1/24/2022 at 7:31 AM, 4everAfamily said:

Hi twangster - What was the process of moving cabins? How did it go? My DS and I will be doing our first b2b on the Odyssey at the end of February. We too will be changing cabins. 

I subscribed to your channel and am enjoying your videos. 

Like most ships the changing cabins routine was supposed to be pack your bags leaving items hanging your closet and your cabin attendant will move them while you are doing the customs/B2B process.  

In my case my new cabin was empty on the first cruise.  I asked guest services if I could move myself on the last day after testing negative but they declined.  

I had already met my future cabin attendant by going up there mid-cruise.  Since I’m an early riser I was up and ready to go before we made port as we arrived back to Port Everglades.  

My new cabin attendant opened the door of my next cabin which had been sanitized and ready several days earlier.  I moved my own stuff and immediately unpacked it while we arrived in the port.  

With that I was out of my original cabin early so my previous cabin attendant could sanitize it.  I was all set up in my new cabin but I didn’t have a key yet for my new cabin so I hung out until 8:30ish and then went for breakfast with passport and vax card in hand.  

Since we had so many consecutive cruisers it was in the main theater (normally Two70) at 9:15am.  

There we got our new cards and were led into the terminal to do the facial recognition with CBP.  We were held briefly while all 126 were processed then back upstairs into the seating area for general boarding.  This was well before the terminal was open for new guests.  

The ship was testing the fire doors so they were holding us but a few minutes later they scanned us back on going through the health questions in the terminal.  Up to this point it was one of the most efficient B2B I’ve done. 

As I walked up the gangway security held us a few feet from the ship.  The fire door test wasn’t finished yet.  After a few radio calls they decided to put us in the Music Hall during the fire doors test.  I was the first person back on the ship and we were led to the Music Hall upstairs.  

Downstairs in the Music Hall were 75+ crew ready and waiting to sign off at their contract end.  Some of them have been on since April in Cyprus. They were all very happy when they were given clearance to leave. 

The Captain announced the fire door test,  alarms went off then the doors closed.  After a few minutes he announced the all clear.  

At that point it was around 10:30-ish.  

From past experience I know they get all the crew out of the guest cabin hallways once cabins have been cleaned then they fog the area’s with a chemical spray to kill any virus so I know not to visit the cabins during this time.  Some others ignore that and went past the fire doors to their cabins.  To each their own. 

I had friends coming on so I hung out and waited.  It’s always cool to walk around an empty ship. 

Prior to general boarding the Captain addressed the crew over the PA and thanked them for their efforts on the prior cruise.  He also read off the anticipated C&A numbers expected to board.  He stated general boarding would start at 11:30am. 

Shortly after 9am Voom from the first cruise stopped working.  While waiting in the Music Hall for the fire door test it recognized my new cabin and I created a new Voom account.  At that point I made reservations for The Book and North Star.  I tried when we first were back on the ship but the system didn’t recognize me yet.  This is normal during B2B.  Some ships don’t get the new manifest loaded until closer to 11am so Odyssey was right on top of it and faster than many other ships.  

There was a consecutive cruiser lunch in the MDR but with friends boarding I skipped it.  

Around 11:30-ish the muster stations are crewed so I did my new eMuster visit having watched the videos earlier from my new cabin before breakfast.  

Despite the fire door test it was very efficient and well done.  

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

Like most ships the changing cabins routine was supposed to be pack your bags leaving items hanging your closet and your cabin attendant will move them while you are doing the customs/B2B process.  

In my case my new cabin was empty on the first cruise.  I asked guest services if I could move myself on the last day after testing negative but they declined.  

I had already met my future cabin attendant by going up there mid-cruise.  Since I’m an early riser I was up and ready to go before we made port as we arrived back to Port Everglades.  

My new cabin attendant opened the door of my next cabin which had been sanitized and ready several days earlier.  I moved my own stuff and immediately unpacked it while we arrived in the port.  

With that I was out of my original cabin early so my previous cabin attendant could sanitize it.  I was all set up in my new cabin but I didn’t have a key yet for my new cabin so I hung out until 8:30ish and then went for breakfast with passport and vax card in hand.  

Since we had so many consecutive cruisers it was in the main theater (normally Two70) at 9:15am.  

There we got our new cards and were led into the terminal to do the facial recognition with CBP.  We were held briefly while all 126 were processed then back upstairs into the seating area for general boarding.  This was well before the terminal was open for new guests.  

The ship was testing the fire doors so they were holding us but a few minutes later they scanned us back on going through the health questions in the terminal.  Up to this point it was one of the most efficient B2B I’ve done. 

As I walked up the gangway security held us a few feet from the ship.  The fire door test wasn’t finished yet.  After a few radio calls they decided to put us in the Music Hall during the fire doors test.  I was the first person back on the ship and we were led to the Music Hall upstairs.  

Downstairs in the Music Hall were 75+ crew ready and waiting to sign off at their contract end.  Some of them have been on since April in Cyprus. They were all very happy when they were given clearance to leave. 

The Captain announced the fire door test,  alarms went off then the doors closed.  After a few minutes he announced the all clear.  

At that point it was around 10:30-ish.  

From past experience I know they get all the crew out of the guest cabin hallways once cabins have been cleaned then they fog the area’s with a chemical spray to kill any virus so I know not to visit the cabins during this time.  Some others ignore that and went past the fire doors to their cabins.  To each their own. 

I had friends coming on so I hung out and waited.  It’s always cool to walk around an empty ship. 

Prior to general boarding the Captain addressed the crew over the PA and thanked them for their efforts on the prior cruise.  He also read off the anticipated C&A numbers expected to board.  He stated general boarding would start at 11:30am. 

Shortly after 9am Voom from the first cruise stopped working.  While waiting in the Music Hall for the fire door test it recognized my new cabin and I created a new Voom account.  At that point I made reservations for The Book and North Star.  I tried when we first were back on the ship but the system didn’t recognize me yet.  This is normal during B2B.  Some ships don’t get the new manifest loaded until closer to 11am so Odyssey was right on top of it and faster than many other ships.  

There was a consecutive cruiser lunch in the MDR but with friends boarding I skipped it.  

Around 11:30-ish the muster stations are crewed so I did my new eMuster visit having watched the videos earlier from my new cabin before breakfast.  

Despite the fire door test it was very efficient and well done.  

Thank you for the detailed account of changing cabins. I feel better now knowing how the process works. Thanks for the tip on meeting my cabin #2 steward during my first cruise. I will do that! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Enjoy the day!

Kristen

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cruises are us said:

So, this next cruise only has 1450 (plus a few newbie) people on it?  We board in less than 2 weeks and I would be thrilled with that low number!  

1,455 C&A.  2,349 total guests.  

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LATTELOVE said:

I guess they are not giving the plastic 

band any longer ?

I haven’t seen those in several months.  The complaint was too tight for big wrists and too big for children.  Now that 5+ can be vax they needed something that fit more guests.